CONCERT REPORT: Brooklyn, New York - December 20, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Brooklyn, New York - December 20, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

And so - the final show of the 2012 tour ...
Brooklyn in a borough of New York City - and situating things - in relation to Manhattan -
(And a lot of these areas were hit very badly by recent hurricane Sandy ...)

Brooklyn Bridge - overhead view -

The venue is Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York - easily accessible by public transport from NYC. An indoor,multi-purpose arena that hosts sports events, concerts, conventions, etc. According to Wikipedia it is built over rail yards (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) - sort of similar to Madison Square Garden - with which it is competing for events in the NYC area. The building facility was the center many setbacks/controversy - eminent domain issues - financing - etc. - and it is was only recently that it finally opened. (Sept. 2012).
The concert capacity is 19,000.

From Barclays' website -
http://www.barclayscenter.com/events/de ... nard-cohen

Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen has enthralled audiences for years with his masterfully written songs, unmistakable voice and legendary charm. Now you can come witness the full Cohen experience for yourself as this internationally acclaimed artist wraps up his 2012 Old Ideas World Tour right here at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center.

This very special concert presentation highlights music off of Cohen’s 12th studio album, Old Ideas, the performer’s highest-charting album in a celebrated career (“Hallelujah,” “Bird On the Wire,” “Famous Blue Raincoat”) that’s spanned six decades. The Montreal-born Cohen has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, both here in the States and in Canada. More than 2,000 covers of his songs have been recorded by the likes of Justin Timberlake, Bob Dylan, Elton John, R.E.M, Willie Nelson and more, and his talents continue to inspire and influence artists of every genre and generation.

Don’t miss your chance to catch this iconic singer, songwriter and poet, whose music is sure to live on forever.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Brooklyn, New York - December 20, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

Keep Calm Brooklyn
Show at 8:15
(98 Problems to Go)

@OrenNYDN "Thank you for making the effort to come here in these troubled times."--Leonard Cohen http://campl.us/njBf
@meghan_farrell Standing O upon Leonard Cohen's entrance :) @ Barclays Center http://instagr.am/p/TeulX8OcrJ/
‏@JOANPOLICEWOMAN Leonard Cohen is in Brooklyn singing to me. Amen.
@hdmitri Spending the last night before the end of the world with Leonard Cohen http://ow.ly/i/1hi8Q
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

@SimonSpire Leonard Cohen in Brooklyn! pic.twitter.com/u5UoJ77S
@ZiaJD Holy Cohen, that was amazing!! 25+ songs, two encores, and one awesome Leonard Cohen! #music
AndrewKirell Standing ovation for "Hallelujah" and now "Take This Waltz" to close the main set. #LeonardCohen
‏@venetianblonde Leonard Cohen: one of the best concerts I've ever heard tonight. Ever, ever.
@manaples Leonard Cohen! An amazing show and an amazing human.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

astranger wrote:December 20, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Barclay Center

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
Who By Fire
Darkness
Ain't No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
In My Secret Life
Thousand Kisses Deep
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting for the Miracle
Show Me the Place
Lover Lover Lover
Democracy
Alexandra Leaving
I'm Your Man
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz

So Long, Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time
dick

Post by dick »

We are back at our hotel, still floating on the afterglow of yet another exquisite night with Leonard Cohen!

Whatever praises are posted, tweeted, and reprinted from pubs, will share in one area of inadequacy......
It is impossible to give Cohen and his entire support crew praises that truly depict how great it all is.

MSG and Brooklyn shared the same set list, the same appreciative audiences, and the same superb results.

We lucked into seeing Avi and Sam and Vlasta in the lobby before the show, and Sue and daughter, and Sharon found us for a hug. Good new company in the arena, and a likely new forum member on the LC local to Manhattan after the show.

Know that anyone who attended is going to have good things to say.

