Bird on Wire Lost Celluloid

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
lightning

Bird on Wire Lost Celluloid

Post by lightning »

Hi Everybody,
I hear that in 1972 videographer Tony Palmer lent the original celluloid to Leonard Cohen's agent and never got it back. What a kick in the head! Now that Leonard is planning another tour, it might be timely to release this classic early documentary with some of Leonard's finest work.
Does anyone know where it is, or does anyone have anything of better quality that the VHS circulated as a bootleg which I have excerpted on YouTube?
tomsakic

Re: Bird on Wire Lost Celluloid

Post by tomsakic »

The owner of this film tape is its producer, what's Stranger Music ( = Leonard Cohen). We know that there's first version which Palmer edited, and Leonard didn't like, the released version edited by Leonard and not liked by Tony Palmer, so we can conclude that nobody was happy and that Leonard and Palmer don't like the existing version after all. I think that LC will not let it go out of the archives so easy. But anyhow, there's the material somewhere, unused and unedited shots, cut outs, two versions... Maybe they all should forget about the Bird on a Wire movie (1974 version) and simply use the material for 1972 Tour DVD which could make both of them and all happy.

The VHS tape (with German subtitles I think) is the only known version circulating. Palmer said - when asked - he doesn't have it, as you also heard.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Thanks Tom. Is the VHS with German subtitles the version edited by Palmer or by Leonard? I like this movie very much and don't think it should be overlooked or shelved.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

That's the released 1974 version, Leonard's Palmer's never saw the light of the day... I think that Palmer talked about it in Jim Devlin's book, or somebody talked to him and mentioned that to me, that Palmer is little dissapointed and that he doesn't have the tape at all, and there was an impression that in the end both were dissapointed with the film. But the hope dies last; as I said, if there's the interest (and it seems there ain't never in Sony, when releasing of Cohen DVD comes into quiestion), the final cut can always be done now for DVD release... I only wonder where the mastertape, the negative, is - I don't think that Leonard has the appropriate place to hold celluloid tape for 30 years, and if it's at Sony archives (logical place), then Sony is the owner now, as Leonard sold the complete backlist catalogue, i.e. Stranger Music, to Sony (we know the story; we don't need to repeat who sold it, but legally it's like Leonard sold it). Sony's politics always was that the company owns everything placed in the archives (even if the artist left it there for preservation after the finished production, i.e. outtakes, cuts etc.), except if Leonard didn't archive it there - recently, remember, when I wrote him why there's no "Priests" on Songs of LC re-release, he answered "They didn't find it, I maybe have it somewhere." And then we wonder why artists are destroying outtakes and taking mastertapes of outtakes to their homes.
Preservation and release of this film is one of things to do, and Harry Rasky's The Song of Leonard Cohen, what's my favourite, also.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Thanks for all that information ,Tom. I didn't know that Leonard recorded Priests. I wish that were released as well.
lightning

Post by lightning »

I have just heard from Tony Palmer with whom I've been communicating about this project and he replied:

"I'm afraid Tom Sakic is wrong about several things.
First it was never on tape.
Second, it's not true that Leonard didn't like the original. He was worried about the 'riot in Tel Aviv' sequence (which began the original film), as was Marty Machat, his Jewish lawyer and agent, as well as the constant backstage dramas about the rotten sound equipment. Machat was also worried that Leonard had said in the same hall in Berlin that Goebbels had coined the phrase some 30 years earlier, that we were now involved in a 'total war'.
Marty asked the assistant editor, a jumped-up little squirt called Humphrey Dixon to re-edit these sequence out, and when I found out this was happening behind my back, I withdrew. I should have stayed and fought, but I was too busy then with my series All You Need Is Love.
In fact, on every occasion I have seen Leonard since he has asked me what happened to the original edit? We've just discovered that a copy resides in the British National Film Archive which we are investigating.
And the fact remains that 80 - 90% of what was released - i.e. most of the musical & poetry sequences - was precisely as edited & directed by me.
And the fact is that the originals of both versions have disappeared - at least for now.
And the last laugh is mine. Because several of the sequences which Machat disapproved of and were dropped by Dixon, I used in Episode 12 ofAll You Need Is Love.
And who the hell has now heard of Humphrey Dixon?
TONY P."
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Thanks, Lightning.

First, Mr. Palmer is right, the film indeed was never on tape. I think I didn't say that, we're talking here about the pirate, home-taped VHS (recorded probably from German TV broadcast, or captured in theatre?) - that's the copy which is circulating and the one which extracts are on YouTube.

