Meet-Up in Montreal

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
holydove

Meet-Up in Montreal

Post by holydove »

Does anyone want to meet up before/after the concerts in Montreal?

Though I've been there before, I'm not at all familiar with what places might be good for meetups, but if noone from Montreal wants to find a place, we could always do some googling & pick a place that looks good. . .
musicmania

Re: Meet-Up in Montreal

Post by musicmania »

holydove wrote:Does anyone want to meet up before/after the concerts in Montreal?

Though I've been there before, I'm not at all familiar with what places might be good for meetups, but if noone from Montreal wants to find a place, we could always do some googling & pick a place that looks good. . .
Yes we (Mandy and I) want to meet up! Any suggestions from Montreal natives would be much appreciated :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Of course we want to meet up! Like you, Rachel, we've been to Montreal before but are not familiar enough with the place to know where might be a good spot. Let's all put our thinking caps on!

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Hello, Ladies,
If you are googling for a place to meet, consider the Prince Arthur/ St. Laurent area. Here is a link to start with:
http://www.montrealnitelifetours.com/se ... 20Lounges/
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for the link, Anne. That is a beautiful area, & I went to the site & there is some interesting info; I'm just not sure how close the area is to the Bell Centre (maybe close enough. . .).

Also, Bob reminded me that he has several colleagues who are Montrealers, & he will ask them for recommendations this week, & I will report back here when we hear from them.
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

To me it's close enough to the Bell Centre.. walking distance or a short cab ride. And of course the Parc du Portugal is nearby....
holydove

Post by holydove »

anneporter wrote:To me it's close enough to the Bell Centre.. walking distance or a short cab ride. And of course the Parc du Portugal is nearby....
:D This is very true (about the lovely Parc du Portugal being nearby. . .), & of course, visiting this Parc is at the very top of my list for things one must do in Montreal! I wasn't sure if one could walk to Bell Centre from there, & that's good to know - thank you; & that would make it a perfect area for a meetup. I suppose in about 2 weeks, we can see how many want to come to a meetup, & then we can decide which place we prefer, & depending on how many people want to join us, either contact the place or just set a time to meet.

BTW, Anne, are you coming to Montreal?
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

holydove wrote:
anneporter wrote:To me it's close enough to the Bell Centre.. walking distance or a short cab ride. And of course the Parc du Portugal is nearby....
:D This is very true (about the lovely Parc du Portugal being nearby. . .), & of course, visiting this Parc is at the very top of my list for things one must do in Montreal! I wasn't sure if one could walk to Bell Centre from there, & that's good to know - thank you; & that would make it a perfect area for a meetup. I suppose in about 2 weeks, we can see how many want to come to a meetup, & then we can decide which place we prefer, & depending on how many people want to join us, either contact the place or just set a time to meet.

BTW, Anne, are you coming to Montreal?
Hi
i would hope to be at a meetup or some part of it ,and meeting somewhere near leonard's montreal home seems a good idea. Anyhow that's certainly something i'd like to see at some point on my briefish trip to montreal

I just looked up directions from parc de portugal to the bell centre and here they are ( though in reverse starting from the bell centre!)

Bell Centre --909 avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréa, Montréal, Québec H4B 5G0, Canada
3.7 km = 2.4 miles (about 9 mins)
1. Head northeast on Avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal toward Rue Drummond 200 m
2. Turn left onto Rue Peel 190 m
3. Turn left to stay on Rue Peel 600 m
4. Turn right onto Rue Sherbrooke O 1.3 km
5. Turn left onto Boulevard Saint-Laurent 1.4 km
Parc du Portugal-- Boulevard Saint-Laurent & Rue Marie-Anne Ouest, Montréal, QC, Canada
A long walk in cold air ...
Looking forward to it all ! :D

David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi David,

Thank you for posting the directions. Actually, I think it would take more than 9 min. to walk 2.4 miles, wouldn't it?? And yes, it is likely to be cold there, so it would feel like a very long walk. There might be a metro we could take at least part of the way tot he Bell Centre (if not all the way), or we could share taxis.

