CONCERT REPORT: London, UK, June 21, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
mnkyface

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LONDON, JUNE 21, 02 ARENA

Post by mnkyface »

Goldin wrote:I prefered the old style of reporting: first post is about the venue (who needs O2 London being introduced, that's another question ;-) ), then everything else. But those days are gone (as far as I remember, there were voices against those venue-related posts too).
Yes Roman – that was Linda (sturgess66) who developed the “format” – that “old style of reporting” - And yes, there were indeed voices against those venue-related posts – and pictures, and professional media reports, set lists, tweets and anything else that related to a particular show - and even video! I prefer that style too - very informative and everything in one place. It's great for those of us who are not fortunate enough to go to dozens (or hundreds!) of shows and must follow the tours online...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Thelightgetsin »

Folks,

3 hour’s worth of Leonard on Friday evening. I attended with my wife, our 22 year old son and a friend of his from university. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed it. The sound was a little "iffy" at first with some echo from the back of the arena but it did get better as the night wore on. It is probably something you don't hear so much with the incredible volume of many acts these days, but you perhaps notice it a little more with the volume for Leonard’s set pitched at a lower level.

Leonard’s touching spoken interludes were much appreciated and the band was “note perfect” as you would expect by now.
“Tower of Song” was the best version I have ever heard and that is one of my “Deseret Island Discs”! Leonard’s interpretation just gets better and better.

The Webb Sisters always make me cry with “If It Be Your Will” and tonight was no exception. The O2 is a big place, but it takes a genius to make it feel smaller. Well done Leonard!

Set List…

First Set

Dance Me To The End of Love
The Future
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
Who by Fire
Darkness
Ain't No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
Lover Lover Lover
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Anthem

Second Set

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
Heart with No Companion
Waiting for the Miracle
Anyhow
The Partisan
Alexandra Leaving (Sung by Sharon Robinson)
I'm Your Man
Hallelujah
Take this Waltz

Encores

So Long, Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (Spoken Intro, then sung by the Webb Sisters)
Save the Last Dance for Me
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ephealy,

Of course your post has value! It was a very interesting and enjoyable read. Every post here has value IMHO. Know that you will not be disappointed when you are fortunate to see LC and band perform again. Why do you think many of us go to multiple shows? Every show has its own nuances and are a joy to see over and over again :D Welcome to the forum!

Thank you everyone for the reviews, comments, tweets, and videos. I love having them all in one place as relates to the specific concert. And, if I don't feel like reading or watching something, it's easy just to scroll past it (but I do partake of everything).

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

mnkyface wrote:
Goldin wrote:I prefered the old style of reporting: first post is about the venue (who needs O2 London being introduced, that's another question ;-) ), then everything else. But those days are gone (as far as I remember, there were voices against those venue-related posts too).
Yes Roman – that was Linda (sturgess66) who developed the “format” – that “old style of reporting” - And yes, there were indeed voices against those venue-related posts – and pictures, and professional media reports, set lists, tweets and anything else that related to a particular show - and even video! I prefer that style too - very informative and everything in one place. It's great for those of us who are not fortunate enough to go to dozens (or hundreds!) of shows and must follow the tours online...
One of the sternest critics is no longer with us. From my point of view, what I dislike most is that most of the concert reports were started by the same person, hundreds or thousands of miles away from the action. Why not let the people on the ground start the reports? Why not give someone else a chance? This is not a personal criticism of Linda but more of the way she has often taken control
of and managed the concert reports in the past.

As for my frustration
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Sorry, I am having great trouble posting from my very old, cheap phone.

I want to emphasise that I don't want to take over the threads either - I don't want any one to dominate! That's my sadness that most of the first page of this thread was taken up with tweets.

As for my frustration with the tweets: imagine the scene. You have just come back from the concert. You are buzzing and longing to share all those special little moments, things Leonard did or said. You go to post - and find that someone who was nowhere near the concert has alredy reported every moment by spending the evening monitoring the twittersphere.

Just my personal opinion and I won't say another word if people disagree with me. You're all entitled to your views too.

