Fights and racket at Israel 1972 concert

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Nicolas

Fights and racket at Israel 1972 concert

Post by Nicolas »

Hello,

Although I didn't attend this concert (I wasn't even born), I managed to get a copy of it from Mrs. Stocks FTP while it was still available online and noticed some weird things happening during one of the songs,
it is called "We shall not be moved". The first 3 minutes of the song have caught my attention; here is the transcribed speeches from the recording:

(LC): I'd like to sing this song for the man in orange...
(LC): Sit down, I know you guys are doing your work, why don't you sit down and enjoy the concert... tonight will be fine...
(Someone): ...'They can't do that!!"...
(Public): "Oooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh + whisles"

... Fights in the public ...

(LC): Ok, now listen, I just want to address you guys, I know you're trying to do your job, but you don't have to do with your fists! Now listen ,we can bring 6000 people down into this place. Ok leave those people though they can stay there...
(Public): Whistles + make a din...
(LC): Ok people let's do it...

1 minute of noise

(LC): We shall not be moved
(LC): Ok.

After 3min40, the song finally starts.

I never found any topic about this incident on this forum and was wondering if someone could explain me what happened exactly? Maybe someone here attended this concert?

Thanks for your comments! You can PM me if you'd like to get this recording in mp3.

Cheers,

Nicolas
I told you when I came I was a stranger...
tomsakic

Re: Fights and racket at Israel 1972 concert

Post by tomsakic »

Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Tom,

thanks, VERY interesting indeed!
But when you wrote:
"The happening is filmed in Tony Palmer's Bird On A Wire, as lizzytysh described it" - the link you also provided doesn't seem to work any more. Have you got any idea if - and where! - that Tony Palmer video can still be found?
once again, thank you so much...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
phillip

Post by phillip »

L.C talks about this in an interview the concert was in a sports arena the floor had been re-laid and the security would not let anyone on the floor so the fans where half a mile away! when L.C. invited the fans closer to the stage the secruity (men in orange) tried stopping them resulting in a riot!
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”