What song would you want to be added to the set list?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
burningviolin

Re: What song would you want to be added to the set list?

Post by burningviolin »

MaryB wrote:I would love to see The Gypsy's Wife back in the set list. What better place than Barcelona, Javier's hometown, where his artistry can be showcased even more.

Would reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaally love to hear Gypsy's Wife in Lisbon.......here's hoping but I don't think its in at the moment. That or Hey thats no way to say goodbye... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

The Window
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

On the remotest offchance I get to see him again, it would have to be Memories - I bet the band would enjoy it too :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
sealsker

Post by sealsker »

An impossible question really! - though fun. I don't think with an artist of this calibre you have 'bad' songs - just different ones which have featured in the life stories or captured the imagination of different people - personal favourites, which are all subjective opinions really. I heard a woman behind me this time say "'I don't know why he doesn't play Alexandra Leaving, it's my favourite song" !

For me - Humbled in Love, Lover, Hey that's no way to say goodbye.

I think a bit more variety would be good though. I just saw LC in Belfast, having seen him last year in Edinburgh, and was slightly disappointed by the fact that the set seems to be pretty much the same, as it seems to have been for the last fourteen months. (as evidenced on the Youtube videos and heckofaguys wonderful site). I'd have thought they would refresh it a bit more, if only for their own enjoyment. So then at least we could see our own personal favourites when they pop up on youTube, if we didn't see them live. You can't please all of the people all of the time, so they might as well spread the joy!

I'm not complaining though, it was still a sublime experience, nearly 40 years on from my first live sighting at the Isle of Wight.

SKR
deleuze68

Post by deleuze68 »

I'm going to see LC in Vegas for the first time and am actually quite disappointed by the setlist, seems very safe plus filled with lots of clap traps featuring outdated and cheesy arrangements but maybe that's where Leonard is in his life now. Anything from Songs of Love and Hate. Why only FBR? I'd love to hear Dress Rehearsal Rag or Avalanche. I'd even settle for Teachers or Master Song from Leonard's whiny days.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Light as a Breeze
The Night comes on
Gypsy Wife
Mutti ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

deleuze68 wrote: I'd even settle for Teachers or Master Song from Leonard's whiny days.
:?: :?: :?: :shock:

I can think of many words to describe these songs, but whiny? The mind boggles...

If you are going to a gig in 2009 expecting to hear the sound of SOLAH then you should perhaps expect to be disappointed. He does occasionally throw in Avalanche from this to the setlist, though I imagine this is unlikely in Vegas. What I wouldn't give to go to that concert... go with an open mind, you might be pleasantly surprised.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony »

deleuze68 wrote:I'm going to see LC in Vegas for the first time and am actually quite disappointed by the setlist, seems very safe plus filled with lots of clap traps featuring outdated and cheesy arrangements but maybe that's where Leonard is in his life now. Anything from Songs of Love and Hate. Why only FBR? I'd love to hear Dress Rehearsal Rag or Avalanche. I'd even settle for Teachers or Master Song from Leonard's whiny days.

I can't believe my eyes!!!! :shock: :shock: haha
Do you mean you are going to see him play live for the first time ever- or the first time at that venue? - I assume the former to be the case...
If so I am sure that you are in for a SERIOUS change of mind once you have actually SEEN and FELT Leonard playing live! I have only seen him play the once ever and that was this year.
Ok, so it's fine to have an idea of what songs you would like there to be on the setlist- but TRUST ME- even if he sang 'humpty dumpty sat on the wall' all night long ( ahem...which he won't I am sure :lol: ), you would come out feeling pretty darn affected! I have been to countless concerts and Mr Cohen has knocked them all sideways! PLUS (as if that wasn't already enough) - his band are incredible too!
Have a great time- I look forward to your review! :D

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

After the lighting of green candles in Barcelona by members of the forum and the green light sticks in Tel Aviv, I think we have earned the right to hear One of Us Cannot Be Wrong! :) It's on the setlist so Leonard and the band must have rehearsed it, but so far it hasn't been played at any concerts. Pleeeease, pleeeease, pleeeeease....

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Having now seen one three word title performed live, 'Lover, Lover, Lover' YEAAAAH!(on my original wish list), how about another = 'Dance, Dance, Dance' . I know, fat chance :( . And still on my wish list, 'Light As the Breeze' and 'Because Of'.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Mollydog wrote:After the lighting of green candles in Barcelona by members of the forum and the green light sticks in Tel Aviv, I think we have earned the right to hear One of Us Cannot Be Wrong! :) It's on the setlist so Leonard and the band must have rehearsed it, but so far it hasn't been played at any concerts. Pleeeease, pleeeease, pleeeeease....

Mary
It would be wonderful to hear One of Us Cannot Be Wrong, I will add my pleeeease too!

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

merton wrote:I don't think he has sung Heart With No Companion on the last two European tours but that is one song I'd like to hear -without excluding anything else of course.

Merton
I am not absolutely sure, but i really think, that he's perform Heart with no Companion in Zürich, October 2008. I also like it very much. But we can be very glad, that they make so many changes in the Setlist so far. Not much Performer do so. I was really glad, that he bring in Lover, lover, lover and The Partisan. But you know, you can ask this question to every Fan and everyone has a different Setlist. No wonder, after this long Life-Time-Artwork with good Songs, better Songs, perfect Songs, happy Songs, sad Songs; some of them are maybe a little light, as other says. Some of them are to sad, they say. But we have to admit, when the Songs came alive, they meaning something to the Man. Sometimes a happy Story, sometimes a Story of luck, sometimes a Story of loss, and etc. Especially our Man bring in his very full Heart. I would like to hear all the Songs, that he wrote in his career, in a Live-Performance now. Listen to the differences at Lover, lover, lover 30 years back and a new live-Version. And so you can pick every Song and i am sure: everyone would sound good, in this Days.
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse »

We saw Leonard in Nantes on July 6th. I was hoping that being in France he would sing Joan of Arc which he didn't but never mind We played it on the way back!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Yes, I totally agree with recent suggestions: One of Us Cannot Be Wrong, and Joan of Arc. And, unlike the live (1988) version of One of Us... on the Cohen Live CD, Leonard should sing the "la-la-la's" at the end (with or without the hysteria of the original studio recording)! I love all of his "la-la-la's". The ones from Joan of Arc are among the best ever! Everyone at the concert could "la-la-la" along with him, wouldn't that be great?
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

I was actually hoping to see a lot of what I have already seen, but if I were to choose a song from each album, I would love to have seen:

One of Us...
A Bunch of Lonesome Heroes
Avalanche
A Singer Must Die
Iodine
Came so far for Beauty
Coming Back to You
Nothing from I'm Your Man, because everything was played.
Light as the Breeze - I love the "something like this" towards the end.
1000 Kisses or That Don't Make It Junk
The Letters

Now, if I were choosing from songs they have rehearsed...

would have loved to hear "Heart With No Companion", "One of Us...", or "Lover Lover Lover".

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”