Meet-Up in Montreal

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
holydove

Re: Meet-Up in Montreal

Post by holydove »

Thank you, Anne - Dunn's sounds like a great idea, as long as it's close enough to Bell Centre (I remembered that the tickets are will-call, & we will have to pick them up, so for that reason along with potentially cold weather, I think it makes sense to be close). A few years ago, we tried to find the old Dunn's & of course, discovered that it no longer existed. I would be happy to check out this new Dunn's.

Also, we now have some more info - Bob's Montreal friend suggested these places:

Ye Olde Orchard
www.yeoldeorchard.com

Hurley's Irish Pub
www.hurleysirishpub.com

And here is a link for Sir Winston Churchill Pub
www.winniesbar.com

Those 3 places are all 2 or 3 blocks from Bell Centre.

So now we have a total of 4 suggestions & everyone is welcome to state their preferences. Again, I'm happy with whatever everyone wants, so please - everyone - let us know what you would like to do.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I'm happy with where ever is picked. Anyone know what time the tickets can be picked up from? It would be handy if we could pick up the tickets before the meetup.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I think a pub would work better as, if I remember correctly, the seating in Dunn's mainly consists of booths so it would be difficult to mingle. A friend of mine from Montreal also suggested Hurley's or le Vieux Dublin Pub.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
holydove

Post by holydove »

I went to Dunn's website & the photos do show booths for seating.

Now we have 2 recommendations, from Montrealers, for Hurley's - & it's only a couple of blocks from the venue - maybe we should consider meeting there?
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

It is curiously elegant that Hurley's is the venue floated for a meet-up for Leonard's return to Montreal.....in fact, it was at a bar with a similar name (O'Hurley's) that was the venue for the meet-up when Leonard returned to the USA in 2009 with a concert-at the Beacon in NYC

Count me in !

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
foxymona

Post by foxymona »

Hurleys is a great idea because it is practically around the corner from the Bell Centre. The Dublin Pub is about 8 blocks away.

What time do you usually meet up? I'm hoping to be able to attend........probably will leave my dogs at the sitter on my way to work in the AM so I can come to the meet-up straight after work.

My 28th ticket is will call but my 29th is VIP...IN MY HANDS!!! My only other issue is that I got will call tickets on the 28th for 2 friends of mine, so if they aren't interested in attending the meet-up, it will be a challenge because I have to pick up their tickets at will call.
Montreal 2008; Fort Lauderdale 2009, Montreal 2012 X 2, Kingston 2012
holydove

Post by holydove »

leonardmtl wrote:It is curiously elegant that Hurley's is the venue floated for a meet-up for Leonard's return to Montreal.....in fact, it was at a bar with a similar name (O'Hurley's) that was the venue for the meet-up when Leonard returned to the USA in 2009 with a concert-at the Beacon in NYC
Count me in !
Leonard from Montreal
Hi Leonard,

I thought I remembered a meetup place in NYC with a very similar name - yes, it is a very elegant piece of cosmic convergence. I wasn't at that meetup but I heard about it; I was definitely at the concert, though 8)

Foxymona, thank you for your input. The Belle Centre website says the box office is open for operation between 12 - 9 pm on event days; assuming "open for operation" means one can pick up tickets during those hours, we are hoping to be able to pick up the will call tickets before the meetup (we have VIP for the 28th but will-call for the 29th).

