CONCERT REPORT: Bournemouth UK - Monday 26 August 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
sandraa

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bournemouth UK - Monday 26 August 2013

Post by sandraa »

I think it's a matter of balance and a little bit of sanity in relation to enjoying the concert and not becoming obsessive about any type of photos or recording . I'm travelling from 4am tomorrow morning to get to the concert so it's always a concern what you do with the camera if there's strict rules. This is my eighth concert of Leonard's and i honestly can't say a camera has ever annoyed me in the slightest.
Should be a great concert and I graduated in that hall so it has good memories for me already.
Albert

Post by Albert »

@ sandraa

I never had problems taking my little Canon G 11 in !!
Do not !! use flash in any case !!
Video takers can really be a pain in the ass, sometimes Cohens own security will get them , if they are close to the
stage....

By the way , if you are at third row, be prepared to rush to the stage at the right time.
Quite often I was front row standing at the encores, no objections to take photos without flash.

Enjoy the concert !!
Attachments
cohen.jpg
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

enjoyed reading all your reviews for the Bournemouth concert--though very sad no "sisters of mercy" or "anthem".Am going to Brighton,and am guessing same set list will apply.How I wish he would make my day,with "Joan of Arc"--the very first song I heard--with my special memories.Still he did play it at the Albert Hall years ago--so I can't complain.
So to all you Brighton goers---have a really GREAT CONCERT----I personally cannot wait!!
Also--see you all in Birmingham!!!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Leif Bodnarchuk's blog - Old Ideas Tour — Aug 26, Bournemouth
http://leifb73.com/2013/08/27/old-ideas ... urnemouth/
Tonight’s show, as best I can tell, was the usual flawless string; however one thing stood out during Coming Home, when Leonard substituted ‘lazy bastard living in a suit,’ for ‘lonely bastard,’ at both beginning and end of the song. If among you there are lyric examiners, try throwing around some speculation on that one.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

sturgess66 wrote:Leif Bodnarchuk's blog - Old Ideas Tour — Aug 26, Bournemouth
http://leifb73.com/2013/08/27/old-ideas ... urnemouth/
Tonight’s show, as best I can tell, was the usual flawless string; however one thing stood out during Coming Home, when Leonard substituted ‘lazy bastard living in a suit,’ for ‘lonely bastard,’ at both beginning and end of the song. If among you there are lyric examiners, try throwing around some speculation on that one.
Too long away from the grandkids.
B4real

Post by B4real »

HelenOE wrote:Too long away from the grandkids
:lol: ah Helen, you could be right! .... and I'm sure Leif means "GOING (not Coming) Home ..... possibly they're both getting homesick :razz:

and btw .... I would much prefer Joan Of Arc to Sisters Of Mercy any day (sorry John!). In fact, if I had a choice I would most definitely include The Window and The Traitor as well. I've been hanging out for a long time for both of them. I do have a feeling that Anthem will be played a lot when he comes down under. But at the end of the day, I am just so grateful that he is still doing concerts and I will be seeing him in eleven weeks and three days (but who's counting ;-) ) when I attend the first of eight and maybe ten concerts, so I will see first hand if there are different songs being played. Anyway, whatever the set list evolves into I will enjoy it with much pleasure no matter what the songs are.

I hope you all have a wonderful time at the remaining concerts in the Northern hemisphere! I think some of you are coming down here for the final ones this tour 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

