CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, BC November 12, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, BC November 12, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

Leonard Cohen and UHTC have crossed the longest international border in the world - into Canada - Leonard's native land.
(Actually - reports from Joey indicate that they are still "trying" to cross that border - a few delays - but are now making progress. :lol: )
The last show in Vancouver, British Columbia by Leonard Cohen took place on December 2, 2010.
The venue is Rogers Arena - an indoor sports arena in downtown Vancouver that opened in 1995. It is home to Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League and was the site for the ice hockey events at the 2010 Winter Olympics. The concert capacity is 19,000.

From Joey/Camp Cohen/Notes From The Road -
Who’s In Charge of This Banana Republic?
Hattie Webb steps up and looks the part as the band watches the clock tick.
The entourage is stuck on the tarmac waiting for customs and immigration to clear the party.
Time to soundcheck: 1h 30m.

Now We’ve Got Some Action
Canadian Officials have arrived and they are making fast time processing all the paperwork.
Now we’re cooking. Let’s hope for a smooth move.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/355 ... lic-hattie
mutti

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Vancouver, BC November 12, 2012

Post by mutti »

Joan of Arc! Magnificant and Bravo to Leonard and Hattie for this treat!
The Vancouver concert tonight was absolutely outstanding! A wonderful performance by Leonard!
Of the 4 concerts I have seen in the last 14 days this one was unbelievable.
The crowd adored Leonard and was super. Leonard and the band seemed genuinely moved by the response of the crowd.
Gloria Macarenko from CBC Music spoke at the beginning welcoming Leonard to the first concert of the Canadian tour and spoke of his accolades.
The last song was Closing Time and people stood dancing.
Oh Canada it's good to have Leonard Cohen back for another Canadian tour.
Breathtaking describes how I feel tonight!
Thank you Leonard.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Sights of Soundcheck
From earlier today, sound check in the Roger’s.

We Are All Canucks
And we will go on in 5 mins

Ladies and Gentlemen of Vancouver
Let’s Start The Show

Intermission
Musical director Roscoe Beck takes advantage of the break to review some
show notes on the way back to the Green Room in Vancouver.

The Conversation Continues!
This one has got legs

It Does Tend To Fly
The nights when the show hits all the highs.

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/356 ... -vancouver
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by gr4ffiti7 - Thanks!

A Thousand Kisses Deep (partial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNYE8asNpBo
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Vancouver Sun -
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html
Review: Leonard Cohen Makes Old Ideas Feel New In Vancouver

By Francois Marchand, Vancouver Sun November 12, 2012 11:19 PM

Wearing his trademark black fedora, Canadian poet and singer Leonard Cohen sings
“Dance Me to the End of Love” to open his set on the stage at Rogers Arena Monday, November 12, 2012 in Vancouver, B.C.
Photograph by: Ian Lindsay , PNG

LEONARD COHEN

When: Monday night

Where: Rogers Arena

VANCOUVER - With its dark, gospel overtones, Leonard Cohen's latest album Old Ideas deals with the legend's own mortality, acting as a re-assessment of Cohen's own past, burdens, troubles and sorrows.

But although Cohen describes himself as a "lazy bastard living in a suit" on the funerary Going Home, it's a rather spry 78-year-old that graced the stage at Rogers Arena Monday night, delivering a near-three hour concert in two parts that re-explored a wide cross-section of the legend's repertoire.

And forget funerary: Though much of Cohen's material easily lends itself to doom and gloom, the poet/musician has always been a master at peppering his shadowy musings with a grin-inducing wryness and a sardonic sense of humour, something that came easily for the master wordsmith.

[View photos from the show here
http://www.vancouversun.com/search/Phot ... l?tab=PHOT ]

Sauntering onto the stage to open with Dance Me to the End of Love, the suit-clad, hat-topped Cohen quickly leaped into The Future, his classic nihilistic vision that still rings true to this day - "I've seen the future, brother, it is murder" - his deep gravelly voice mingling with the harmonies of backup singer and longtime collaborator Sharon Robinson and sisters Hattie and Charley Webb.

"I'd like to stay on the road for another few years mostly because I want to start smoking again when I turn 80," Cohen said early on, thanking the near sold-out crowd. "And I don't want to do it alone."

The first half of the concert was essentially a slightly re-arranged version of recent live incarnations, one essential track coming hot on the heels of the other.

Cohen's six-piece band kept the arrangements light and airy, dampening Cohen's deep, breathy voice.

The sound mix was balanced just right to accommodate Cohen, whose vocal power isn't exactly what it used to be, though the soul was still all there.

Cohen would spend much of the evening on his knees as if professing his faith in the power of song, opening Bird on the Wire with his head bowed and his eyes closed, uncovering his head in respect during Mitch Watkins' striking guitar solo and Neil Larsen's stellar display on the Hammond B3.