Wendy
cathye

Post by cathye »

I so wanted this not to feel formulaic but it had sadly had some elements of that for me as I came away from O2 arena on Friday. How I would love to see Leonard in concert in a smaller venue - devoid of plasma screens which make you feel you're just one step removed from watching a pre-recorded dvd. Many fans would pay the premium for a more personal experience, I'm sure,

Now, I know the grand arena can work - it certainly did back in Jul 2008 when Leonard held the audience in thrall and a collective air hung in the same place that we were experiencing something unique and special- but with the exception of a concert at Nimes (outdoor amphitheatre) I have come to feel the experience diminished by the scale at subsequent concerts (Wembley 2012, for example).

None of this detracts from the sheer mastery of everyone on stage, and I would probably still find myself in a future audience there, I just wish we could have a London venue for Leonard that wasn't so impersonal. What about the Albert Hall or the Royal Festival Hall next time?
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Wendy - The great irony with this tweeting lark is that Leonard is primary a poet and man of literacy. The sad reality is that many people now think of him merely an entertainer.

Cathye - I didn't go to O2 this time, as I wasn't buying into the Ticketmaster game. However, I suspected it might be formulaic, and I see that the set list is virtually identical to Wembley last year. Since no-one here seemed able to get anywhere near the front for this one, Leonard may have felt he was playing to corporate poseurs. :)
Alan_1

Post by Alan_1 »

A great concert but for me spoilt not by the people getting up to go for a drink/comfort break but by some people arriving after the concert had started, some up to an hour afterwards. Why bother?
My favourite part was Leonard's spoken rendition of a Thousand Kisses Deep, which is so magical.
Also Sharon Robinson's singing of Alexandra Leaving was absolutely stunning!
A great night
Manchester 18 June 2008
London 02 17 July 2008
Bournemouth 11 November 2008
London 02 21 June 2013
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

lightasabreeze wrote:As usual great concert. Were does he get his energy from?
I have seen Leonard 6 times in the UK now, but I have a question for those who have seen him in Europe.

I saw him in New York Radio City and the following did not apply there.

Every concert here there is a constant flow of people who cannot go an hour or so without a beer.
A poor old couple on the end of the row in front of me were up and down like yo-yos to let people past maybe a dozen times.
I know they keep the bar open to make money, but theatres don't.
Does this happen abroad or is it just the English that seem only to go for the sit down and drink, because they certainly don't mind missing Leonard. Then later they have to go again because the beer makes them want to pee.
I saw someone walking down the aisle with a full meal on a plate.
Also I hope Leonard did not notice too much how many people left well before the end. I suppose transport comes into that. Couple in front of me left at half time.
Is this the same abroad too?
I have noticed the same thing in the US. People are up and down all night long, drinking cheap wine and talking and texting on the phone. This is really sad. Why do they even spend money and go to the concert period. To my opinion nothing should be sold during the concert period.
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

regensburg wrote:
lightasabreeze wrote:As usual great concert. Were does he get his energy from?
I have seen Leonard 6 times in the UK now, but I have a question for those who have seen him in Europe.
I saw him in New York Radio City and the following did not apply there.
Every concert here there is a constant flow of people who cannot go an hour or so without a beer.
Is this the same abroad too?
I have noticed the same thing in the US. People are up and down all night long, drinking cheap wine and talking and texting on the phone. This is really sad. Why do they even spend money and go to the concert period. To my opinion nothing should be sold during the concert period.
I have attended a concert in New Zealand, and the bars were closed during the show, only open before and during the intermission, not even after the concert. Barely anyone got up or texted, probably one of the most well-behaved crowds I have ever experienced. Similar experience last year during the Berlin concert, but that may have also to do with the venue - the stands and toilets are all the way up some very steep stairs ... you really think twice if you want a beer that desperately ...
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
casp123

Post by casp123 »

my first ever cncert and loved it, cohen was warm, funny and was gret performance, it was nice to have a bit of diversity with other band members singing and performing, javier mas is amazing

i did however, find it odd that people left for drinks during the songs, especially hallaujah ect,
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

elleh wrote:First Cohen concert last night and was in awe - incredible.

I have a question. I thought this line was in 1001 Kisses Deep but am sure I'm wrong. It was something like "I can do love and I can do hate but I can't do the inbetween."

Any clue where it is from and what the line is?

