Concert Report: Seattle, WA - November 9 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
cohenadmirer

Re: Concert Report: Seattle, WA - November 9 2012

Post by cohenadmirer »

bridger15 wrote:Inna and Rachel:
Thank you for your keen hearing and clarifying LC's wonderful intro to Ain't No Cure For Love. I couldn't make out everything he said and was hoping somebody else could. I will edit the YouTube description to reflect this.
---Arlene
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

This celebration of love usually inspires an interesting spoken introduction , and this is a new variant.
Clearly part of the 'non attachment' stance he has revised is (reciprocated ) atttachment to his audience ! There ain't no cure for our love of LC! I''ve been attached to his work since i first became aware in the 70s and the attachment has definately increased since 08.
Great to hear it back on the tour , though i suspect it won't be a regular inclusion and interesting to hear it with the new band configuration .
Thanks Arlene for capturing this from what looks like the front row , trying to see past the looming presence of one of the ' official cameramen'
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://seattletimes.com/html/musicnight ... cohen.html
Leonard Cohen Thrills KeyArena Crowd With Long Concert

Leonard Cohen, the gloomy Canadian troubadour who so masterfully conflates the sacred and the profane, performed more than three-and-a-half hours to a packed house at Seattle's KeyArena Friday, Nov. 9.

By Paul de Barros

"I've told the truth," said 78-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen, near the end of his thrilling, packed concert at KeyArena Friday. "I did not come to fool you."

Or he made his best attempt, at least, as poets do, wrangling with the language of love and salvation — word by word, chord by chord, rhyme by rhyme.

It was an extraordinary experience, a full-body immersion in the personal universe of a great troubadour who, like his Provençal forebears, fearlessly conflates the sacred and the profane, the courtly and the spiritual the erotic and the fatalistic.

Speak-singing in a conspiratorial, basso whisper, Cohen performed two voluminous sets lasting more than three-and-a-half hours.

Wearing his trademark fedora and dark, tight suit with bolo tie, Cohen played with a nine-piece, Euro-style ensemble featuring violin, two guitars, rhythm section and three backup singers. He often knelt as he sang and occasionally saluted the crowd by jauntily doffing his hat.

The moody stage lighting often silhouetted the behatted band.

Cohen sampled generously from his gloomy four-decade-plus oeuvre, starting with the infectious 'Dance Me to the End Love" and quickly dispensing with such classics as "Bird on a Wire," "Everybody Knows," "Ain't No Cure For Love," "In My Secret Life" and a spine-tingling recitation of "A Thousand Kisses Deep."

Other high points included his incantatory first hit, "Suzanne"; the hilariously unrepentant "Anyhow"; Democracy," which drew a cheer from the post-election-wired crowd (mostly boomers, including some cuddling couples); and "I'm Your Man."

Cohen generously showcased backup singers the Webb sisters, who delivered shimmering harmonies on "If It Be Your Will," and co-writer Sharon Robinson on the gospel-tinged "Alexandra Leaving."

Prancing offstage near the end, then back again, Cohen shared the singalong-friendly "Take This Waltz" and "So Long, Marianne," then delivered two encores that included the dark and driven "First We Take Manhattan"; the yearning "Famous Blue Raincoat"; his whimsical self-reprimand from on high, "Going Home" ("I'd love to speak with Leonard, he's a lazy bastard"); and, finally, appropriately, "Closing Time."

You had the feeling Cohen would have sung willingly into the after-hours. The crowd would have stayed, too.

Paul de Barros: 206-464-3247 or pdebarros@seattletimes.com

paul.percy

Post by paul.percy »

Does anyone remember ( or have a recording of ) LC's opening comments in Seattle Friday night? Something to the effect he would like to keep touring until he is 80 so he can start smoking again. Then in a poignant reminder he said something like: just in case we don't make it back, tonight we are going to leave you with everthing we've got. He really did!
Last edited by paul.percy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

This is the setlist posted at setlist.fm, but I HIGHLY doubt that it is correct. Can anybody please comment on it. Thanks.

First Set
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on a Wire
Everybody Knows
Who by Fire (with Extended Guitar Solo Intro)
The Darkness
Ain't No Cure for Love
Amen
Come Healing
In My Secret Life
A Thousand Kisses Deep (Recitation)
Anthem

Second Set
Tower of Song
Suzanne
The Guests
Waiting for the Miracle
Anyhow
Heart with No Companion
Democracy
If It Be Your Will
Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson)
Dance Me to the End of Love
Hallelujah
Take This Waltz

Encore1:
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Encore 2:
Famous Blue Raincoat
Going Home
Encore 3:
Closing Time
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
bridger15

Concert Report: Seattle, WA - November 9 2012

Post by bridger15 »

paul.percy wrote:Does anyone remember ( or record) LC's opening comment? Something to the effect he would like to keep touring until he is 80 so he can start smoking again. Then in a poignant reminder he said something like: just in case we don't make it back, tonight we are going to leave you with everthing we've got. He really did!
Yes I have it on video. Stay tuned ...
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Intro to "Future" SEATTLE Key Arena Nov 9.12 (clip)
Leonard Cohen wants to stay on the road till he's 80 so he can start smoking again.
http://youtu.be/JNyZT8V_-7U

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
paul.percy

Post by paul.percy »

Thank you Arlene!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Arlene Happy you were able to get some of the concert!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Diane

Post by Diane »

holydove wrote:
This is what he said: "My songs are kind of bleak, but underlying the whole dismal affair is actually a tiny thread of light. I studied the religious values. I actually bound myself to the mast of non-attachment, but the storms of desire snapped my bounds like a spoon through noodles."
yes, what a marvellous snippet, thank you for combined efforts at recording it here!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by lnchfan14 - Thanks!

