CONCERT REPORT: Portland, OR - November 11, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
dari

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Portland, OR - November 11, 2012

Post by dari »

Thank you, Arlene.
I really loved seeing all of the videos. They're wonderful.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.s ... hen_a.html
Concert Review: Leonard Cohen Returns To The Rose Garden
Jeff Baker, The Oregonian By Jeff Baker, The Oregonian
on November 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM, updated November 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Leonard Cohen, the man in the suit. The Associated Press

A sublime moment, one among many, from Leonard Cohen’s concert at the Rose Garden Sunday night: it’s the encore, and the musicians and audience are united in a joyful spirit after a soaring version of “So Long, Marianne.” The sound is so clear it’s possible to hear Cohen calling out to his band.

“Going Home,” Cohen says. “Going Home.”

It’s a new song, the first one on the “Old Ideas” album, and it’s witty and deep in classic Cohen fashion. He’s poking fun at himself and his dapper image, writing from the perspective of a deity -- God, presumably -- who’s telling the listener about Cohen.

God “loves to speak with Leonard. He’s a sportsman and a sheperd.” But Leonard is a rebel and won’t do God’s “instant bidding.” Leonard “wants to write a love song, an anthem of forgiving, a manual for living with defeat.” And worst of all?

“He’s a lazy bastard living in a suit.”

That’s only half-true, God. (With all due respect.) Cohen does live in a suit -- he looks like he was born in one -- but lazy?

A 78-year-old man who dances on and off the stage, who’s played almost 300 concerts worldwide in the last four years, who’s released one of his finest albums, who continues to burn with creative energy ... that man is not lazy.

He’s at the peak of his career.

The evidence was scattered throughout the three-hour concert, in grand gestures and quiet moments. Cohen is bursting with contradictions, and the way he presents and performs his music is a full embrace of them. He’s a limited musician who’s surrounded himself with an exquisite band: nine players and singers from six different countries who could swing and rock and give his songs the space they need. He honors them by taking off his fedora and holding it over his heart while they solo; they bow to him when they finish. Javier Mas picks out the lovely introduction to “Dance Me to the End of Love” as Cohen kneels before him. Neil Larson and Mitch Watkins provide subtle organ and guitar backing to “Bird on the Wire” while Cohen sings from his deepest heart. Sharon Robinson, Cohen’s longtime collaborator and friend, brings the house down with a gorgeous “Alexandra Leaving.” Hattie Webb duets with Cohen on “Joan of Arc.” Hattie and her sister Charley, along with Robinson, are the coolest, most elegant backing singers imaginable. (If I’m reincarnated as a woman, I want to be a Webb Sister.)

Another contradiction: Cohen is a reluctant performer who didn’t become a professional musician until he was 32 and had to fight through intense stage fright, yet here he is in his eighth decade, dancing and joking and doing knee drops all over the stage. He didn’t play any concerts for 15 years; he had retired to a monastery on a mountain in Southern California and was meditating for days on end, and now he’s on a never-ending tour that would exhaust a 25-year-old. Cohen returned to the road in 2008 after losing millions from his retirement savings, but that money has long since been made back, and here he is, still singing about Marianne and Suzanne and telling prospective lovers that he’ll do anything they ask and put on a mask.

One more contradiction, and it’s the big one: Cohen is and has always been a spiritual seeker who revels in his primal sexual impulses. From the first (“Suzanne” goes straight from “touching her perfect body with your mind” to imagining Jesus walking on the water) to the latest (“Old Ideas” has lyrics about angels “panting” and the blood of the lamb and Cohen dreaming about a woman “wearing half her dress”). It’s an old story, as old as the Old Testament that Cohen knows so well -- temptation and contemplation, the sacred and the profane, the ecstacy of faith and the pleasure of the flesh. It’s been Cohen’s twin obsession since he was an ambitious young poet in Montreal, and he often plays up the contrast in his lyrics. In “Hallelujah,” he remembers rapture with a lover and how “the holy dove was moving too, and every breath we drew was hallelujah.” In “Anyhow,” from “Old Ideas,” the singer begs for mercy from the half-naked lover of his dreams. Mercy, not forgiveness.

