CONCERT REPORT: Brussels, Belgium, June 30, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
cohenadmirer

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brussels 30th June 2013

Post by cohenadmirer »

If it be your Will

http://youtu.be/gGSjL-PN67I

At the start , while Leonard is reciting , there is a loud 'shout' from someone in the audience
Does anyone understand what the guy was saying ?? :?:
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
tina

Post by tina »

Another great evening. I really enjoyed to hear Leonard speaking french and singing la Manic. I had the impression, that especially Mitch Watkins and Javier Mas laughed a lot this evening.

One of my personal highlights was meeting Rafael Gayol just before the concert. He walked down the aisle and even if it was only 30 minutes before the concert, he was so nice and took the time to take a photo and to exchange some words. Wow.
(I really didn't expect to see a member of the crew in front of the stage right before the concert.)

So, a great concert with a even greater Leonard Cohen. Hopefully not my last one.
Brugge July 2008 // Oberhausen November 2008 // Cologne July 2009 // Ghent August 2012 // Mönchengladbach September 2012 // Oberhausen June 2013 // Brussels June 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

cohenadmirer wrote:If it be your Will
http://youtu.be/gGSjL-PN67I

At the start , while Leonard is reciting , there is a loud 'shout' from someone in the audience
Does anyone understand what the guy was saying ?? :?:
David - thanks for your very good video! And a lovely performance.
Wow - that is loud yelling.
In his "NO IDEAS" blog - Leif Bodnarchuk mentions someone -
Sung by Sharon Robinson, Alexandra Leaving got a great response, and one gentleman in the neck-break seats I mentioned in the previous entry was probably a bit lathered up, yelling enthusiastically during a few quiet moments, but he either (finger-quotes) disappeared, or made his way elsewhere. Aside from that dude, they really were a good crowd tonight; hats off to you Brussels, we look forward to hanging around in your lovely city tomorrow.
Then in the comments:
Tim says: I wonder if the gentleman shouting was not in fact a Flemish nationalist who was annoyed that Leonard had spoken in French and not Dutch. It is Belgium remember where these things are very sensitive. Superb night though.

Reply - Leif says: Ah, you never know — I must admit, I didn’t understand what he was saying…
http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... sels-show/

And - just noticed on YouTube - more good video of yours -

First We Take Manhattan - including good shots of audience -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZOKqPwfVA

La Manic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fIKTOB9BGg

Sisters of Mercy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdcF1RG9bfU
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
DominiqueBe

Post by DominiqueBe »

For those who don't understand French, here's an English translation of La Manic :
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/la-manic-manic.html
The song is about a worker on the Manic (an hydro-electric dam) construction site, talking to his wife.
Leonard also sang it in Paris, and I think he said he was working on an English version.
I'm a French-speaking Belgian, and I was so happy to hear him speak and sing in French!
Another proof of how he pays attention to the audience.
Annick

Post by Annick »

The Brussels' concert was, as usual, pure pleasure - but I have to say it once more and every time again :D
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate

06/1976 Nancy - 07/2008 Bruges - 10/2008 Bruxelles - 08/2009 Colmar - 08/2012 Ghent - 06/2013 Bruxelles
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

My review. Will share photos as soon as I get them sorted.

http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress. ... -brussels/
Having spent a fortune seeing Leonard Cohen in concert over the last year and funds starting to run low I had to decide on one European mainland location and when Brussels was announced for the day after my birthday it was decision made to go there.

I've being dismayed with how since late last year Cohen concerts have been delayed due to the audience not being in their seats at the scheduled time so it made me determined to arrive extremely early and got there before the doors even opened. I wasn't sure what to expect of the venue after hearing negative reports but on entering was pleased to see it didn't look too bad and our seats were in a great location, 3rd row directly in front of Javier Mas.

After the delay to allow the seats to be sufficiently filled Cohen and his band came on stage to a massive cheer by a delighted audience. After the opening song Dance Me To The End Of Love Cohen thanked us for coming and to those in the high seats for climbing to those high places and for those of us at the front for paying so dearly. As always every song performed was amazing and every song a highlight. In the opening half my favourites included Who By Fire. I don't know if it was my close proximity to Javier Mas but for me it was my all time personal favourite rendition. Mas is a musical genius and his solo at the start this song gave me goose-bumps. I also loved the extended applause after his solo and when Hattie Webb joined in on the harp and Roscoe Beck on stand up bass. This applause lasted for the entire first verse. I never witnessed this before and on reading the No Ideas blog from technician Leif Bodnarchuk I see he has never witnessed it either.

