Live Montreux 1976 - aborted "Joan"

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Leslie

Live Montreux 1976 - aborted "Joan"

Post by Leslie »

Figured it out.
Last edited by Leslie on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

I guess He felt that He'd lost it?

I remember the last concert Elvis ever done on TV and He kept forgetting the lyrics. Just awful.

:roll:
Leslie

Montreux 1976 - aborted "Joan"

Post by Leslie »

Figured it out.
Last edited by Leslie on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Yes, that's interesting. Perhaps all the mistakes pissed him off and he just decided to stop. Odd to do so at the last verse, though. It probably just wasn't 'working' for him.

Linda.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Scooby Doo,

I remember that Elvis concert! Boy, was that bad! Is that the one where they get into the limo at the end? Where he is soooo stoned, it can't be hidden? That's why he was forgetting the words on stage. He was ripped.

Linda.
Leslie

Montreux 1976 - aborted "Joan"

Post by Leslie »

Figured it out. - Thanks.
Last edited by Leslie on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi,

It may forever remain a mystery. I also, have the Montreaux concert, and can't offer any more insight. Interesting to speculate, though.

Linda.
Leslie

Aborted "Joan"

Post by Leslie »

I've listened to this fabulous '76 Montreux so many times, I finally realized that what happened is LC got mixed up and the musicians didn't screw up - he did. This was his 50th concert in some 60 days, he was doing the third or fourth encore, and into the last verse he messed up and lost his place in the song and must have decided to quit - otherwise it would have meant starting all over again. It was a fine effort and completely understandable.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Leslie,

Sorry if you thought I was trying to 'equate' Leonard's show with that of Elvis' downfall. It was just an observation on how professionals, long seasoned, sometimes 'miss a beat'.

50 shows in 60 nights? That will do it. Terrible pressure these musicians endure 'on the road'. It must be almost impossible to travel, rehearse/sound checks, play that night, unwind, and do it all over again.

And then...create. Truly a sacrifice - the way I see it. But to these people, it's like another day at the office. Amazing that they can keep up. I think your conclusion is quite plausible. I, myself, can't do anything consistently for 50 days. Never mind in 60 nights. In my entire life! Thus far, at least. But there's hope. :)

Regards,
Linda.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

One Dylan concert I attended (Glasgow Feb 1990) Bob didn't remember the words to any single complete song! I don't know what ailed him that night but most songs consisted of gibberish with the occasional title line thrown in.... Leonard has nothing to be forgiven for....
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Jonnie Falafel wrote:Dylan (...) most songs consisted of gibberish with the occasional title line thrown in
He's always like that, isn't he :lol:
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Naughty, naughty :lol:
phillip

Re: Live Montreux 1976 - aborted "Joan"

Post by phillip »

I have listened to this concert many times maybe Leonard did make some mistake but if not I felt this version Of Joan Of Arc is one of the most emotional I have heard maybe the song got to him? lump in throat? you know?..... 8) :?:
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”