Cohen spent much of his concert on his knees, singing with passionate intensity. He bowed his head, he held his hands together as in prayer. He was a supplicant and the vessel of his audience’s desires, and if the evening sometimes had the fervor of religion, services at the Church of Leonard, his message was secular, and heartfelt:

“Here I stand. I’m your man.”
http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.s ... ertainment
By Jeff Baker, The Oregonian
on November 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM, updated November 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Leonard Cohen’s Setlist From His Nov. 11, 2012 Concert at the Rose Garden:

“Dance Me to the End of Love”
“The Future”
“Bird on the Wire”
“Everybody Knows”
“Who By Fire”
“Darkness”
“Ain’t No Cure for Love”
“Amen”
“Come Healing”
“In My Secret Life”
“A Thousand Kisses Deep”
“Anthem”

Intermission

“Tower of Song”
“Suzanne”
“Joan of Arc”
“Waiting for the Miracle”
“Anyhow”
“Heart With No Companion”
“Democracy”
“If It Be Your Will”
“Alexandra Leaving”
“I’m Your Man”
“Hallelujah”
“Take This Waltz”

“So Long Marianne”
“Going Home”
”First We Take Manhattan”
“Save the Last Dance for Me”
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Audio of intro to Ain't No Cure for Love.
This is yet another Leonard Cohen gem.

He had just finished singing DARKNESS and started off with:

Jesus Christ...have to lighten up...because it really isn't that bad. I don't think so. But I did...

Middle part, a variation of his remarks in Seattle, included:

...I practiced indifference but the light of beauty kept leaking through...

He finished with ...after a while I learned what Our Saviour knew as he was pinned on the Cross....There Ain't No Cure For Love.

DivShare File - Portland audio part1 INTRO Cure 2012_11_1.mp3

Would someone please help out with the full transcription. My ears are not that keen.
Thanks.
---Arlene

UPDATE: Thanks to Kelsey (KaimiK) here is the full transcription

Jesus Christ, you have to lighten up you know, I mean. Is it, is it really that bad? I don't think so. But, I did. I plunged into religious practice and I bound myself to the mask of, the mast of non-attachment, but the uh, the teeth of the storm just cut me loose. And I, I practiced uh, I practiced uh, I practiced indifference. Yes, I put on the blinders of indifference, but the, the light of beauty kept leaking through. After a while I learned that uh, I learned that even what our Savior knew as he was pinned up on the cross. I learned that uh, there ain't no cure for love.
Last edited by bridger15 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Arlene - this is what I'm hearing from your brilliant recording and from what I can remember as well...

Jesus Christ, you have to lighten up you know, I mean. Is it, is it really that bad? I don't think so. But, I did. I plunged into religious practice and I bound myself to the mask of, the mast of non-attachment, but the uh, the teeth of the storm just cut me loose. And I, I practiced uh, I practiced uh, I practiced indifference. Yes, I put on the blinders of indifference, but the, the light of beauty kept leaking through. After a while I learned that uh, I learned that even what our Savior knew as he was pinned up on the cross. I learned that uh, there ain't no cure for love.

Thanks for sharing all the recordings, Arlene - great memories!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

One more song from the Portland concert, "Take This Waltz"
Hattie does such a beautiful solo.

When the song is over, LC takes his bow and leaves the stage.
The band put down their instruments and walk off the stage waving.
Many in the audience have gathered their belongings and start to leave.
They think the concert is over.
I go into my traffic cop routine - yet again - and tell my seat neighbours, don't leave, it isn't over. He will sing 5 more songs.
They stay but others are leaving.
What a shame this happens so often.

TAKE THIS WALTZ with brief intros
http://youtu.be/En6Augy45_I

---Arlene

watermandala

Post by watermandala »

I wish you all could have experienced the show in Portland.

This was our seventh Leonard Cohen concert. I thought that there was nothing which could top those past experiences, but it happened Sunday night in the Rose Garden. Thank you Leonard and band, sound and lighting teams and everyone involved in presenting this evening of perfection.

We had seats in the 100 level, dead center, straight on - courtesy of the fan club presale. Far enough away to take it all in, but close enough to see the detail. Thanks again for making it possible for us to obtain these choice seats.

The sound mix was so clear and pure, and was the BEST mix I have ever heard in a live performance. The clarity allowed us to hear the nuances of everything created on stage. Kudos to the sound crew! The lighting was spectacular too. The colors, intensities and movement of the lights heightened the moods of the music. Great job lighting crew!

