CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 & November 1

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
Hartmut

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 and November 1

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:(we better take this conversation to the sidebar before we get evicted from the forum).
:-)
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Typed most of this last night but was too tired to finish it. I think Arlene's excellent report covers all of the essential, so sorry if I have duplicated anything. For what its worth, here are my thoughts:
  • Row 1 seat: It was like having a private performance
  • Smiling on stage: More than I have ever seen before. Band obviously getting along and having a good time. And it shows through in the overall performance.
  • Alex: He adds so much to so many songs
  • The Songs/Set List: More old than new. We all know that we should be broadening our horizons and embracing the new yada yada, yada. But at what cost - dropping Bird on a Wire or Suzanne or even Take this Waltz ? No thanks ! I think he got the mix Just Right !
  • Sharon: Performing Alexandra leaving. Superb. I’d go as far as awesome, and I never use that word.
  • Ambient Temperature: Just right (parts of Texas experienced November record highs yesterday) contrast this with Dublin.....
  • Stage Management: So many instrument changes and band movements on and off stage and it all flows effortlessly. This combined with the sound and lighting make it an almost perfect technical performance.
  • The Band: Once again this team of veterans shows how simple it is to produce an outstanding performance requiring nothing other than skill, talent, tons of rehearsal and bloody hard work. Simple as that.
  • The Audience: Even if some US audiences lack a little in spontaneous displays of enthusiasm, and this one didn’t, they make up for it in spade loads by their attentiveness (New Yorkers excepted of course)
  • Venue: Super acoustics, very comfortable and very suitable. I know the stadium and outdoor venues allow a far greater number of people to attend, but the two best venues I have been to for an LC concert have to be this one and the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. These are very similar – modern purpose built concert halls, superb acoustics, comfortable seating, good sightlines. And far more appropriate to the needs of the age cohort in the audience!
  • Performance Duration: Do we ever stop and realise how spoilt we are. Most modern performers get away with 90 minutes tops and when you discard intervals and support acts some do considerably less. Many “boybands” and other “stars/celebrities” exhaust their repertoire in as little as 45 minutes. Meanwhile we feel a little cheated if they even look like closing down after 3 hours and a mere 7 songs in the encore.
  • Familiar faces: It was nice to bump into a few friendly faces (Hi again Leslie and Arlene) and others who have appeared at different points along the journey.
  • Leonard: The best gets better. He appears so content in his own skin. And like the smiles on stage this is infectious and carries through to the entire performance.
All in all a great night which I thoroughly enjoyed. And a thank you to the Forum organisers and the other people who make the pre-sales available.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Hartmut wrote:
brightnow wrote:Reciting lines from a song as an opener is something that Leonard used to do in prior tours, but not in the tour of 2008-2010..
Hm ... I seem to remember he did that in 2008 - 2010. - E. g. for "If it be your Will", "Born in Chains", and "Anthem".
I have two things to say about that:

1. Of course, you're right...

2. Still, it was somewhat different; "The Flood" has been used as an intro to "Anthem" (last night as well, in fact) but it's not a quote from the song. And yes, Leonard did introduce "If It Be Your Will" with the first few verses, but that was very carefully put in context with "I will read the first few lines and then Neal Larsen on the Hammond B3 and the Webb Sisters will unfold the song..." (quoting from memory here -- pardon any inaccuracies). But what I heard last night was a bit different, it was lines, straight up, without any other introduction, in the tradition of "How To Speak Poetry". It was highly reminiscent of prior tours and somewhat different from the intros of 2008-2010, IMO. But then again, and Wendy pointed out -- it's all a bit of a blur... :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

And there were two references to Hurricane Sandy last night (Nov 1): Leonard dedicated "Banjo" to the people of New Orleans, New Jersey and Staten Island. After reciting "The Flood" (as an intro to Anthem) Leonard said: "Now I do have the proof" which might have been a reference to the recent floods.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Cate

Post by Cate »

Do you think he's referring to climate change?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Overall, loved your review and the way you went about it, FanForLife. Thanks!

Cate ~ I get the impression that it is a reference to climate change, too, the "proof" line in particular. Remember that he has been regularly informed by Anjani on these matters for a very long time, regardless of how busy he's been with whatever else he's been doing... and NEeMA is quite informed, as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Cate wrote:Do you think he's referring to climate change?
The Flood was written in 1973, climate change was not high on the public agenda at that point in time. So I think it is safe to say that the poem was originally referring to a metaphorical flood. This can be further supported by the fact that it was written in a time of war, and in a very dry desert.

As for last night, my immediate reaction was that Leonard was referring to the recent floods, which were coastal floods caused by a Hurricane. Hurricanes pre-date the current warming trend, and the increase in damage from coastal floods can be more easily pinned on coastal development than on global warming; some of these coastlines have been flooding rarely yet regularly for thousands of years, then someone had the bright idea to build there. It all went quite well for a while until the next rare flood came along...

It is possible that Leonard is indeed concerned with Global Warming, but I don't recall any explicit quotes from him on the subject, anyone?
JeffN

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 & November 1

Post by JeffN »

thanks for the updates!

Jeff
Last edited by JeffN on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hartmut

AW: Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 and November 1

Post by Hartmut »

brightnow wrote: But what I heard last night was a bit different
OK, I understand what you mean.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Here are some more raw videos from concert 2, Nov 1.
I started to take videos very cautiously so there is little panning and I didn't raise my camera very high.

Banjo
http://youtu.be/83KlaJWctrU
And there were two references to Hurricane Sandy last night (Nov 1): Leonard dedicated "Banjo" to the people of New Orleans, New Jersey and Staten Island. After reciting "The Flood" (as an intro to Anthem) Leonard said: "Now I do have the proof" which might have been a reference to the recent floods. (Avi/brightnow)
Alexandra Leaving
http://youtu.be/EEUFBZ-s9jw

Going Home
http://youtu.be/ncVAbo9DX2k

Thousand Kisses Deep
http://youtu.be/8tdDQWYjIpA

Secret Life
http://youtu.be/3cVeYO7bAJw

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

And there were two references to Hurricane Sandy last night (Nov 1): Leonard dedicated "Banjo" to the people of New Orleans, New Jersey and Staten Island.
You forgot Queens!
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Is there anyone who can post the correct setlist of the second Austin concert in the appropriate thread please?
See viewtopic.php?f=74&t=33015

Thanks!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Doris

Post by Doris »

Thank you Arlene, you are really a hit!
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I noticed that gesture, too, Joy; however, I took them as hand signals to either bring something 'up' or 'down' [as I couldn't see which way his hand may have motioned].
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

bridger15 wrote:Here are some more raw videos from concert 2, Nov 1.
I started to take videos very cautiously so there is little panning and I didn't raise my camera very high
Thank you all for the detailed reports - looks like a wonderful kickoff to the North American leg.
I didn't expect neither Anthem nor Banjo to go without LC referring to Sandy's devastating damage.

Arlene, your commitment isn't surprising, but always leaves me in awe - 'when there's a will there's a way' was never truer.
Your journalistic skills are natural and the vids are beautiful!

Sunny greetings to all from Tel Aviv,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”