I'm glad that Tony Palmer explained some things, it's finally clear now what was wrong, as this was never mentioned before, but Nadel's biography does mention the Leonard's "Totalen Krieg" moment. My all knowledge comes from the published biographies, as I said, and indeed I have found my source (and also the source of my impression that both aren't happy with the final version) in Jim Devlin's In Every Style of Passion (1996), page 57:
"The edit premiered in London at the Rainbow Theatre on July 5, 1974, was the second version - produced from some 90 hours of film - because Leonard, who came to London to supervise the new version, was not happy with the first. Tony Palmer told me that he would be appalled at the release of a video of the second version as it was "a bowdlerisation of some wonderful material" and "did not represent the best" of what he and Leonard had done. He doesn't have the original of his original cut. Pity."
Also, Ira B. Nadel in Various Positions (1997), page 184, writes:
"Bob Johnston suggested making a film of the upcoming tour and Tony Palmer, who made a movie about Tom Jones, was hired to direct. Cohen's lawyer Marty Machat produced. Titled Bird on the Wire, it premiered in London at the Rainbow Theatre in 1974 and shows Cohen performing, clowning with his musicians, and trying to pick up women. Cohen was initially unhappy with the arty look of the film and wanted a stronger, documentary texture. He spent nearly six months editing the work, shifting its focus away from visual cliches to the deeper realities of his music. Control was crucial to him, as it was in the production of his first book of poems and his first album. What Cohen wanted was a film that showed the live context of his music and his rapport with his audiences. Bird on the Wire did that but it also showed Cohen emotionally wasted. He felt exposed in the film and thought that his vulnerability was inappropriate for public viewing."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . shows Cohen . . . trying to pick up women
:?:

I remember a scene of a woman definitely trying to pick up Leonard with Leonard declining, but don't recall any ~ and definitely not that one ~ of the reverse. Am I thinking of something other than what's being related here??

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Lizzy,

There is a backstage scene where it looks as if Leonard and a young lady might get it together. However, there are other people involved and Leonard (who is no doubt aware that the camers are on him) smiles and says something like "this is already too complicated" and pulls out. By the way, I went to the premiere of "Bird on the Wire" at The Raibow Theatre. There was a short film with it called "Naked Yoga". I then saw the movie a number of times at other cinemas in London (I felt it was my duty to be there!).
I remember seeing it at a small cinema in Wardour Street Soho, and it's most likely that it was also shown at the ICA in the Mall.

All good things, John E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi John ~

Yes, that's the scene that I'm recalling; yet, even though, were it not for the cameras and bystanders, Leonard may have assented in that situation, it was very clear that what was a 'potential' was at her behest and it could not be considered as Leonard "trying to pick up women," but could very much be considered "a woman trying to pick up Leonard [which were it not for the camera crew and the public nature of it all, Leonard may have agreed]." Who's to even say if he would have. He certainly couldn't accept every offer of that nature that came his way.

I can understand why Leonard felt "exposed" in that film, as it did show him as emotionally vulnerable. It showed him utterly human and has not diminished his stature in the least. If anything, it's been an encouragement for those of us who have felt the very same way, seeing clearly that not just are we not alone, but that someone we admire so greatly has obviously been there, too. It's very affirming in that way.

It must have been awesome for you to have seen all of that footage widescreen and full sound... and multiple times, yet. Wish I could have seen it in that way, that often 8) . [And it was your duty to be there ;-) .]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Christine

Post by Christine »

I don't think we can be talking about different clips here - I'm thinking of Lightning's Part 4 of this where Leonard's definitely doing more than his share of the 'picking up.' And I could be wrong, but it looks like Leonard thinks she's already with a guy.

It's very unclear to me, Lizzy, that this wouldn't be considered as L trying to pick up women as it looks like that's exactly what he's trying to do. Especially when he turns to the cameraman and asks if he got all that.

Thank goodness he is human.

Once again, Lightning, love all the clips you post, thanks so much.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Why is everyone surprised with Cohen trying to connect with women? Have you listened to his songs?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's not that I'm at all surprized by it, Lightning. I'm not. It's just that the way I recall this footage, the woman happened to be the one who took the initiative to suggest a meet-up between them.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Christine

Post by Christine »

That's rubbish, LIzzy. Total crap, actually. Please watch Lightning's original post.
Christine

Post by Christine »

Lightning, I agree, it's nonsense. My apologies to you and others posting here,

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”