CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 22, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Laura

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Bucharest, September 22, 2012

Post by Laura »

Paivi, I am so sorry. I wish I had known you were coming here, maybe I could have helped or at least showed you the good parts of Bucharest, too. It is my fault too; I stretched myself too thin, tried to do too many things these days, and for the first time ever Cohen or the cohenites were not one of my top priorities anymore. I am sad, I wish there was something I could say to show you that Romania is not all like this.

I didn't write a report for this concert because it has been a bitter experience for me as well, also on account of the organisers. I spent the first two songs being shuttled from a seat to another, not being able to figure out where I was supposed to sit. I spent the first two songs screaming at people, and the rest of the concert in bitterness and anger and shame for what I have done (I practically had a screaming session in the first row... argh). I had been to the concert in Istanbul just a few days before, and by comparison I think Cohen himself seemed more alive and energetic in Bucharest, but the spectators, oh!
The previous two concerts in Bucharest have been different, at least for me. There were also a lot less spectators (7 or 8000 compared with 15.000), and the feeling was, as it should have been, of respect and witnessing an unique event. Unfortunately, I think we should also blame the problems with this concert on Cohen becoming such a "star"; I think many tickets were just sold on account of his popularity.
Not to be all negative, though, I think there were many people there who were indeed touched by the music. I happened to sit next to a young couple (and be shuttled back and forth together with them), and I could see the man recognised every song from the first notes. I think there were many like that.

Laura
Laura

Post by Laura »

Crip, things were even more complicated! ;-) I had an "A left" ticket, but getting there I had the surprise to find out a whole "A2 left" sector had magically appeared in front of me (it wasn't there when I bought my ticket!) I still haven't figured out where A1 was, or if such thing existed.

Laura
vladb

Post by vladb »

I was disappointed by the overall experience as well. Based on Leonard's concerts here in 2008 and 2009 I was expecting the kind of mesmerised audience that would not dare breathe so as to not make a sound and disturb the master's prayer. I'm glad LC's music is touching more people, but the mix of poor organisation and disrespectful behaviour was very disappointing. It takes a while for Leonard's younger students to absorb his wisdom and gracefully sit the f* down, but I'm sure next year they'll be better people so, Leonard, do come back. Also, did anyone else think the volume was a little low?

Earthly matters aside Leonard and the band were, as you'd expect, brilliant. Which is why, knowing what happened, I'd still choose to go. There is a crack in everything [and at times I could see him through the many people standing up].

Thanks again, Leonard :)
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

Laura wrote:Paivi, I am so sorry. I wish I had known you were coming here, maybe I could have helped or at least showed you the good parts of Bucharest, too. It is my fault too; I stretched myself too thin, tried to do too many things these days, and for the first time ever Cohen or the cohenites were not one of my top priorities anymore. I am sad, I wish there was something I could say to show you that Romania is not all like this.

I didn't write a report for this concert because it has been a bitter experience for me as well, also on account of the organisers. I spent the first two songs being shuttled from a seat to another, not being able to figure out where I was supposed to sit. I spent the first two songs screaming at people, and the rest of the concert in bitterness and anger and shame for what I have done (I practically had a screaming session in the first row... argh). I had been to the concert in Istanbul just a few days before, and by comparison I think Cohen himself seemed more alive and energetic in Bucharest, but the spectators, oh!
The previous two concerts in Bucharest have been different, at least for me. There were also a lot less spectators (7 or 8000 compared with 15.000), and the feeling was, as it should have been, of respect and witnessing an unique event. Unfortunately, I think we should also blame the problems with this concert on Cohen becoming such a "star"; I think many tickets were just sold on account of his popularity.
Not to be all negative, though, I think there were many people there who were indeed touched by the music. I happened to sit next to a young couple (and be shuttled back and forth together with them), and I could see the man recognised every song from the first notes. I think there were many like that.

Laura
Dear Laura!

Thank for Your kind words! Perhaps there were many disappointed people, but also many who were really enjoying the concert.
Thank You also for telling that You should have introduced us Your capital city Bucharest! I have good news for You! For us this was the second visit to Bucharest this year! We were there in April and we were reallly fond of Bucharest! It was a good surprise for us and perhaps that's why wanted to come back!
In April we had a private citytour there and we were privileged to admire the Danube delta too, having a very good quide of birding there. We fell in love with the delta and its unbelievable nature!! We fell in love with Romania! Thanks for Your idea to show us Bucharest! I appreciate it. Perhaps we will meet in Bucharest or somewhere else.
I was only complaining those who came to the concert without respecting Cohen's work!

Päivi
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Olé!

(instagram by Karin Strohweiss)

liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

it's always the same..whenever a cohen fan sees a poster around town they always want to be photographed in front of it...ta ken
poster.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Laura

Post by Laura »

Sigh... Batman was here and I missed him... This is how opportunities always pass me by! :-(

Laura
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Paivi, according to reports, people in Dublin behaved even worse, but apparently some people think it's traditional way there and that it is new kind of behaviour supported at a Leonard Cohen concert. I didn't attend the Bucharest show, but I must ad (in defense) that the shows in Eastern Europe (and especially Balkans) always more little more merry (but still full of respect as that man's music was sign of freedom for decades under Communism). The audience in Croatia and Ljubljana and Budapest ruptured in ovations as soon LC stood on stage, and in Serbia - well, they went crazy at the first tacts of Gypsy sound in Dance Me...

For me it's especially sad to hear that both Laura and Vlad, as old fans, had some same issues I have with this year's Leonard's concerts, "new" audience and its behaviour. Leonard's show are turned into a spectacle and hype now, after 246 rapturous shows of 2008-10 tour, and apparently he has the burden of an institution now, feeling he has to deliver the best-of setlist and the spectacle to the new audience. My favorite 2012 show would be opened by Going Home, and then have only 20 tracks of new songs, "new old songs" and few favorite classics in encores... and smaller venues and even smaller band.

See you somewhere in 2013 tour on a show in the region (Balkans, Central Europe)... :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Paivi, I'm happy you liked Romania... next time you are here, send me a message too, I love meeting cohenites. :-)

Tom, there is a difference between being "merry" and being disrespectful... Maybe I was influenced because I started the concert by fighting for my seat, and the main argument of the other person was that his ticket was more expensive, so he deserved a seat in front of me (yeah, well, mine was 75euros and his was 100; 75 is nothing?!). I had very acutely the feeling that many people there "were in it for the money". I realised that's why I go to concerts, again and and again: for the connection that appears between the public and the band; the moments of singing the refrains together, the spellbound silence, the crazy ovations. Without that, most of the experience was gone for me.

Laura
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More video from Bucharest -

Uploaded by Paun Ana Gianina - Thanks!

The Partisan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8WDXXbUe-U

Amen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii7B79WqnW4

Who By Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXSLZeWtPHI