CONCERT REPORT: Madrid, Spain, October 5, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
RogerE

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Madrid, Spain, October 5, 2012

Post by RogerE »

Does anybody know why LC did not sing Gypsy Wife? I heard only (amazing & superb) The Guests, and his voice sound little too tired there, down under the ground... Maybe he was needing a sudden rest for his voice? I see him on stage with the guitar in the clip...
Did you ever think about the possibility of it just being a good idea to do it?
They have been doing it the same way for years now, they may have just wanted it to be a bit differnt?
They may have tried this in rehearsals and liked it?
Or it happened in rehearsals by accident?
Out of courtesy to the singers?

There are so many possible answers to this...

I only can say that for me - to whom Gypsy's wife is always a highlight - it was a positive surprise to hear this version in Madrid.
And his voice was in such a good shape otherwise that I don't believe we have to discuss a possible weakness here.
The Guests sounded for me exactly the way it should have. And what a surprise it was!
For me this was his strongest concert so far (number eight) and in a way the most powerful.
Last edited by RogerE on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Fohla de S.Paulo - a newspaper in Brazil -
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/ ... adri.shtml

At the bottom - LEONARD COHEN EVALUATION: GREAT :D
08/10/2012 - 4:13 a.m.

Review: Leonard Cohen Wows 15,000 In Madrid

By: ANDRÉ BARCINSKI
CRÍTICO DA FOLHA

An appeal to our concert promoters: please bring some kind soul Leonard Cohen to Brazil.

The Canadian singer-songwriter, who just turned 78, is in the midst of a world tour for his latest album, "Old Ideas." And his concert is one of those unforgettable musical experiences.

On the night of Thursday in Madrid, Cohen mesmerized an audience of 15,000 fans for four hours, a marathon of emotion, inspiration and musical virtuosity.

The audience reciprocated: abandoned chairs and listened to music in the last six feet, screaming and clapping, before gifting the idol with a rain of flowers and tickets. Many people cried.

Pop music does not get better than that.

As he entered the stage, Cohen, dressed impeccably in a suit and hat, thrilled the audience by saying, "Friends, do not know when we will return to find us. So let us make this night a special moment. Lets take everything you have ".

Denis Balibouse / Reuters
The singer, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen

And they even. For exact four hours (the show started at 21:15 and ended at 1:15, with an interval of 20 minutes), Leonard Cohen and a band of nine musicians, including three extraordinary singers and guitarist Javier Catalan But, they played 33 songs for an audience that included from teens to seniors of 70 and 80 years.

Cohen walked across the stage greeting the musicians. Took off his hat to the singers and musicians knelt beside each soil.

His voice, although no more power than other times, still manages to thrill. His phrasing is perfect, and the way he sings, sometimes whispering, sometimes narrating, is unique and inimitable.

As he himself says in "Tower of Song": "I was born so I had no choice / I was blessed with a golden voice."

His physical limitations are evident: in some songs, like "The Gypsy's Wife," "Coming Back to You" and "Alexandra Leaving", he did not sing, is just admiring the singers.
At the end of the show, he was visibly tired. But the audience, realizing his effort, cheered even more.

The repertoire was flawless. Classics like "Dance Me To The End of Love," "Bird on the Wire" and "Suzanne" mingled the songs from the last album and rarities such as "The Guests," which he had not touched on this tour. The public knew and sang every song.

The sequel to "I'm Your Man," "Hallelujah" and "Take This Waltz" made the entire audience rise from their chairs and just stay until the end of the show half an hour later.
The presentation was wrapped in a poignant farewell feeling.

In the end, Cohen said: "I hope from my heart that we can meet again," before leading the band into a beautiful version of "Save the Last Dance for Me" by The Drifters. A perfect end to a perfect evening.

It is again the request: please someone bring this guy to Brazil, before it's too late. One such show is priceless.

LEONARD COHEN
EVALUATION GREAT
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Nos Gusta La Musica -
http://nosgustalamusica.com/cronica-leo ... id-051012/
Recap: Leonard Cohen - Palacio de Deportes (Madrid) - 05/10/12
Written by Ramon Santos on Monday, October 8, 2012

On stage, an exquisite sobriety, watching a group of willing tools and reflected on an endless curtain, distinguished figure of a young naked breasts firm and calm, holding the reins of a strong horse. Outside, the moon had gone, bitten by the silhouette of a Borsalino hat. I could not help the image of "The Horse's Bath" of Sorolla blended with sea horse of "The Book of Imaginary Beings" of Borges, the only animal that walks the earth when the breeze brings the smell of mares in the light of the moon ... and the horse galloped, oblivious to his nearly eighty years, attracted by the desire of an audience thirsty and passionate dancing beyond fear, far from spent kissing the end of love, accompanied a violin, Bublitchi Alexandru, who came from the fields of sunflowers Moldovans to illuminate a magical night.

Cohen began his concert with "Dance me to the end of love" and, almost four hours later, it ended with "Save the Last Dance". Between dance and dance: a life. Twelve thousand lives of all ages, who left indelible memories drawing at night with the appreciation of an audience to win freedom again, like a drunk in a midnight choir, as a "Bird on the Wire" as a bird charmed by the sound of a mandolin Javier Mas, in the words of the head teacher, who turned to be great, this time with a lute in flames, in "Who by fire".

Among messages of repentance ("Amen"), mercy ("Come Healing") and hope ("Going Home"), taken from the "Old Ideas", the teacher last record, we had a chance in the first half to rediscover the love abrasarnos and again at the foot of the "Sisters of Mercy" or attend a wonderful duet between the murmur of the teacher and the delightful voice of Sharon Robinson, who crossed the borders of the secret love "In My Secret Life".

It was a wonderful first part vanished almost without our accounts, as if time had stopped, between shadow play between songs that were projected on backgrounds blue and red, purple and gold, and coral seas, as a discreet lighting as elegant and suggestive, which ended with the message that it is sometimes desirable to break yet to see the light ("Anthem").

If the first half was impressive, even more so was the second. Perched on the "Tower of Song" from where we spotted how time and friends and loves are disappearing, without anesthesia, alone with his guitar, as if we listened for the first time, sounded "Suzanne" and went back to tea and Chinese oranges at home, on the banks of the river, just before, majestic, surely one of the most emotional moments of the night, sounded "The Partisan", with Cohen's long shadow cast on a background of struggle and freedom.

There was a time for relaxation of the teacher, who until that moment, from the beginning to the end, never tired of showing their gratitude and respect to each of the members of the orchestra and the audience, clasping her hands, leaning on each song in reverence, his hat, kneeling. Rang "Coming Back to You" in the pristine and blessed voices of the sisters Hattie and Charley Webb and, this time alone, Sharon Robinson wrecked us with pure joy with fears and farewell "Alexandra Leaving".

Then came the final fireworks: "I'm your man" was again the most beautiful declaration of love and submissive ever written, "Hallelujah" perfect prayer "Take This Waltz" the waltz in the morning and frost Lily and the moon, and lilies adorned the master violins, almost without accent, with an "I love you, I love you, I love you" in perfect Castilian ... and went back to trot and canter with a devoted audience which came ecstatic with the first chords of "So Long, Marianne" and that "First We Take Manhattan" ceased to be losers and eventually conquering Berlin. It was all a dream. A dream that ended with the promise that he would continue working to tear a smile ("I tried to leave you") and with the request that he guardásemos the last dance for him.

Just started the concert, Leonard said he did not know when they would see us and that was reason enough to give it all that night. He gave everything. We gave everything. And all he better than anyone, know that he will not. After three long years from gig to gig, hard disk (say the last due out next year), trying to save for a short break, it's likely to retire to a monastery as it did at other times, although I would not rule out the possibility that allthough his days in a new Hydra, in search of another with whom Marianne rescan curly forest of lilac and with whom to share delicious eggplant salad and a good Greek wine while day arrives judgment. Thank you, master.

Recap | Ramon Ray Santos and Monsanto

Photos | Ana Santos
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Musicopolis.es -
http://www.musicopolis.es/leonard-cohen ... 500762012/
Leonard Cohen. Palace of Sports. Madrid. 10/05/2012

By Adelolmo, on 08 - 10-2012

There was once a man who, leaning over the precipice of a world ravaged by war, disease and renouncing love, was 78 years defoliating the gospel of his testimonials mundane. With a deep voice that seemed to come from the boundary of heaven and earth and belittled his eyes suffered from exhaustion and his skin wrinkled with age (but with the mind intact), was launched into space in this world leaves a Book where he was baring his being, while the inhabitants of your universe roamed the Earth, losing half the dressing and undressing life the other half lives, as silent witnesses of a collection of lives that this man was the best prophets. And sang to life and the absence, to love, to the night of the largest city in the world (New York) in the month of December, when snow does nothing to stop white shoulders of its inhabitants. And when the rain wet the memories of a sad past, truthful and buried in the memory of a humanity that rushes inexorably toward ignorance.

The first page of his book was "Dance me to the end of love" and hence the tour, with nine archangels behind (six men with their instruments, three women to the heavenly choirs) was recalling his life, making poetry only song of his compositions.
Some daring in this world said many cooks spoiled the broth. But the secret of his potion simmered for decades of wisdom, camaraderie and simplicity with his companions, whom he treats with respect admirable (kneeling playing their instruments) is an insoluble conundrum. Will all die without decrypting all keys, but deeply affected by the feeling of his songs. As everyone knew already prepared for such brutal displays of human strength. "Every knows", "Sisters of Mercy" or "In My Secret Life" were part of the first part of his book, among many others. From there, each and every one of the witnesses of his lyrics floated much higher than that covered the sky.

And "broooommmmmmmmmm ....." her voice swept everything in its path and where all human misery sang disintegrated.

Leaving him still room in this demonstration of clairvoyance, in the second part of his book singing "Hallelujah", "I'm your man", "Suzanne", "Take This Waltz" (when many were close to tears), " Tower of Song "," The Guests "(your field carried by Antony and the Johnsons) or the earthy and fiery" First We Take Manhattan "that made ​​his audience jump from their seats and their hearts to soar into outer space, where only the feet helped us know that we are still citizens of a world where others send.

Caught up in this feeling and pierced by the glow of his stories, which so far are the last leaves of his doctrine, "Old ideas" are not just another collection of a legacy that will leave a mark in one of the finest musical poets all time. And when we leave, it will be all this, for the world in which we live can be reflected miserably but this legacy as Leonard Cohen imperative that has shaped the history of our world. No two ways about it, everything that is said about this man, who seems more human than other humans, it's just a lie. And if you dare, come down and listen to God. Amen.

Tags: Leonard Cohen Chronicle Madrid 2012 , Leonard Cohen
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

RogerE wrote:
Does anybody know why LC did not sing Gypsy Wife? I heard only (amazing & superb) The Guests, and his voice sound little too tired there, down under the ground... Maybe he was needing a sudden rest for his voice? I see him on stage with the guitar in the clip...
Did you ever think about the possibility of it just being a good idea to do it?
They did it the same way for years now, they may have just wanted it to be a bit differnt?
They may have tried this in rehearsals and liked it?
Or it happened in rehearsals by accident?

There are so many answers to this...

I only can say that for me, to whom Gypsy's wife is always a highlight, it was a positive surprise to hear this version in Madrid.
And his voice was in such a good shape that I don't believe that we have to discuss apossible weakness here.
For me this was his strongest concert so far (number 8) and in a way the most powerful.
No I didn't think because I prefer that LC sings it... One song for vocalists is okay but two... and one of his greatest songs... Why are you so negative... I only wonder why he didn't sing it as he usually does. It's okay with me if the girls will sing it from now on, but let's hope they'll drop another solo then. The concerts are really long now and last ten days or so it is apparent that his voice sounds tired.

