CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, BC November 12, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
imaginary friend

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, BC November 12, 2012

Post by imaginary friend »

Thanks for the setlist as well, Linda.
(I forgot to mention Heart With No Companion – it was wonderful!)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This video (according to comments) might still be in the "editing process"

Uploaded by billiemargaret100 - Thanks

It is a compilation - some beautiful photographs with audio of "Anyhow" (from the album)
Then - good video from show - of - A Thousand Kisses Deep; Suzanne; I'm Your Man

Leonard Cohen Live in Vancouver 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pE3zhZTYSA
dari

Post by dari »

This is a beautifully done video of I'm Your Man with some great photos too!

https://vimeo.com/53131364#
Video by Cyrus Omoomian
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

dari wrote:This is a beautifully done video of I'm Your Man with some great photos too!

Video by Cyrus Omoomian
Thanks so much Dari! Beautiful video - and terrific performance by Leonard & UHTC!

Also - I just copied your post over to SJ thread - those lucky people who went to that show - got to see this performance live. 8) :D
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From TheSnipeNews -
http://www.thesnipenews.com/music/conce ... vancouver/

[CLICK ON LINK TO SEE A LOT OF PHOTOGRAPHS]
Leonard Cohen at Rogers Arena, Vancouver
Published On: November 14, 2012 - 12:20 am

Leonard Cohen at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, Nov 12 2012. Christine Redmond photo

Review and photos—Leonard Cohen at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, Nov 12 2012

Review by Shawn Conner/photos by Christine Redmond

It’s been said before, but deserves to be said again: Leonard Cohen is a class act.

It’s not just his sartorial flare, though his suits are well-fitted and his fedora strikes just the right touch of world-weary romanticism/cynicism (Raymond Chandler crossed with Frank Sinatra). It’s not just the way he’s more than happy to play for three hours, and stuff that time with the songs people came to see and hear (“Suzanne”, “Hallelujah”, “Closing Time”, to name a few). Nor is it the way he’s brought along a nine-piece band of top-flight musicians and singers to bolster his dry, raspy croak.

No, it’s the way Cohen, still spry, pays honour to those musicians and the audience.

The Montrealer never seems to take for granted either the fans who have shelled out big bucks to see him or the musicians who have thrown in their lot with the septuagenarian. To show his appreciation, or something, at Monday night’s Vancouver show he spent a good deal of his time kneeling, sometimes in front of Javier Mas, his Spanish-born bandurria and 12-string-guitar player, sometimes (it seemed) in deference to the audience.

Cohen introduced the whole band twice, and gave everyone a chance at the spotlight. He noted that background vocalist Sharon Robinson, who first accompanied him on tour in 1979, had co-written some of his best-known songs. During the second half (following an intermission), Robinson was given a solo turn on the tune “Alexandra Leaving”, from Cohen’s 2001 album Ten New Songs. The other two backup singers, Charley and Hattie Webb, also got turns in the spotlight.

Sharon Robinson and Leonard Cohen at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, Nov 12 2012.
Christine Redmond photo

True, there were times when Cohen was at his most mockable—that is, his most Cohen-esque—especially when reciting the verses of “A Thousand Kisses Deep”, made even more louche by his deep-voiced growl (if you closed your eyes one could imagine a muppet saying lines like “I’m turning tricks, I’m getting fixed, I’m back on Boogie Street”). But to his credit, Cohen and his band made even “Hallelujah” and “Suzanne” seem, if not fresh, then certainly as though perhaps not all the life had been squeezed out of them by the dozens if not hundreds of lazy and ill-informed cover versions they’ve inspired.

