CONCERT REPORT: Ottawa, Ontario - December 7, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Ottawa, Ontario - December 7, 2012

Post by bridger15 »

MaryB wrote:The title in the article says 'near perfect', yet I couldn't detect anything in what was written to keep it from being a 'perfect' show.
the cavernous hockey arena
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
pottercan

Post by pottercan »

I was wondering what the "near-perfect" meant in the headline for the Ottawa Citizen review. There was no mention of imperfections in the article from a reviewer who may have left before the 4th encore. So probably just an over-worked editor once taught that nothing is perfect. I guess it was because it was in an arena - but that hardly mattered if you were focused on the performers.

But that nonsense aside, it is so nice to hear from fans who were there. I was and so were my daughter and her husband who are far from "grey-haired". This was her second Cohen concert, his first and my third - ging back to the early nineties. My daughter, who has been to a lot of various concerts said "That's the best concert ever." Her second best concert was the first one we were at. I agree.

We wereon th e stage right exit side in Row J of 110. Leonard's waves to the crowd as he exited were wonderful. The setlist was incredible. The encores amazing. We were overwhelmed. Like finishing the box of chocolates and finding layer after layer underneath.

The view from our $150 perch was great but a hint to others attending shows in arenas elsewhere; if you are sitting stage right, get just a bit higher up than the tenth row on that side to see Leonard over the heads of the ladies who form a V that partially blocks Leonard and presents their backs and sides to the first two elevated sections closest to the stage. But it is a great side to see the organ and stringed instrument playing. The other side is probably better because you will see the ladies facing you and all of Leonard over the heads of the seated gentlemen. And you can always watch the mandolin picking on the screen.

But not to worry about the seating because we have front row, stage right, non-VIP $250 tickets to next week's concert in Kingston. I wonder if it will be my daughter's best concet ever with Leonard concerts then following second and third. :)

And the both sets of tickets were purchased online thanks to being a member of this forum and catching the pre-sale. So thanks to all responsible for that.

P.S. Each to their own opinion, but I always thought that the Mayor of Ottawa was a bit of a tool. He needs to get out more and "lighten up".
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

It was a perfect show I think. The crowd was fantastic and more enthusiastic than Montreal last week. Contrary to a report above, I saw a very wide range of ages at the concert, from young adults in their early 20s to people in the 80s. At the end of the concert one very young (maybe 21?) woman commented to a friend "we just saw the coolest man on earth. There is no other."

LC was clearly energised by the obvious enthusiasm of the crowd, particularly after the intermission. As Mary said, he was at ease, relaxed and having fun. He spoke quite bit, far more than in the concert on the 29th in Montreal. He 'blessed' us, told us just how very beautiful we all are, and of course cautioned us to be careful and not catch 'a winter flu'. I too thought the concert was over with "I Tried to Leave You", but he bounced back on stage with that wonderful, broad smile, took a look at his watch (it was about 11:40), shrugged, laughed and gave us a wonderful version of "Save the Last Dance for Me."

I was able to appreciate La Manic more this time, as I was prepared for it. It is a wonderful song, incredible lyrics, I hope he records it soon. It is a perfect song for Cohen and the crowd certainly appreciated it. I wasn't certain he would play it in Ottawa, but Ottawa is the capital and a fairly bilingual region and he spoke in both French and English throughout the concert. Perfect.

Both last night and last week in Montreal I was blown away by Alex Bublitchi on the violin. What a gorgeous and perfect addition to the band I think. I adore the violin and was quite captivated by Bublitchi.

The only odd thing to me - this is the first time he didn't mention the city he was playing in during Hallelujah. Last time he was in Ottawa (at the NAC) he referred to "the nation's capital". Not sure what happend last night. Has this happened elsewhere?

My sister bought me the front row seats we had last night for my birthday. What a gift it was. A wonderful, wonderful evening. I can't wait until next week when I see him in Kingston, in a much smaller venue, with my 8-year old daughter, Zoya.

I honestly didn't expect a great concert in ScotiaBank Place, and I considered just doing the Montreal and Kingston concerts. What a mistake that would have been, last night was a very special night indeed.

I'm not sure if a set list has been posted yet, but I think it was the same at the 29th in Mtl, including La Manic, but with the addition of "Save the Last Dance for Me" as the final encore.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

From Pottercan: "The encores were amazing. We were overwhelmed. Like finishing the box of chocolates and finding layer after layer underneath."

Well said, Pottercan, you nailed the feeling exactly.

Sigh, perfect.

And please do just ignore anything our mayor has to say.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Sochijava wrote: The only odd thing to me - this is the first time he didn't mention the city he was playing in during Hallelujah. Last time he was in Ottawa (at the NAC) he referred to "the nation's capital". Not sure what happend last night. Has this happened elsewhere?
To the best of my observations, attending six concerts and watching youtube videos from the North America leg, LC only mentioned the city by name once, on opening night in Austin. Second concert Austin and therafter no city name. He usually said something like "here tonight." However, in Montreal. he did say "I did not come home to fool you".
---Arlene

Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

A nice story and letter to the editor from The Ottawa Citizen:

Letter: A chance meeting with Leonard Cohen

OTTAWA CITIZEN DECEMBER 8, 2012

Thirty years ago, I noticed Leonard Cohen walking towards me on Metcalfe Street in Ottawa. I said to him, "Did anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like Leonard Cohen?"