The Future (@4:43 - girls dancing :lol: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkrWeCKbXto
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Can anybody confirm the setlist?

I understand that Dance Me to the End of Love was done twice in Los Angeles, but why here as well? I think somebody on last.fm simply copied the setlist from LA - there's Night Comes On missing, and it says Webbs performed If It Be Your Will instead of Coming Back To You, what's probably a mistake.
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

tomsakic wrote:Can anybody confirm the setlist?
I understand that Dance Me to the End of Love was done twice in Los Angeles, but why here as well? I think somebody on last.fm simply copied the setlist from LA - there's Night Comes On missing, and it says Webbs performed If It Be Your Will instead of Coming Back To You, what's probably a mistake.
The setlist is correct, just listened to a recording of the show .... This is the correct setlist, could you please correct it in the setlist thread, Tom? Thanks

Set One
01. Dance Me To The End of Love
02. The Future
03. Bird On A Wire
04. Everybody Knows
05. Who By Fire (w/ Extended Guitar Solo Intro)
06. The Darkness
07. Ain't No Cure For Love
08. Amen
09. Come Healing
10. In My Secret Life
11. A Thousand Kisses Deep (Recitation)
12. Anthem / Band Intros
-INTERMISSION-
Set Two
01. Tower Of Song
02. Suzanne
03. The Guests
04. Waiting For The Miracle
05. Anyhow
06. Heart With No Companion
07. Democracy
08. If It Be Your Will*
09. Alexandra Leaving**
10. Dance Me To The End Of Love
11. Hallelujah
12. Take This Waltz
-ENCORES-
13. So Long Marianne
14. First We Take Manhattan
15. Famous Blue Raincoat
16. Going Home
17. Closing Time
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by drwxxx - Thanks!
It's not "up close" - but the audio is good ...

Alexandra Leaving - Sharon sounds lovely. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbL3yaomHDc

If It Be Your Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIR9fQLdUf4

In My Secret Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlDeZpa3Tzg
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Saw this on the Bob Dylan forum attached to ' expecting rain' ( not written by me !)

Just saw Leonard Cohen here in Seattle Friday night (Nov 9th), after seeing Bob Dylan here a few weeks ago. I've posted my thoughts on Dylan's show in the Seattle thread on this board.

I've been a Dylan fan since 2001, and though I've had a few minor letdowns here and there over the years (e.g. finding out Bootleg Series 9 would be the Witmark demos), the show I saw him give a few weeks ago was the first time I was genuinely disappointed by him. I didn't like the setlist, the lack of singing, the largely obstructed view even though I was in 3rd row center, the musicians not getting much freedom to create, the monotonous overall sound (I'd been to three other shows since 2009)... What I did appreciate was seeing the man live while he's still around.

My wife and I were not frankly too excited heading into Friday night. Somewhere between then and getting tickets months ago, I had wondered whether it was worth paying so much money (tickets and childcare) to see Leonard Cohen. But boy were we treated! The show was wonderful. Had never seen him live before, though I have most of his live albums including the recent CD/DVD's. The sound was great. The voice was great (anyone who didn't know his songs would've been able to catch every syllable). Cohen's such a gentleman with the audience. Came out with a smile, expressed his gratitude multiple times, even jokingly skipped off stage before intermission... Introduced band members by name and geography, turned and faced them with his whole body during their solos, shook his head so attentively and respectfully while they were playing... heck he introduced each of them several times to the crowd! He recited some spoken word poetry that kept everyone glued to their seats. He made a few references to his age, and at some point said that despite that he would give his crowd his all (which everyone in the arena would agree he did). He thanked us for our attentiveness to his performance. I listed above my disappointments with the Dylan show. My only disappointments with Cohen's was that we didn't have closer seats and that we had to leave a few songs early to pick up the kids (the show was about 3.5 hours in all, no opening act). After the Dylan show, I was a bit turned off (truthfully, I was quite let down) and didn't listen to some of his music as much for a while. I've been listening to Cohen heavily since Friday, which is another contrast.

I am one of those fans who likes Dylan's contrarian attitude and admires his unwillingness to pander to his audience. But what I saw in KeyArena last month wasn't exactly Newport 1965. I don't think any muse was being followed. No other artist will ever mean as much to me as Bob Dylan (I have almost all of Leonard Cohen's albums, but there's not a single one I'd take to a desert island over the Dylan Munster 2000 show that I happen to be listening to right now), but I just wanted to share my emotional impressions after seeing each of these great masters. I'm not trying to provoke the apologists. Yes, direct comparisons can be unfair, and there are some confounding factors.

Tip of the hat to you, Leonard Cohen. I felt, as an audience member, that you respected me, appreciated me, and wanted to perform for me. I thank you deeply.
Leonard's work resonates

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”