There were a few new songs, from his 2012 album Old Ideas, thrown into the evening as well, including “Going Home”, “Amen” and “Darkness”. These sounded good but not great up against a catalogue that includes “Ain’t No Cure for Love”, “Take This Waltz” and “Bird On a Wire”. Also notable was a timely “Democracy”, a disco-fied “First We Take Manhattan” and an absolutely stellar “Closing Time” to close the show. But you’d pretty much have to hate music not to love that one, a marvel of melody and wisdom. And what better way to end a night than with the words, ”And I lift my glass to the awful truth/which you can’t reveal to the ears of youth/except to say it isn’t worth a dime.”

Yep, a class act all the way. Memo to Dylan.

[More Leonard Cohen at Rogers Arena photos - click on link ]
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by ewajer arch - Thanks!

So Long Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qrmtYG1rc
Sippingglory

Post by Sippingglory »

When I walked into Rogers Arena to see Leonard Cohen for the first time last Monday I did not know what to expect. Still coming down from a rock 'n roll high experienced at the same arena of the previous night with Neil Young, I was ready to relax with some softer sounds. As we walked to the very good seats we had on the floor,purchased by my very gracious boyfriend, i felt very out of place. Here I was in old jeans, boots and a T-shirt nursing a mild hangover. It dawned on me that the combined cost of the purses and shoes alone in the row we sat was probably worth more than the car I drive. I've looked up and around. An ocean of wealthy white faces wearing black. My first instinct was to bolt. "I do not fit in here"
was my first thought. There was no reason why I couldn't simply enjoy the sounds of Cohen from the privacy of my home and car. I didn't need to be here. The house lights dimmed.

The next 3+ hours was an experience I will never forget. Cohens Words, voice and music Sent me on emotional journey. I did not have to jump. I did not have to scream. I don't think I even clapped until the very end. One song would make me weep. The next would make me laugh. Yet another would make me question everything. The journey continued to include comfort,arousal, Insecurity, Fear, and at times contempt. When Sharon Robinson sang her solo the beauty of it brought tears to my eyes. Almost a week later I think I'm still recovering.

Please keep in mind that unlike most people on this forum I am a fairly new Cohan fan. I got turned on to him by my loving boyfriend who gave me a copy of old ideas when it was released. Of course I was familiar with songs like Halleluja, Suzanne, and Bird on a wire. I will admit however that the versions of these songs I've heard in the past were not from Cohen himself. I didn't know the titles of most of the songs I was hearing. To be fair I don't think it really mattered. All I know is that my mind was put on a journey I will never forget. The beauty I experienced was beyond compare. Thank you to Leonard Cohen, Sharon Robinson, the Webb sisters, and all the other amazing musicians, lighting people Sound techicians and backstage staff that produce such a wonderful event.
dari

Post by dari »

sturgess66 wrote:
dari wrote:This is a beautifully done video of I'm Your Man with some great photos too!

Video by Cyrus Omoomian
Thanks so much Dari! Beautiful video - and terrific performance by Leonard & UHTC!

Also - I just copied your post over to SJ thread - those lucky people who went to that show - got to see this performance live. 8) :D

Thank you... I am sorry I posted it in the wrong place by mistake :-)
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you sippingglory for your beautiful report. Sounds like you had a great experience at the concert.
Great to hear what you had to say.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

sippingglory,

It is always wonderful to hear a report from someone who has not seen him before, plus the fact that you were only 'aware' of him. This brings a freshness to your report that those of us who have seen him multiple times cannot convey. I was aware of his music at the time when I first saw him perform, but there were one or two songs that I was not that familiar with at the time. Your words made me remember what it was like when I first saw him live. Thank you for your beautiful report and welcome to our forum! Hope you stick around.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

Thank you sippingglory for your lovely report. Long may you remain a LC fan, it's an addiction you know! ;-)
mixedup

Post by mixedup »

the full Vancouver encore by Stefano Biefeni:

So Long, Marianne>First We Take Manhattan>Famous Blue Raincoat>Going Home>Closing Time (Full HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMnlQMFUwA

51 minutes by Alphonse Quenneville:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACcFYqi ... vz&index=9

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”