B4real wrote:
HelenOE wrote:I hope you all have a wonderful time at the remaining concerts in the Northern hemisphere! I think some of you are coming down here for the final ones this tour 8)
I hope this too!!!
I was at 7 Concerts 2013,
Just one more to go... the last on European Ground at the 20th of August...
If I had knew, that "Down Under" will be the End of the 2013-Tour, I would have made a different travelling-plan.
When I would have the Option to go: I would do it... but it is so far away, that's why you need 3 or 4 weeks.
It makes no sence, when you flew this long way for 1 Week. Just to see your beautiful Country... would be a Dream... And in a combination with the Concerts: you could ask for nothing more!!
Anyway: I am glad, that I did saw Leonard and all the UHTC in 2013 again!
And I have use all my Money for the Shows here... but 'm not regret it.
If only something would be left.....
Enjoy the Tour and go at so many Concerts, that you can!
Leonard is better than ever, even when the Concerts are a little bit shorter here and there.
He's more relaxed then ever before!
The Band is better than ever!
As I wrote in a Post before: the withdrawal slowly begin.... I'm afraid of it... but then I listen to the 2013-Concert-Records or look at some Concert-DVDs....
Have Fun and give him a hug from Europe!
Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I might be alone in this but I know that if I went along to too many LC gigs, I just know the end result would be being sentenced to boredom. Moderation for me keeps LC fresh, changing a few songs here and there would not make it any better, sorry.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Tim Dale

Closing Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVMpwIiVeU
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Review in TheTimes - entire article available only to subscribers -
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/musi ... 853564.ece
Leonard Cohen at BIC, Bournemouth

Leonard Cohen, Zen master of song - Marilyn Kingwill

Stephen Dalton
Published at 12:01AM, August 28 2013
Rated to 5 stars

Back in 2008, when this reviewer witnessed Leonard Cohen’s first British performance in 15 years for The Times, it seemed we had been granted one last chance to see the reclusive Canadian crooner as he grudgingly returned to live work to replace retirement savings stolen by his former manager. Half a decade later, with his funds reportedly replenished, the 78-year-old Cohen is still touring, and still basking in the most sustained critical and commercial acclaim of his long career. Skipping jauntily on stage in Bournemouth, the twinkly old charmer quipped that he had not visited the town for five years ...
A scan posted by Russell Weber on Facebook - posted to a Leonard Cohen group "I need a regular dose of Leonard Cohen" -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leonardcohencafe/
Nice review in today's Times for the "twinkly old charmer!"
phillip

Post by phillip »

I would love if he plays 'There is A War'
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

...now it feels like only divine intervention will stop him
Well, we're good to go then, because I can't imagine why the Almighty would want to put a stop to this effort any time soon. :D
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Celebrate if he sings the particular songs you want and celebrate if he doesn't.
I will be thrilled if I hear Avalanche and Joan of arc at any of the 4 concerts left to me, but the 'nourishment' I get from all of Leonard's concerts won't depend on that.
...and hopefully divine intervention will keep him going for a few years .
If it is your thing please include that hope in your prayers.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Japhy Ryder

Post by Japhy Ryder »

phillip wrote:I would love if he plays 'There is A War'
+1

Leonard Cohen, Bournemouth & Brighton

No one would wish an elderly artist to suffer the kind of financial mismanagement that Leonard Cohen was subjected to several years ago. And yet, Cohen's loss – the matter of a several-million-dollar pension fund – is our gain as it has spurred this unique artist (someone with the evolutionary staying power of Dylan and the allure of Gainsbourg) into impressive late-period productivity. For what feels like much of the last decade, Cohen has been packing out arena venues, travelling through his catalogue of entropic spiritual romance, across the years and generations, to a collective swoon. In person he remains a contradictory figure: capable of commanding rapt stillness with his sumptuous arrangements, he is equally a physically agile performer. An old dog with new tricks, and slightly older jokes.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/a ... -24-august
Everybody Knows.
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

sandraa wrote:I think it's a matter of balance and a little bit of sanity in relation to enjoying the concert and not becoming obsessive about any type of photos or recording . I'm travelling from 4am tomorrow morning to get to the concert so it's always a concern what you do with the camera if there's strict rules. This is my eighth concert of Leonard's and i honestly can't say a camera has ever annoyed me in the slightest.
Should be a great concert and I graduated in that hall so it has good memories for me already.
Managed to get some great pix at Bournemouth with a small, compact camera just by walking up to the front of the stage at the start of the encores - and then just staying there. A few others then joined me. There was no problem at all doing this but I suspect security will be a lot tighter at other venues.
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”