LA MANIC : a perfect offering to Montreal and the World.

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Last edited by Tchocolatl on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
VELOVERMONT

Re: LA MANIC : a " perfect offering" to Montreal and the Wor

Post by VELOVERMONT »

This commenting by Bromfield on " LA MANIC " is a good occasion to reacquaint worldwide cohenites with the song.

For that matter, simply go to the first post of this topic, where, in addition to a full translation and many other details about the song, Leonard's and Georges Dor's rendering are to be found.
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
BEATRIZ SALLES

Re: LA MANIC : a perfect offering to Montreal and the World

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

La Manic tonight in Paris!

Thank you LC&LC for the update! :D :D
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
mary emma

Post by mary emma »

Thank you Beatriz! Anymore news from the Paris concert?
See you in Antwerp :)
Mary Emma
mary emma

Post by mary emma »

Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I have a question for the people of Paris who were at the Bercy concert. I know you will appreciate La Manic as a song sung in French and something new in the European selists, but does the song have the same special meaning for the people of France as it does for the Quebecois?

Just curious.

Wendy
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Would it be fair to suggest that Dor's La Manic has a slight re-imagined resemblance to Brel's Le Moribond (realised in Anglo hit form as Seasons In The Sun)? The Brel song is certainly brought to mind for me when I listen to Dor's song as someone previously unfamiliar with the French-Canadian song but both familiar and extremely fond of the Belgian-French one. Seeing Cohen's performance of La Manic from the Quebec concert last year also brings to mind some of Brel's gravitas (almost like Cohen is channeling Brel whilst remaining his own elder statesman self), which makes revisiting of the song in Paris an oblique but rather magical confluence. Lucky Parisians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAiGIRBrY5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbtZqlLVNNc

In comparing the songs, you have to hit the breaks quite a bit on Brel's song, which is, of course, something which Terry Jacks did when he recorded his version.

The lyrics from the Dor song are rather excellent (thanks for the translations), and also bring to mind Cohen's oft used line that "If I knew where the good songs come from I'd go there more often".....

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”