Some of the arrangements twisted classics upside down.

The doom-laden Everybody Knows took on a distinctly Balkan flavour with guitarist Javier Mas plucking the 12 strings on his archilaud, while Who By Fire took on a Peruvian vibe with harp and violin, Cohen taking a turn on acoustic guitar and Roscoe Beck pulling some amazing tricks on stand-up bass.

Cohen's band was flat-out spectacular all around, flashy without being in-your-face, giving Cohen's words the space they needed. And sometimes the pauses between the words carried as much weight as the lyrics themselves, the man exuding that old timeless kind of spellbinding cool that had the crowd entranced.

"Hey Cohen would you lighten up?" the man said before a breezy Ain't No Cure For Love, and he did more than a few times often grinning as he sang.

The material from Old Ideas fit right in with Cohen's classics, Amen and Come Healing resonating with clarity and grace, Cohen's deep voice almost preacher-like.

Because ultimately many will approach a Cohen performance more as a spiritual experience than a concert, and on that level Cohen certainly delivered, reciting poem A Thousand Kisses Deep to a crowd that held its breath as Cohen spoke of the frailty of love and body.

And just like that Cohen was sauntering off the stage for the intermission, having thanked just about everyone on his crew and his fans for being there.

Pure class.

The second half of the show would be filled with momentous highlights: Tower of Song performed Casio-pop style with Cohen punching the keys on his old synth, Suzanne on the acoustic guitar with Cohen's shadow looming large on the curtains at the back of the stage and virtuoso Alexandru Bublitchi making his instrument weep, Waiting for the Miracle, which benefited from a Mediterranean vibe, the steamy Anyhow ("I'm naked and I'm filthy, and both of us are guilty"), and inevitably Hallelujah, which is oft imitated but that no one can really do the way Cohen does it.

Close to three hours can seem like an eternity in some cases, but with Cohen the evening could've gone on forever, as comfortable as it was to be wrapped in his rapturous embrace.

fmarchand@vancouversun.com
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Our Man was on fire last night in Vancouver. As Leslie reported, there were very few empty seats in the huge Roger's Arena, the crowd was ecstatic and our wild applause was rewarded several times by Leonard's broad, boyish grin. It was a remarkable evening.

My entire wish list was covered – Joan-of-Arc, Famous Blue Raincoat, Sharon's poignant and soulful Alexandra Leaving, (another) great I'm Your Man – and of course the recitals; A Thousand Kisses Deep and Anyhow. As the "I'm naked and I'm filthy..." lines were spoken, I let out a moderate whoop on behalf of Violet, who's currently in India :-) The encores (twice) were wonderful too!

Yeah – an exhilarating concert. Vancouver hearts Leonard. It was great to see Leslie/Mutti, Wendy/Macbeanie and Mary/Mollydog (and meet Mary's daughter Erica). Sorry Wendy about your unpleasant 'neighbours' at the show, and also sorry that Vancouver weather was at it's worst during your visit (rain/cold/rain/cold/rain – ugh!). It's a beautiful, friendly city in the summertime – honestly.

The final sentence in the Vancouver Sun review (posted by Linda - thanks!) says it all: "Pure class."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Magnificent photos and comments, Joey!

Thanks!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Stefano Biefeni - Thanks!

The Encores - video is 26+ minutes long -

So Long Marianne, First We Take Manhattan, Famous Blue Raincoat, Going Home, Closing Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvMnlQMFUwA

Video uploaded by Rahsten - Thanks!
(not close - mainly audio)

First We Take Manhattan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVO8gL2Um4

Video uploaded by James Mazur - Thanks!

Everybody Knows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-rVJMpJfKg
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
imaginary friend

Did anyone at the Vancouver show last night get a video of Anyhow?
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainmen ... story.html
Hallelujah! Leonard Cohen Opens Cross-Canada Tour in Vancouver

By Stuart Derdeyn, The Province November 12, 2012

VANCOUVER, B.C.: NOVEMBER 12, 2012 - Wearing his trademark black fedora,
Canadian poet and singer Leonard Cohen sings "Dance Me to the End of Love" to open his set
on the stage at Rogers Arena Monday, November 12, 2012 in Vancouver, B.C.
Photograph by: Ian Lindsay , PNG

A standing ovation as the act hits the stage is rare. More often than not, it is undeserved.

But when Leonard Cohen is coming across the stage to the microphone — sure, why not.

Not only is the Montreal poet a national treasure, he is out touring a new album that happens to be one of the best of his storied career.

Of course, when you have a back catalogue like his, the set is going to be mostly filled with fan favourites.