This being sad, the best idea on a Leonard Cohen show is to have Leonard Cohen sing his songs. Sorry for saying that.
margaret

Post by margaret »

It seems to me that Leonard is now tired after this series of long concerts, pushing himself to give us as much as he can each night. I saw him in Amsterdam near the start of this tour when he appeared fresh, happy and full of energy. In Verona he seemed tired and from accounts of these last concerts he definitely seems in need of a rest. Maybe we have been spoilt by shows of almost 4 hours and are now expecting too much of a 78 year old man.
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

This being sad, the best idea on a Leonard Cohen show is to have Leonard Cohen sing his songs. Sorry for saying that.
Mmmh...
Well, in that case you seem to be missing half of what's that all about.
For me UHTC is a unity. If Leonard is singing or if his singers are and he is just watching and enjoying is all the same for me.
I would even go further by saying we are part of the unity ourselves and when the singers are singing, he is standing closer to our side, the audience side of the unity.

...why are you so negative...

I'm the one who enjoyed it like it's been offered.
You're the one who didn't...
That's your choice but with this kind of attitude you should reconsider calling somebody negative who only wants to show up positive options.
Last edited by RogerE on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

I have been been fortunate to have attended several of the concerts on the 2012 tour at many cities including Fridays show in Madrid where I had a front row seat. I don't think there is any evidence that LC is feeling tired towards the end of the show in fact quite the opposite if you watched him towards the end at Madrid where he was full of energy.
For such a long concert performance I think it's a good idea to have the Webb Sisters and Sharon sing some songs on their own as it makes the whole concert performance more interesting. I would be quite happy to hear them sing a few more; maybe Bird on the Wire or Sisters of Mercy would be good. We still need LC however for "I'm your Man" :lol:
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

LHHUNTER wrote:I have been been fortunate to have attended several of the concerts on the 2012 tour at many cities including Fridays show in Madrid where I had a front row seat. I don't think there is any evidence that LC is feeling tired towards the end of the show in fact quite the opposite if you watched him towards the end at Madrid where he was full of energy.
For such a long concert performance I think it's a good idea to have the Webb Sisters and Sharon sing some songs on their own as it makes the whole concert performance more interesting. I would be quite happy to hear them sing a few more; maybe Bird on the Wire or Sisters of Mercy would be good. We still need LC however for "I'm your Man" :lol:

LHHUNTER:
YOU're my man! :D
On Youtube I'm still enjoying the singers harmonics while singing Gypsy's Wife in Madrid.
And I'll never forget the fist time I heard the Webb Sisters sing If it be you're Will in Wiesbaden. I was absolutely stunned. I was close to the stage and it felt like the angels were singing in heaven.
And then there was the first time I heard Sharon sing Alexandra Leaving in Gent. Wow...
And I'm always enjoying LC while he is standing still and listens during these songs.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by chas3964 - Thanks!

"The last song of the night" - a view of the stage from the side that also includes a view of the screen
And it's just a partial - but ... it includes "I love you oh so much ..." :D

Save The Last Dance For Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vGG5SMonfY
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Alessandro Tellini - Thanks!

Not up close - but sound is good.

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVLihjHnyo

Coming Back To You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPE8HH9eG24

Sisters of Mercy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw78_V8fIaQ

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2srXJs8IMOs

Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqRsaCRdDk

Tower of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRtGvaSHHg

Hallelujah
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UAno2ocSoY
Jackster

Post by Jackster »

LEONARD COHEN en MADRID

Crónica: http://www.solo-rock.com/index1.php?mai ... id&id=1651

Galería de fotos (10): http://www.solo-rock.com/galeria/thumbn ... album=1433

Sorry it's in spanish, but It's how we work in our website.
2008: FIB Benicàssim, Berlin; 2009: Madrid; 2012: Madrid
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by jeroniman76 - Thanks

Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdopaNTiFjw
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

deleted
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Charlie sang the first part of Gypsy Wife in Barcelona then Leonard took over. Sounds to me as if they have been working on a new arrangement for the song.

Wendy
Re Gypsy Wife
That's right in Barcelona Charlie started and leonard took over for most of the song.
Leonard also didn't sing on this song in lisbon. Maybe there was a sense of this is the end of this leg of the tour so let's experiment! It will be interesting to find out what happens in N. America

i'm sure there is scope for the webb sisters and sharon to lead on more songs - but hopefuly not too many!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”