He laughed, and we chatted for a while. He told me that he was performing at the National Arts Centre. I in turn mentioned how much I loved his poetry, that I had studied his works in university English courses.

What struck me most about him was that he was the quintessential Canadian gentleman - friendly, outgoing and polite. There was nothing pretentious about him.

This comes across when he performs. I was very impressed with him; it seems that the rest of the world is as well.

I used his poetry in my high-school English classes in the Ottawa area. While my English students were immersed in Steinbeck's Mice and Men, I would walk across the hall to the Grade 13 class and drop the gauntlet with a fun-loving challenge. I said: "The grand extent of what you know about poetry wouldn't fill a packsack for a hummingbird! Who wrote this?: 'I lit a thin green candle. To make you jealous of me/But the room just filled up with mosquitoes/They thought that my body was free.'" (From Cohen's One of Us Can't Be Wrong.)

The response was immediate. Not only did they take up the gauntlet, they challenged me with authors of their own. In the process, they became much more aware of Canadian poets, such as Cohen.

This contact also increased my awareness and respect for Cohen's poetry. I was, as the above lyrics suggest, "green with envy" over his ability to mesmerize me with his words. It didn't matter whether I listened to him once or 100 times, his words created images in my mind.

During Cohen's London England concerts in 2008, he made the remark, "About 14 or 15 years ago, I was 60 years old, just a kid with a crazy dream." Well, Cohen's beautiful words have created a new generation of kids with crazy dreams.

Last week, my daughter Michelle left an "urgent" phone message for me. When I hastily responded, she said, "Christmas has come early; I have box tickets to see Leonard Cohen. Would you like to come with us?" You see, my daughter is part of the Shrek generation of new Cohen fans, and she loves his music and lyrics as much as I do. My response was immediate; how many times can one say yes in a heartbeat to see Cohen in an Ottawa concert?

Leonard Cohen is Canada's poet laureate. To borrow the words from Carly Simon's theme song for the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me: "And nobody does it better/Though sometimes I wish someone could/Nobody does it quite the way you do/Why'd you have to be so good?"

My other Christmas wish? It would be to have another chance meeting with Leonard Cohen. That would make me happy for the next 30 years.

Gerry Boley, St. Catharines
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

Thanks Arlene, it is good to know that it wasn't just Ottawa! I had only seen the Montreal show where he referenced 'home', so I was surprised.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

bridger15 wrote:
Sochijava wrote: The only odd thing to me - this is the first time he didn't mention the city he was playing in during Hallelujah. Last time he was in Ottawa (at the NAC) he referred to "the nation's capital". Not sure what happend last night. Has this happened elsewhere?
To the best of my observations, attending six concerts and watching youtube videos from the North America leg, LC only mentioned the city by name once, on opening night in Austin. Second concert Austin and therafter no city name. He usually said something like "here tonight." However, in Montreal. he did say "I did not come home to fool you".
---Arlene

If I remember correctly, last night he said "I did not dare come here to fool you".

Paula - I posted the setlist earlier today. Please can you take a look and see if you agree with it. viewtopic.php?f=74&t=33015&start=15

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

bridger15 wrote:
MaryB wrote:The title in the article says 'near perfect', yet I couldn't detect anything in what was written to keep it from being a 'perfect' show.
the cavernous hockey arena
---Arlene
Arlene,

Thank you for the clarification. That is indeed a travesty and would keep it from being perfect :razz: :lol:

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
stfa

Post by stfa »

bridger15 wrote:
---Arlene
At ACC (TO) mentioned 'Toronto" first night, second night was something like "you fine people"...
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
graciemia

Post by graciemia »

In Portland he said, "I didn't come through the rain to fool you" which brought appreciative laughter.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

stfa wrote: At ACC (TO) mentioned 'Toronto" first night, second night was something like "you fine people"...
Thanks for the update, stfa. I checked out a first night vid and disappointngly LC pronounced the second "t".
There may have been an even bigger roar from the crowd if he had said it the local way "Torono" :D
---Arlene

mutti

Post by mutti »

I grew up in Vancouver and we pronouce Toronto with 2 T's...
Forgive me if I do that but I have never heard it pronouced with one T.
someone enlighten me...
thanks Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

mutti wrote:I grew up in Vancouver and we pronouce Toronto with 2 T's...
Forgive me if I do that but I have never heard it pronouced with one T.
someone enlighten me...
thanks Leslie 8)
I grew up in Toronto and environs - and pronounce it with two t's (Toronto)
Some people may pronounce it "Trana"
But frequently people call it "T-O" (spelling out the two letters)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=5426170
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

From a recent article about the movie Argo:
While taking refuge in the house of then Canadian ambassador to Iran, Ken Taylor (Victor Garber), the diplomats are trained by Mendez to act and behave like a Canadian film crew, right down to not pronouncing the second “t” in Toronto.
http://o.canada.com/2012/09/10/the-argo ... e-in-iran/
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”