Is it becoming slightly stale?

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Japhy Ryder

Re: Is it becoming slightly stale?

Post by Japhy Ryder »

Thanks gang.

Yah, was asking about DYLAN's closing numbers NOT LC's.

The internet is a "virtual" "place", where over the years, i've learned not to take much too personally, especially when snippy ( or worse ) comments are bashed out on someone's keyboards.

Leonard Cohen fan forum troll ??? :shock: hehehe ... that's funny.

Any-whooooo, since we're on the topic of set lists, closing numbers, ENCORES etc:

Bob Dylan - Suzie Baby (Bobby Vee Cover)
Midway Stadium - St. Paul, Minnesota - July 10th, 2013 ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lx7yqgesM
Everybody Knows.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Japhy Ryder wrote:Thanks gang.

Yah, was asking about DYLAN's closing numbers NOT LC's.

The internet is a "virtual" "place", where over the years, i've learned not to take much too personally, especially when snippy ( or worse ) comments are bashed out on someone's keyboards.

Leonard Cohen fan forum troll ??? :shock: hehehe ... that's funny.

Any-whooooo, since we're on the topic of set lists, closing numbers, ENCORES etc:

Bob Dylan - Suzie Baby (Bobby Vee Cover)
Midway Stadium - St. Paul, Minnesota - July 10th, 2013 ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lx7yqgesM
Hopefully the moderators will delete these posts, as they bear no relevance to the thread.

If you're going to attempt to troll something, at least review the whole site first. Your boblink is history:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34111

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
Franks

Post by Franks »

Just as information.
A search on the word Dylan on this Leonard Cohen forum finds 5383 hits.
Frank.
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

I can sleep easy tonight now.
Misunderstood
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

A friend who is a decades long leonard fan but hasn't been to a concert since 2008 emailed me this after attending the manchester show on august 31st

Yes absolutely brilliant David! I thought in comparison to 5 years ago (and Andrew agrees with this)he has actually improved considerably. So we thought you are right in your judgement that he keeps on getting better. Of particular note (and I'd love to hear your views on this as a regular follower of his concerts) was the fact that all his songs had more of an edge to them. I noticed he seems to have "got rid" of his clarinet/ wind instrument player (?). The lyrics of his songs have obviously always had an edge, a deeper poetic darkness etc. but this seems to be matched now by the musical sound. A harder sound and more varied rhythmically. His humour was as good as ever. We loved his cigarette joke! And we also both fell in love with the Webb sisters. So yes David thoroughly enjoyed it!

No mention of ' staleness' .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
James T

Post by James T »

I agree with your buddy that it was a GREAT decision to leave Dino behind.
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

YES in a word.

That does not mean that I regret going to recent shows in both Manchester and Leeds nor that the shows were not brilliant but I would challenge most people who have been to more than one show this year and probably more than one or perhaps two shows over the past 5 years to say that they are happy to have heard the same (apart from those from Old Ideas) 26 out of say 28 songs at every show.

Despite the obvious difficulties choosing which songs to drop in order to fit in the likes of Joan of Arc or just about any of the other 19 alternative tracks on the official set list for Leeds I think I could manage it. Over 2 shows in Manchester and Leeds I for one would have preferred around 48 different songs to about the 30 I got. Again is there anyone out there that would prefer just the 30 songs we got.

I understand that all concerts are well rehearsed especially in such a tight band and that every performance is slightly different (Leeds was better than Manchester) but only slightly so. Even the altering of the order songs are performed in would make a difference.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
suerussell

Post by suerussell »

Not stale for me! Of course I can only speak for myself.

I agree if people can afford and choose to go to lots of concerts they may have a different view, but my experience is that most live showings of songs have many different interpretations and this is the beauty of a live event over listening to recordings.

"Anthem" at Leeds was truly wonderful, performed in the moment and we saw wonderful warmth and humour towards the end.

I would think every concert has these moments, and for sure Leonard certainly engages with his audience and shows his personality much more than a lot of artists you might choose to see.

That is why I would choose to return again and again!
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I agree with you suerussell but my point is not that the concerts are bad in any way but for anyone who has been to more than once concert in the past couple of years that they would be better if the set list was more varied. I have seen a number of set lists and have got a couple of my own and they all contain almost 20 alternative songs almost all of which have never been performed. Surely most of us would not object to any particular song being replaced by a song like Joan of Arc or almost any other on the list of extras.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Is it becoming slightly stale?
No - after two wonderful Dublin concerts, not at all.
Those who have attended one LC concert are lucky, those of us who have attended many are extremely privileged.

I have long since given up caring which songs he performs.
Of course we all have our favourites , (I would favour "Sisters of Mercy" over "Darkness", for example), but as explained elsewhere there can be technical reasons for not performing a particular song, e.g. it no longer suits Leonard's voice, or one of the other voices, or they just can't find an arrangement they're happy with. Anyway he has so many great songs he can't include them all.

After the elation tinged with sadness of Thursday's concert, if LC ever performs in Ireland again I will be there - even if he just reads the weather forecast or recites "Mary had a little lamb" ! :razz:
Ring the bells that still can ring...

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”