So I'm thinking: Hurley's starting at around 5:30, so we could head over to the venue around 7:15, if that is acceptable for everyone? (Unless we can't pick up the tickets till an hour before the concert, or something like that - in which case maybe start the meetup at 5:00 so we could head over to the venue closer to around 6:45). I'll try to find out when the tickets will be available for pickup, so we can set a more definite time.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

holydove wrote:
leonardmtl wrote:It is curiously elegant that Hurley's is the venue floated for a meet-up for Leonard's return to Montreal.....in fact, it was at a bar with a similar name (O'Hurley's) that was the venue for the meet-up when Leonard returned to the USA in 2009 with a concert-at the Beacon in NYC
Count me in !
Leonard from Montreal
Hi Leonard,

I thought I remembered a meetup place in NYC with a very similar name - yes, it is a very elegant piece of cosmic convergence. I wasn't at that meetup but I heard about it; I was definitely at the concert, though 8)

Foxymona, thank you for your input. The Belle Centre website says the box office is open for operation between 12 - 9 pm on event days; assuming "open for operation" means one can pick up tickets during those hours, we are hoping to be able to pick up the will call tickets before the meetup (we have VIP for the 28th but will-call for the 29th).

So I'm thinking: Hurley's starting at around 5:30, so we could head over to the venue around 7:15, if that is acceptable for everyone? (Unless we can't pick up the tickets till an hour before the concert, or something like that - in which case maybe start the meetup at 5:00 so we could head over to the venue closer to around 6:45). I'll try to find out when the tickets will be available for pickup, so we can set a more definite time.
Sounds good to me especially if the irish pub sells guinness. :)
My impression is that it should be possible to pick up tickets whenever the box office is open but clarificaion of that would be welcome

David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Sounds good to me too :D I'm sure there will be Guinness available David (Well I've yet to be in an Irish pub either in or out of Ireland that didn't sell Guinness ;-) )
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
holydove

Post by holydove »

I called Hurley's to check if we need reservations for the before-concert meetups, as I'm assuming people will want to eat something before the concert; apparently, they have an automated system for reservations, because I got a recording requesting that the caller leave the date & number of people for the reservation, on their answering machine. So, in order to do this, I will need whoever is planning to come, to confirm & to say which day(s) they plan to be there (Nov.28, Nov. 29, or both). If everyone can do this, I will call Hurley's & give them the info. Thanks.

So far, this is the list of people coming, but we haven't said which days:

Gwen (& Mandy?)
Joy & Mark
David
Anne
foxymona (&2 friends?)
Mary (Mollydog)
Leonard (mtl)
Me & Bob

That would be 13 people (including the friends, potentially). If there are any changes, please let me know; & please indicate which day(s) you plan to be there. Thanks again.

I think for after-concert meetups, we can just show up, because that would only be for drinks. But if we want to have dinner before the concerts, it looks like it might be a good idea to make reservations.

Editing: I just called the Bell Centre & will-call tickets are available for pick-up between 12 - 9:00 pm on the day of the concert that the ticket is for.

Editing again: Hartmut, I just noticed that you had given a link for Winnie's Pub, even though you won't even be in Montreal - that was so sweet of you - thank you!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:Hartmut, I just noticed that you had given a link for Winnie's Pub, even though you won't even be in Montreal - that was so sweet of you - thank you!
I'll be with you all in spirit. And not at all envious ...
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hartmut wrote: I'll be with you all in spirit. And not at all envious ...
It's good to know that your glowing spirit will be with us - thank you. And of course, you are not envious, but. . .I can pack you in my suitcase, if you like. . .

Edit: of course, it might work out better if someone coming from Berlin could pack you in his/her suitcase. . . :)
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

holydove wrote: I will need whoever is planning to come
Thanks for taking this on, holydove...
I'll be there on the 28th, with Kathy, Marilyn and Renann (subject to the whims of the weather and my soon-to-be granddaughter, who might decide to come early.) If I don't make it, it is likely that Kathy and Renann will be there for sure, since they are arriving earlier. if there is a weather delay, Marilyn also may not make it. If it is a baby delay, then my entourage will show up without me. I'll keep them in the loop, since they are not forum-dwellers....
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Count me in but I am not sure for which nights. I will let you know once I know.

Thanks from me too for doing this Rachel.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

May i add my thanks to rachel for taking a lead on this .
I'll be there on the 28th , and may have 1 more person with me
not sure about the 29th .
So that's Hurleys from 5pm ?

David :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”