Hallelujah aside, my other favourite moment was when Cohen recited A Thousand Kisses Deep. I adore this and Cohen doesn't normally quote it at non-English speaking countries so I was delighted and moved to tears when he did it, focusing completely and soaking it in. Other first half highlights included an as always sublime performance of Bird On The Wire and Lover, Lover, Lover. I do confess I prefer the version sung on the previous tour but judging this version on its own merits it is great and I love the new arrangement at the start of the song. We found it amusing when Cohen started chanting nearing the end of Darkness as we have no idea of why he is doing it but it adds an air of mystery and makes for a good discussion after the concert! Maybe someone reading this can explain it to me. We were also discussing the line change in Anthem from "the dove is never free" to "the dove is always free".

As always Cohen opened the second half with Tower Of Song and like we had witnessed in New York is continuing to joke about his keyboard abilities and running his elbows along the keys. Having looked at the set lists for recent concerts and seeing both Sisters Of Mercy and Heart With No Companion I had prayed they would remain for this concert so was delighted when they did. As Brussels is a French speaking country La Manic and The Partisan were both performed and received a huge reception from the audience. I love when during The Partisan Neil Larsen comes down from being the organ and keyboards to play the accordion.

Sharon Robinson as always was amazing when singing Alexandra Leaving. Hallelujah as usual for me was my absolute highlight and the final song of the second half Take This Waltz, with an as usual exquisite solo from Hattie Webb and hauntingly beautiful violin playing from Alexandru Bublitchi was great.

As Cohen did his band introductions at the end of Take This Waltz some of us raced to the barriers. The barriers were closer to the stage than in Dublin last year, so I really enjoyed being the closest I have been to Cohen as he performed, since Katowice in 2010 for the encores. While I did of course love the Canadian and New York concerts I do admit I missed being able to stand in front of the stage singing along to So Long Marianne, First We Take Manhattan and Closing Time. These songs all got a great reception with lots of interaction from the crowd which pleased everyone on stage. The crowd reaction after an as always excellent Famous Blue Raincoat was so loud we could barely hear Cohen speak after it!

I understand the times when to be quiet at a Cohen concert but there was one person who in the tiers didn't and it didn't go down well with me or those around me when he started shouting when Cohen was reciting at the start of If It Be Your Will. The Webb Sisters as usual though were outstanding singing this and also as usual for this song I couldn't stem the flow of tears.

I always love when I Tried To Leave You is in the set list as it includes solo's from the entire band. My favourite part of this is Rafael Gayol's solo where he throws his drumstick in the air and catches it. For the encores I enjoyed being able to see Mitch Watkins as he was hidden from my view for most of the concert. However I still appreciated his input and enjoyed hearing his contribution and especially during Bird On The Wire.

The actual songs aside I just loved the entire feel of this concert. Cohen and everyone on stage was in great form with lots of smiles in appreciation to the audience reception. With the exception of the one person shouting I thought the crowd to be excellent and it always makes me feel good when I am a part of such crowds. I felt this was a very special concert where especially with the slower songs in the gentle way they were performed. In trying to put this feeling into words and thinking about it the only description coming to mind is that of sitting near water and the songs being like waves, soft and soothing during the slow songs and then more powerful but still breathtaking during the faster songs. It was simply magical and a night I'll never forget.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

musicmania wrote:My review. Will share photos as soon as I get them sorted.

http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress. ... -brussels/
Having spent a fortune seeing Leonard Cohen in concert................
I thoroughly enjoy well written reviews such as this which give a real feeling for one person's concert experience. It leaves me with the sensation that I was there ! Thank you Musicmania.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

what a night!
what a night!
P1060907.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
thank you for the great review musicmania!
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Gwen,

Your review are always so well phrased and a joy to read. I am glad you got to see the "TOS' antics. If I am not mistaken, the first time he did this was the second show in Boston 2012, where he was bolstered by the audience reaction and he 'had no choice' :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=33245&start=15#p321064

Thank you for you post. Ute, I love your photo - I guess you were pretty close :D

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks FanForLife, Ute and Mary. Great photo Ute. I saw the TOS antics in New York Mary but was good to see it again :lol: I will be sorting photos for my blog later today and will share them when done.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

musicmania

Post by musicmania »

My photo highlights from the concert.

http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress. ... ls-photos/

IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks Albert, wonderful videos as always :D

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”