Where everyone is staying would also be a factor. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency, which if I remember correctly, is about a 15 min. walk to Parc du Portugal. I did some research, & it seems that there are restaurants much closer to the Bell Centre (like right across the street), so maybe that would make more sense, but I'm open to whatever everybody wants. I also want to see Leonard's home again, but we could always do that some other time, esp. if we are arriving before the day before (or a few hours before) the 1st concert, or staying for an extra day after the concerts (which is what we are doing). But I guess some people might not have other times to visit Leonard's home, so like I said, whatever everyone wants is fine with me. Bob will soon have info from his friends who live in Montreal, & I will post whatever info we have, so we can take it from there.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, David!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Yes, it will take WAY longer to walk that far...perhaps 9 minutes was for driving?
And yes, I'll be there if all goes well and i'm not fogged in or anything, since I am flying up on Wednesday at noon for the concert same night... I'll be staying until sunday once I get there...
holydove

Post by holydove »

Glad to hear that you will be there, Anne - I look forward to meeting you!

We are also flying up on Wed. at 1:00 pm & it's a short flight from here, but who knows if there will be delays. . .so our time might be limited too. We can also plan a meetup for Thurs., so in case anyone can't make it on Wed., if they are still there on Thurs., there will be another opportunity. We will be there till Sat. morning.
foxymona

Post by foxymona »

Hi Everyone,

Montreal concerts are getting closer and I'm getting very excited.

I'm in Montreal but not sure at this time if I will be able to make it to any meet-ups. On the 28th I doubt it but I'm going alone on the 29th so I possibly could attend. I do want to let everyone know that it is at least a 45-48 minute walk to the Bell Centre from St. Laurent & Marie-Anne.............and remember the weather is not very nice in Montreal at the end of November. It can be brutally cold. I would recommend a meet-up place closer to the Bell Centre, there are many restaurants, hotels etc nearby as it is right in downtown Montreal. Perhaps I can suggest something if I know what type of venue you are looking for. The restaurants near the Bell Centre might be crowded before the shows but possibly OK after, of course depending on how many people are involved.

3 weeks....WOW!
Montreal 2008; Fort Lauderdale 2009, Montreal 2012 X 2, Kingston 2012
holydove

Post by holydove »

Just want to suggest the Winston Churchill Pub as a possible meetup place; I don't remember the name of the street it's on, but it's only about a 5 - 10 min. walk to the Bell Centre. We checked it out last time we were in Montreal & it's a very big place; plus, it was one of Leonard's haunts - I don't remember exactly when - maybe in the '80's (?), but whenever it was, Leonard has definitely, without a doubt, been there many times. Also, Bob contacted a friend who lives in Montreal, & he said he'll think about it & get back to us with more possibilities.

The Winston Churchill Pub probably has a website; I'll find a link & post it tomorrow (didn't have time right now).
Hartmut

AW: Re: Meet-Up in Montreal

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote: The Winston Churchill Pub probably has a website
http://www.swcpc.com
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

May I suggest Dunn's? a place where, in its previous incarnation on Ste Catherine St , Leonard used to recite? Sadly, The Ste. Catherine St site closed a few years ago, but it sprang up again as a franchise. The one on Metcalfe is 10 (or 20?) minutes walk from the Bell Centre....

http://www.dunnsfamous.com

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cent ... nsor=false

Exclaim - LC Beautiful Loser, Timeline
by Steve Wilcox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:13 am

http://exclaim.ca/Features/Timeline/leo ... iful_loser

1956 to 1958
Seeking religious ecstasy, he starts taking drugs, mainly hashish, acid and amphetamines. He later tells Zig Zagmagazine, "I have used almost everything that I could ever get my hands on. I have taken them in every possible way. I think that drugs without a sacrament, without a ritual, without a really great understanding of their power are dangerous." Cohen is also prone to depression, as was his mother, and becomes increasingly withdrawn. He reads on an album called Six Montreal Poets, released in the U.S. by Folkway Records. He enrols in grad school at Columbia University in New York City, where he writes a term paper on his own collection of poetry; he is extremely critical. He meets beat poets in Greenwich Village such as Allan Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac, but they find him too bourgeois. Feeling homesick, Cohen moves back to Montreal and starts working in his family's business, a decision mocked by Layton. He writes an unpublished novel, The Ballet of Lepers. In 1958, he starts reciting poetry in front of jazz ensembles, often at Dunn's Progressive Jazz Parlour, above Dunn's Steak House on Ste. Catherine Street.

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”