Thanks!
The line is

"I'm good at love, I'm good at hate; It's in between I freeze"

To my knowledge, this has been in the spoken version of A Thousand Kisses Deep from the beginning. It was definitely the highlight of an excellent Leonard performance on Friday. I was a little worried by the interval as LC had only picked up his guitar for the intro to Who By Fire but I need not have worried!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

Greetings. I saw seven concerts in Leonard's 2008-09 tour, but for various reasons did not see any in 2010 or 2012. When Friday's O2 concert was announced a few months ago I took a big punt and bought two tickets, thanks as ever to the wonderful opportunities given to us by this Forum. I was nervous, for three reasons. My seats were good but not great (very near the front but all the way to one side); I'd never been to an indoor arena as big as this and past LC and non-LC concerts in similar arenas in London, Manchester and Glasgow had always been disappointing; and I really didn't want to travel from Scotland to London for a gig if there was any chance that Leonard would return here (I was at all three of his Scottish concerts in 2008-09, at Edinburgh Castle and twice at a 3000-seat venue a mile from where I live in Glasgow). Of the seven concerts I saw in 2008-09 five had been quite brilliant and I had happy memories that I did not want compromised by risking a less than overwhelming experience in North Greenwich.

I need not have worried.

Friday's concert in London was breathtaking. As others have here remarked Leonard was on wonderful form, and we were treated to a super-extended set (even by his extraordinarily generous standards), with 12 songs before the interval and 29 in all, including some that old hands like me could tell (or thought we could tell) were thrown in at the last moment: Recitation with N.L. (as iTunes calls it), Lover, Lover, Lover, and Sisters of Mercy each made what, to my ears, were surprising -- and very welcome -- appearances. Other highlights were Bird on the Wire and Everybody Knows in the first set. Also Who by Fire. And The Partisan and Alexandra Leaving in the second set. Sharon singing Alexandra Leaving was spellbinding, and was one of the most beautiful and moving things I've ever heard. For the encores the crowd moved to the front, we stood, had a bit of a sing, and had 20 minutes (or whatever it was) of sheer indulgence. Famous Blue Raincoat was even more compelling than last time I heard it. It remains the best song anyone's ever written (that's not an opinion, My Lord: that's a fact).

In the four-year gap since my last LC concert Leonard has aged (in the same period I've aged more!). He is more stooped; I sense he is thinner. His skin has lost some of its colour. But his voice (which improved a LOT from 2008 to 2009) remains good and strong. He seemed to be enjoying himself; his banter was witty and sometimes prolonged; he has some new jokes and repeated some old ones; he looked and sounded happy, and utterly in control of what he was doing. It was, as it tends to be, an honour to witness all this. The band of course has changed a bit in my four years away: no more Dino but a violin instead; and a different guitarist. I could not judge between Bob and Mitch -- both offered much to the concerts I saw and on Friday Mitch was outstanding (as Bob always was). I miss Dino's stage presence and his mouth harp, but not his sax; I was confused in 2008 that there was no violin and I thought its addition was a touch of genius. The interplay between the musicians remained as stunning, and as understated, as their individual virtuosity.

What I will take away from an evening as rich as I've had listening to anyone is the mystery of how Leonard and his band made that cavernous hall that is the O2 feel and sound so intimate. That sense that he was playing for me, and that 20,000 other folk just happened to come along as well, was recaptured, even in that great concrete hulk, somehow. It didn't feel like an arena gig. Arena gigs are shite. And this was magic.

I doubt I'll go again -- to the O2 or to see Leonard play. If I'm right about that, I left on a high the like of which I suspect will not be repeated. But that's ok. That's what memories are for.

Wishing all of you who see and hear him in the shows that remain a night of wonder and joy. Greetings.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Tremendous review commonweal. Mirrors my sentiments about the whole occasion. Better than the almost two pages of nonsense posted on this thread (from afar) at the start of this thread. I too was nervous about the O2 but, as it turned out, needlessly. Friday night was just something else, for those of us there. So much so, I've got tickets for September and booked my flights and hotel.None of the other English or Welsh venues during the "UK" tour either appeal or are suitable for travel or fitting in with work.
Leonard just goes from strength to strength.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Review in The Guardian (not exactly an insightful one though...):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ju ... hen-review
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”