CONCERT REPORT: London, UK, June 21, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
cohenadmirer

Re: CONCERT REPORT: LONDON, JUNE 21, 02 ARENA

Post by cohenadmirer »

Bit off topic but since one of the ' tweets' once again drew our attention to the possible facial similarities between leonard cohen and leonard nimoy just a reminder that the 'lookalike game'
has been covered before
http://1heckofaguy.com/leonard-cohen-lo ... -at-birth/

There is of course only one leonard cohen !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

cohenadmirer wrote:There is of course only one leonard cohen !
True and false at the same time ;-) It's in my to-do list, to share a collection of other Leonard Cohens (how many letters S should I use here?)

(another off-topic post, yes)
bigpaul16

Post by bigpaul16 »

Last night was one of the best five nights of my life.
Funnily enough Leonard was there for the other 4 too!!

A few differences last night:

"If it be your will" had a slightly different arrangement. Slightly slower, but beautiful and moving as ever.

I have never heard Sharon sing better than "Alexandra Leaving" and that includes "Boogie Street" open air in Vienne.

Obviously some different songs this time, as "Old Ideas" had not been released before. All in all the set has been nicely refreshed and Alex's violin adds something different to the arrangement of many of the songs.

I thought that Leonard's presentation of "Anyhow" with the full jazz treatment was an absolute masterpiece. Just shows what total performer he really is.
So much more than just a poet who sings a bit!!!

Some people were moved to tears three or four times? I had tears streaming down my face all night long. Good job it was dark.

I have followed Leonard closely and enjoyed all his work since 1972. He has NEVER been better than he was last night!!!
Those who were not there missed one of the classic performances from the best in the business.

A number of people near me left after "Take this Waltz" UNBELIEVABLE.
Mind you, they were the ones who never even applauded all night. Why do some people bother to go???
Probably, they were the same types who kept going for beer.

So, to summarise: Thank you Leonard and everyone for yet another inspirational evening. I don't think you even realise the difference you make to people's lives.
Long may you continue.
Lazysuit

Post by Lazysuit »

I feel very moved; it's great reading these reports; this forum.
I've got so much to say that it is best if I do not start.
Can I instead ask: I really want to know - what was it like from the £25 seats?
Ok here goes I'm going to talk after all because you see when I heard about theses seats, well, I could afford what would be £60 for me and the very beautiful Goddess that tolerates and soothes my bad moods but she reminded me that each time we visit London we spend around £500 and we've got old folk to look after right now; and I agreed and we didn't buy the tickets.
And I'm really curious because the set list is wonderful - 'Lover Lover', 'The Partisan', 'Amen', 'Raincoat' and because the reports are dripping in the superlative.
Me - I don't mind at all getting the back row - I like to absorb the arena, the audience. But most reports seem to come from the block A's and Block B's - of course these are the avid fans - the one's who sacrifice home repair and holidays for the best seats and the one's who are most vocal here.
So if there's any back rowers with a report please share it - even if it's negative; I'd like to hear - did the spirit of the song reach the far walls of the arena.

Good to hear that it was such an incredible performance - I hope you all enjoyed it.
blessings x
Lazysuit

Post by Lazysuit »

Also I want to mention about the beer drinking issue that has been raised a few times here;
Some of us are just too old for acid and amphetamines now.
Of course the best way to witness any event is on acid but we are not all as young as yourselves.
It's just one of the misfortunes of still wanting to psychoactivate in one's old age that beer, wine, whiskey - just alcohol - really does the trick very comfortably.
better to see part of a show in an inebriated state than the complete thing in sobriety.
I really do see your point that the movement in the audience can disturb the focus and involvement that we can swim into during a performance but please; a wave might distract for a moment but toleration is important. We are becoming a corporate sociecty - no smoking, no surfing, no standing on shoulders (I know the last two don't apply to an LC gig) - for those of us here who do not remember Leonard Cohen following Jimi Hendrix at the Isle Of White please try and accept some ripples of human being and help us not make a Leonard Cohen gig a corporate event - others are doing that very well enough already - yes it is a spiritual event but it's also a night out in London.
x
sourire

Post by sourire »

What a joy to experience Leonard and his musicians fire up our spirits in the corporate soullessness of the O2 last night and great to see lots of young people there; his master classes shouldn't be missed by anyone of any age! It was such a buzz to hear Amen and The Darkness as well as a thrilling, rocking version of Lover Lover- and Sharon Robinson still superb on her solo.

At 19, I loved 'Suzanne' and still love the old songs, but I'm so pleased that now I can finally afford to go to (some) Cohen concerts he hasn't frozen in time and is still so creative.Who else can do that at nearly 79? Love his witty one-liners, too-a bit like the best tweets? Can't we allow them a corner in our inclusive forum?