And then the music itself. I purposely didn't listen to any recordings of this tour. I wanted this night to be the first time, and what I heard was exceptional. The musicianship throughout the evening was consistently superb. There are so many moments I remember, way too many to list here, but these stand out:

Leonard singing those high notes in Bird On The Wire, and in fine voice throughout the evening
Javier's passionate introduction in Who By Fire
Mitch's liquid leads, especially when the Gibson was in his hands
Sharon's beautiful voice in Alexandra Leaving
Hattie and Charley's angelic harmonies in If It Be Your Will
Neil's organ solo in Hallelujah
The foundation and steady pulse provided by Roscoe and Rafael
Alexandru's playing was so expressive, and added an extra dimension of beauty to Leonard's melodies. It is great to have a violinist in the band again.

And then the return of Joan of Arc to the set list! I last heard Leonard perform it nearly twenty years ago (hard to believe it's been that long since the show in Toronto). I talked with my wife during the break about how I loved this song, and that I suggested it in response to a question on Leonard's Facebook page a few days before the show. I couldn't believe it when I heard the opening chords - a dream come true. Thank you so much for playing this song!

I posted a few photos from the evening here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11648651 ... useK1_nYAg

Until the next time,

M
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

watermandela,
Thank you for your post. What a personal, in-depth review with your delightful synopsis of some of the songs.

Arlene,
A million thanks for this http://youtu.be/z9L7uS7RcXQ This was utter perfection. My favorite rendition of one of my favorites. It doesn't get any better than Hattie's solos with the addition of Sharon and Charley and the exquisite sounds of Alex - the perfect ensemble!!! I hope this stays in the setlist!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I put together three clips of Leonard Cohen having fun with the Portland audience.
This is my description in the one minute+ YouTube video.
In his intro to "The Future", Leonard Cohen told the audience that he wants to start smoking again when he's 80 and do it on the road. Portland was an enthusiastic and vocal crowd. All evening, there were many shout-outs of love. Leonard Cohen didn't respond to each one but when he did, he endeared himself even more to the adoring audience.
http://youtu.be/TmrvSkF2lfA

---Arlene

IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Arlene

Thank you so much for all your fantastic videos of the current tour.
I love your latest compilation :D Leonard is having a lot of fun on stage.

Mar
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Darklingsky

Post by Darklingsky »

Thank you all for posting these videos. I wasn't able to go this year but at least being able to watch the debut of "Joan of Arc" allowed me to imagine what it would be like to be sitting there, hearing this song played for the first time in almost two decades. It must have been one of those moments where the music and setting are intoxicating in a deeply personal and emotional way. Hope to experience some of the magic if he tours next year.
Last edited by Darklingsky on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Arlene for posting the 'fun' videos...I so enjoyed them. Leonard seemed in a wonderful mood.
I am so glad you were able to get these. Thanks as always.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Arlene,

Love your fun clips – especially 'I love you back three more times' :-)

You are such a trooper. Reminds me of Leonard himself.

XO
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,

Bless your heart for catching those wonderful moments!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

The "I love you back three more times" seemed to me to be a polite way of getting the guy in the crowd to finally shut up. The first time the guy yelled it was funny-- something like "I love you more than anyone else here!"--- but then he just couldn't help himself and continued to yell in-between every few songs in order to seek a reaction from The Man. And yes-- the guy did finally stop yelling after Leonard responded in that way.
oldfan

Post by oldfan »

I'm still listening to Leonard in my head all week now, since Sunday's show in Portland. What a glorious show it was. Thank you, Leonard.

We were so lucky to be in row 2 thanks to the fan club. Thank you, Jarkko.

We saw Leonard in 2010 in Las Vegas; it was transformative. My first time to see him live, but had listened to him since I was a girl and wanted to be half crazy like Suzanne so that I, too, might be so attractive.

This year has been a very difficult year for us. My son is ill, taking some of the meds that Leonard has spoken of having abandoned, and my son requires constant care. My daughter came home to afford me this exquisite "respite". We flew all day to reach Portland, in time for dinner and the show.

Being so close, it seemed we could feel the energy. Leonard was so lively this night. All there were so musically engaged. The crowd was overflowing with their love for him, almost competing in their shouted declarations of love, so that at one point Leonard stopped with a laugh, and talked insurrection.

I love Sharon Robinson, too, and her singing on Alexandra Leaving was so very beautiful.

The song set was wonderful; so great to hear Joan of Arc this night. To hear him speak A Thousand Kisses Deep, to sing Anthem, oh, I could never choose a favorite. They all mean so much to me.

A few hours later we left the hotel in the cold, dark rainy early morning with a flight crew. The chatty pilot next to me asked me about my stay, and when I told him we'd come for Leonard Cohen, he asked why didn't he know he was? He said he knew he was important, that rumors were flying all over the hotel that Leonard and company had the top floor of our hotel.

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”