Congrats to to all of us..it is now 1:37 am......and the world has not shown signs of ending.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Agreed, Dick, and what an afterglow...
An incredible, extraordinary concert.
Perhaps it was the more compact space of this area, perhaps that it was the last concert of this leg, or something else, but the audience seemed more concentrated, and the energy was amazing. As the night went on, Leonard showed his enjoyment, and just seemed very happy.
As Dick said, it was the same setlist as for Tuesday's MSG concert, and many of the same high points.
Everybody Knows seemed to have just that extra energy that made the heart leap and soar.
Thousand Kisses Deep produced the magical quiet of 20,000 listening to the smallest sounds of one man's heart.
A gorgeous solo version of Chelsea Hotel.
Sharon's Alexandra Leaving was sublime.
Tower of Song included new remarks by Leonard (at least different from what I have heard): he asked the angels to go on singing at the end because it put off his moment of a humiliating encounter with the audience; I forget everything he said (maybe someone remembers?), but it culminated in him saying he was "bored" and that was better than humiliation. Very funny, and he seemed to really be enjoying and responding to the audience's laughter.
Hallelujah: mention of the "the holy city of Brooklyn".
Famous Blue Raincoat: I feel that Leonard has done for this song what he has done for Bird on the Wire: taken a very simple original arrangement and created a musical experience that encompasses and evokes an entire poetic world. It's hard for to describe how magical and transporting I've found this song to be in these two concerts.
After Dance Me To The End Of Love, he also mentioned that he wanted to still be touring when he was 80 (I missed some of those remarks as we arrived as he came on stage due to a school event, and were still making our way to our seats at that point. Perhaps someone else got the whole thing?
The concert ended with a powerful and rousing Closing Time. Leonard mentioned the fact that we were right up against the midnight curfew and he didn't want to get "blackballed by the union."
It was an entire evening of highlights: almost too much to take in all at once.
There couldn't have been a better way to usher in the new age (is it the Golden Age?), and let's hope it includes many many Leonard Cohen concerts, at least some of them in New York City!
Sue
asta

Post by asta »

No mention of The Webb Sisters and their exquisite - If it be your Will ? Performed at Brooklyn concert?
sue7

Post by sue7 »

asta wrote:No mention of The Webb Sisters and their exquisite - If it be your Will ? Performed at Brooklyn concert?
Yes, asta, If It Be Your Will was indeed really beautiful.
So many amazing moments, it's impossible to mention them all. :D
Sue
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Some good video - uploaded by filination - Thanks!

Hallelujah ("I did not come to the Holy City of Brooklyn to fool you")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OF9h4D2tg

First We Take Manhattan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTUo7yM5rPA

In My Secret Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7MHWMn8dy0

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxxRNuA1Bc

Bird On The Wire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHnm2a3Rdks
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by yourlilevilone - Thanks!

Video not close - but audio is good

The Future - and Leonard's comments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rzuFyFu1DI
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

sue7 wrote: Thousand Kisses Deep produced the magical quiet of 20,000 listening to the smallest sounds of one man's heart.
Sue
Sue,
Thank you for your wonderful review. The above is the best phrase yet re: this recitation!
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

MaryB wrote:
sue7 wrote: Thousand Kisses Deep produced the magical quiet of 20,000 listening to the smallest sounds of one man's heart.
Sue
Sue,
Thank you for your wonderful review. The above is the best phrase yet re: this recitation!
Best regards,
Mary
Ditto!
holydove

Post by holydove »

I don’t post concert reports very often, because I always feel that any words I could summon, to describe the experience of a Leonard Cohen concert, would be so inadequate. But I feel compelled to try to say a few things at this point.

At any given moment, if I thought about it, I probably wouldn’t imagine that Leonard Cohen could possibly reach any deeper into my being, move me any more dramatically, squeeze the hidden places in my heart more intensely, or transport me to any deeper depths or higher realms of ecstasy than he has already done - & then he does all those things & more - again & again - every time I hear his indescribably profound mesmerizing voice or have the great privilege of seeing him in concert, live & in the flesh.

There have been times when I can’t help thinking that only a deity or extraterrestrial could induce such an experience through such an incredibly transcendent level of art. But yes, he is evidently, as far as we know, a human being - a human being who continues to endlessly unfold & manifest a very rare pinnacle of human potential.

I hope I can be forgiven for quoting someone else’s lyrics in this context; I was never particularly interested in John Denver, but purely by chance, I was once present for a live performance of a couple of his songs, & I’ve always remembered these particular lyrics from one of his songs: “. . .What one man can do is change the world/ And make it new again/ Here you see what one man can do. . .” And my recent experiences, including last night - of the love, the ecstasy, the transformations - the tangible intensity of that mysterious indescribable thing that happens to people in the presence of Leonard Cohen, brings these words, which I heard many years ago, back into my mind: “here you see what one man can do”. It is an exceedingly rare & wondrous thing that this man, Leonard Cohen, does. I am reminding myself to never forget how incredibly fortunate I am to be able to experience such a rare & wondrous thing. I am reminding myself to never forget to offer my eternal gratitude to Leonard Cohen & the UHTC for changing my world & making it new again.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks Rachel for sharing all those feelings .
Have a great christmas and hope to see you n 2013

David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:I probably wouldn’t imagine that Leonard Cohen could possibly [...] transport me to any deeper depths or higher realms of ecstasy than he has already done - & then he does all those things & more - again & again
So it was a typical Leonard Cohen concert last night?
holydove wrote: But yes, he is evidently, as far as we know, a human being
I like the cautious 'as far as we know' ...

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”