Finally, thanks Leonard for keeping my knees young as I dash away before the final encore to catch that last train, many escalators later. One day I'll spend all my pension on a taxi home. ;-)
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

A gig review, from Dave's Gig Reviews (why is it that vague memories of my brother's Cheech and Chong record make me want to add "Dave's not here!" when obviously Dave WAS at the O2 show?)
James T

Post by James T »

I understand that people get annoyed when people get up for a beer, and I don't recall getting up at any point mid set during an LC concert for a drink, but I try not to get annoyed unless they're being loud and acting like morons.

If they get up and politely excuse themselves I have no problem. Most people wait til the end of a song and try to come back in at the end of the next one, that's good form.

Still, if I am really really engrossed in a show like I am with LC, it doesn't often cross my mind. Maybe in Manchester it will cross my mind. I will be polite and do it in the least destructive way possible. I have been at shows in the USA and the crowds were not so good. Not LC, but shows which require an even greater concentration span and ability to be quiet. Concerts in France I haven't had good experiences with. I've been to 3 and all 3 had shocking crowds. I'm not going to go and say they're all like that but it's a 100% record for me.

Worst crowds ever? Well I would save that title for my hometown folk of Manchester. It's a shame, but I always prefer to travel to see any band when possible, even if they stop by here.
elleh

Post by elleh »

First Cohen concert last night and was in awe - incredible.

I have a question. I thought this line was in 1001 Kisses Deep but am sure I'm wrong. It was something like "I can do love and I can do hate but I can't do the inbetween."

Any clue where it is from and what the line is?

Thanks!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Thank's Linda (Sturgess66) for posting the videos from last night's show. I always appreciate your doing this. I also always enjoyed the introduction to the venue. Not really a fan of 'Tweets'.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

James T,
it's such a shame you weren't at the Olympia last year, or at Bercy on Tuesday!
you may find Leif's blog of interest http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/2013/06 ... london-o2/
I will not comment on the attitude of a part of the audience yesterday
the concert was great, beautiful Alexandra Leaving... beautiful 'Anyhow' and a very talkative Leonard... enough to make me happy, especially when I got to see or to meet a few people there...
I wish I was in Antwerpen now...
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Interesting posts here.

Lazysuit, I was lucky enough (thanks to this Forum) to have decent seats last night. But the first time I saw Leonard at o2, I was right up with the pigeons, 2nd row from the top, and it was absolutely mind blowing. And very moving, despite the difference from the stage. Sure, the big screens help, but it's the music and emotion that overpowers me. The first thing I did the next morning was to book for a further concert, and it's all continued from there.

Elleh, I think the line you're looking for is: "I'm good at love, I'm good at hate, it's in between I freeze". I love that recitation, and noticed that he put an extra verse on the end which I hadn't heard before.

Another thing from last night that I don't think I was imagining: Leonard sang a few phrases a lot higher than he normally does (i.e. has done whenever I've seen him before). As he did so, I'm sure I saw Sharon give him a very subtle smile. Wonderful chemistry.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

elleh wrote:First Cohen concert last night and was in awe - incredible.

I have a question. I thought this line was in 1001 Kisses Deep but am sure I'm wrong. It was something like "I can do love and I can do hate but I can't do the inbetween."

Any clue where it is from and what the line is?

Thanks!
It is from A Thousand Kisses Deep: "I'm good at love, I'm good at hate, it's in between I freeze"
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

I've just seen London 'Anyhow'. As Lou Reed once said about LC, "he just gets better."

Re:
bigpaul16 wrote:I have followed Leonard closely and enjoyed all his work since 1972. He has NEVER been better than he was last night!!!
ephealy

Post by ephealy »

This was my first time seeing Cohen (actually my first concert in 14 years) and i'd made a great effort not to allow myself to dwell on it as it approached for fear that my intense admiration of his work (obsession) would result in my impossibly high expectations being shattered. I truly needn't have worried!

I was (quietly) singing my little heart out all the way through, though maybe i was breaking some rule there as barely anybody else nearby seemed to go further than to occasionally tap a foot? I couldn't help but feel it strange that they should be able to receive something so powerful and beautiful as Cohen's performance with a stony face and have no urge to share in it or appear moved by it.

This was my 21st birthday present and i'm now pondering the implications for any future shows i may see as they will be judged with this as a benchmark and feeling quite ashamed to have witnessed a man more than thrice my age exhibit more agility than i am generally capable of.

(This is my first post here so please forgive it for not bringing with it any particular value.)
'I know I said I’d meet you,
I’d meet you at the store,
But I can’t buy it, baby.
I can’t buy it anymore.'

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”