CONCERT REPORT: Calgary, Alberta, November 16, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
Albert

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Calgary, Alberta, November 16, 2012

Post by Albert »

There are quite a few aspects in Bells comment,which are worth at least thinking about.......

It seems there is a zero tolerance in this forum against any criticism of Cohen ,his band and the chosen venues !!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I so agree with you, Esther. Adorable!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Albert wrote:There are quite a few aspects in Bells comment,which are worth at least thinking about.......
I agree Albert. I also agree with Steve's comments about the writing style which makes it a bit difficult to follow the reviewer's point at times. However, what I think he is saying is that Leonard and the band delivered but somehow the night lacked the magic that we devotees have come to expect from Leonard's shows. Whether that is down to the "barn" of a venue I couldn't say as I have only ever seen the Saddledome from the outside. Maybe it was down to the audience. Maybe it was even down to unrealistically high expectations which the reviewer might have had from reports of previous shows. We will never know but I do think the author has a right to say what he thinks and I sort of like the fact that he has said something different rather than simply emulating the glowing reports of others.

Wendy
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

sturgess66 wrote:
So Long Marianne (there is a major "rose event" at the beginning) :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBmCgb1qx4
Thank you for this one! I love to see roses on stage for "So long...." even if they aren't mine.... :D :D
A beautiful long stem rose indeed! As must of you know, I'm an expert on roses!! :lol: :lol:
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
B4real

Post by B4real »

haha! L-O-V-E the spontaneous 'major rose event'!! The melody is not quite Tango but ..... My, Oh, My :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
Albert wrote:There are quite a few aspects in Bells comment,which are worth at least thinking about.......
I agree Albert. I also agree with Steve's comments about the writing style which makes it a bit difficult to follow the reviewer's point at times. However, what I think he is saying is that Leonard and the band delivered but somehow the night lacked the magic that we devotees have come to expect from Leonard's shows. Whether that is down to the "barn" of a venue I couldn't say as I have only ever seen the Saddledome from the outside. Maybe it was down to the audience. Maybe it was even down to unrealistically high expectations which the reviewer might have had from reports of previous shows. We will never know but I do think the author has a right to say what he thinks and I sort of like the fact that he has said something different rather than simply emulating the glowing reports of others.

Wendy
More zero tolerance? :lol:
Glad to see this article from S.P. O'Neill - the "Calgary Herald"
It's one thing to have an "opinion" but from reading Bell's rather confused article -my thought was that it was Bell who was having the bad night - not Leonard and UHTC.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainm ... story.html
Bell's Review Not Quite What It Might Have Been

By S.P. O'Neill, Calgary Herald November 20, 2012

Leonard Cohen performs at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.
Photograph by: Stuart Gradon , Calgary Herald

Re: "Cohen concert not quite what it might have been," Mike Bell, Opinion, Nov. 17, and "Young just never gets old," Mike Bell, Opinion, Nov. 14.

I attended both the Neil Young and Leonard Cohen concerts last week.

Despite being there for the whole thing, I left the Neil Young concert disappointed at having missed his music. My ears were ringing after an assault of white noise that made it very difficult to understand Neil's lyrics or appreciate his guitar skills.

I erroneously laid the blame with the Dome. After all, you can't expect a hockey arena to be acoustically suitable for the complex sounds of music.

I almost gave Leonard Cohen a pass, thinking it is better not to listen to great music than to experience it crippled by a poor venue. What a loss that would have been for me.

The sound quality was amazing. I could hear each individual instrument, as well as understand the lyrics to the songs, and what powerful lyrics they were. The sound technicians had it spot on. They mastered the Dome and coaxed magic from it.

I do not understand how Mike Bell could be critical of Cohen's sound and rave about the quality at Neil Young's concert.

It leaves me wondering if Bell has a taste for white noise or just does not like Young's music and prefers it muted by a sonic barrage.

S.P. O'Neill, Calgary
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
holydove

Post by holydove »

I'm glad to see this article, too - esp. 3 days later & published in the same newspaper, as a response to the previous one. Thank you for posting it, Linda; & thank you to S.P. O'Neill - it's always good to have a second opinion!

Editing: nice photo too!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Just another Hallelujah - :D

Uploaded by billqxyz - Thanks!

Hallelujah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thk8nr6VOME
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Excellent response from S.P. O'Neill and I just love that photo of Leonard :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A video just uploaded for this show by Craig P -

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VVAsJbcSRA

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”