Opening the first night of the cross-Canada tour at Rogers Arena with “Dance Me to the End of Love,” the master and his nine-piece band were smoking.

Violinist Alexandru Bublitchi was in particularly fine form all night, laying down fiery and emotional solos while the rest of the crew grooved with pure sultriness.

Clapton at his finest would love to have as much pure soul in his playing as guitarist Mitch Watkins laid down in the gorgeous “Bird On A Wire.” Javier Mas’ Portuguese guitar solo intro to “Who By Fire” turned an already spooky tune into a proper haunting.

This band plays to full dramatic effect without ever showboating and the arrangements pack more subtle nuances than many symphonies. Example: The one run through of the chorus in “There Ain’t No Cure For Love” where the trio of backup singers did a church choir break when the word Angels came up.

Slick, you bet. Soulless — not one bit.

Always, it comes back to the lyrics.

Cohen’s almost comically deep croon just massages out his poetry like only he can. Any question of how well the new material holds up you needed look no further than the rock gut slither of “the Darkness,” which every goth and gloomy metal crew on Earth should consider covering. It’s nasty (oh so much).

All this coming from a guy who looks like he walked out of Boardwalk Empire with his gang of similarly attired hit men in black double-breasted pinstripe suits and matching fedoras. Taking no prisoners in the “Tower of Song.”

Cohen says he wants to keep touring for more years and start smoking again when he turns 80. Whatever keeps the genius flowing.

Sderdeyn@theprovince.com

Twitter.com/StuartDerdeyn
ilion

Post by ilion »

What an amazing show! I had the pleasure of seeing Leonard in Victoria and Vancouver on the last tour and I'd been wondering if it would be much different from them. Well, Dino Soledo's absence was definitely felt but what a delight in Alex Bublitchi! His affect on pieces was amazing! Between him and Mitch Watkins and some other arrangement changes, it was a very different show! Don't think I'm disparaging Dino or Bob Metzger; this isn't a matter, in my mind, of any artist being better than the other but only a reflection of how different styles illuminate the pieces in different ways.

I was centre stage in the front row with Cohen right in front of me for a large portion of the show. An unforgettable experience!

I hope a live album comes out soon! And I really hope it has that amazing rendition of Joan of Arc!

PS: I'm 99% certain that after they finished Going Home, Leonard turned to the group and said, "Let's do one more." Thus Closing Time.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Imaginary Friend/Sheila - here's one -

Uploaded by littledragon - Thanks!

Anyhow
http://vimeo.com/53479408
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by carbonearcrew - Thanks!

Come Healing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeO6xnI6w_Y
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

For the sake of posterity - :) - here is the The Setlist - as posted at Setlist.fm by zwirnie
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/leonard-c ... a9f5e.html
zwirnie also posted in the Setlists thread here at the forum - http://bit.ly/QGjfwZ
And - zwirnie - it is great that you have been adding the setlists at Setlist.fm
I know that the information there - depending on who posts - is not going to be as accurate as what is at the forum since there is a concerted effort to ensure the accuracy of setlists here
But it is an important site on the internet (called the "Setlist Wiki") – just as Leonard’s Wikipedia site is important (and I believe there are people here who keep a watch and edit that site when appropriate)
There is also an option there to edit at Setlist.fm - and a link that shows what edits have been made
Also - someone definitely has been going to the bother of posting at Setlist.fm - since there are setlists for Leonard’s shows going back to 1970.
As well - if you do a search on Google for “Leonard Cohen set lists” – the first sites that come up are for Setlist.fm !
Then LeonardCohenFiles (the website) - followed by 1HeckofAGuy - and then the forum
http://bit.ly/RvvDxy
So – is a site that will be consulted - not just by fans, but by media and other people looking for “statistics” about Leonard’s shows - people who do not know to come here to the forum first - for the most accurate information
In March, 2012 – Setlist.fm was purchased by Live Nation - http://www.ticketnews.com/news/live-nat ... -031220441
You can read the “About” – here - http://www.setlist.fm/about
First Set
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
Who by Fire
(with Extended Guitar Solo Intro)
Darkness
Ain't No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
In My Secret Life
A Thousand Kisses Deep
(Recitation)
Anthem
Second Set
Tower of Song
Suzanne
The Guests
Waiting for the Miracle
Anyhow
Heart with No Companion
Democracy
If It Be Your Will
Alexandra Leaving
(performed by Sharon Robinson)
Dance Me to the End of Love
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz
Encore:
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Encore 2:
Famous Blue Raincoat
Going Home
Encore 3:
Closing Time
imaginary friend

Thanks for Anyhow Linda (and Little Dragon)! I'll post it on Violet's thread ;-)

Thanks for all your other reports and videos too.

Sheila

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”