CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, September 2

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
coolfadda

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, September 2

Post by coolfadda »

Lizzy, just sent you a pm....
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

The concert in Helsinki was PERFECT!!

Although there were more than 20 degrees colder than in Ghent (which was also as good as possible), the concert in Helsinki was touching and making us to believe, Cohen really is the friend of Finland!

We were also thankful, that Cohen thanked Jarkko Arjatsalo, who really has earned the praise: in 1990s the only newspaper that advertised the concerts was Helsingin Sanomat. So I missed most of concerts in 1990s, not the one in 1993!! Now it is easy to decide, where to go and also buying the tickets is much more painless! And we know what is going to happen and what has happened!!! Thanks to Jarkko!!!

Once again we are speechless! The intensive atmosphere of the concert was very touching, something we are going to wait and wait again and again!! Like waiting for the Miracle!

I would like to thank Leonard for all this but also that once again it was worth to live: waiting for the Miracle to come!! We told You: the song seemed to be sang for US!I could not help crying! Thank You Leonard, once again!!

Thanks also for whole the band!! You are lovely, not sniffy at all! Everyone of You seem to honestly work for the welfare of the audience in the concert but also outside the stage! Special thanks to Roscoe, who is extra friendly!! At the breakfast we had an possibility to thank You! You asked, if we want once again new photos. I told You, not now, because I don,t have any make-up. You said: neither have I!!! So I will attach those no-make-up pictures!! Thanks also the extra-waves in the concert!! And finally thanks for the signatures of the photos taken in Ghent!!
I'll attach a couple of pics from Ghent to Ghent files!

You all, Leonard Cohen, Roscoe Beck and the whole band made our rain to stop and brought the warmth to Helsinki, THANK YOU ALL!! Hope we will see You in Bucharest!!!

Päivi and Juhana
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

Sorry, I did not manage to send those few pictures from my iPhone!! Perhaps they were made to be secret, in my secret life!
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
ilia

Post by ilia »

With heartful gratitude from Roman Gavrilin and Ilia Muraviov
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Roman and Ilia,

Thank you for this beautiful photograph of Jarkko and Eija. You have captured their exuberance and happiness.
Belated birthday wishes also Roman, and what a way to spend it. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Another great shot from Helsinki, Vesa Tapiola is the photographer!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
ridge39

Post by ridge39 »

I am a new member in this group and I would like to share with you some thoughts. Last Sunday’s concert in Helsinki was my first Leonard Cohen concert and I still wonder was I hit by a meteorite? It was by the far the greatest and most beautiful concert where I have ever been.
When I was a little girl, my godmother used to play me the records by Leonard Cohen and I was so thrilled about his voice. Well, my godmother did play me also the records of Julio Iglesias, but he didn’t have quite the same effect on me… :D I have listened Leonard Cohen’s music all my life. I adore his voice like so many people do and I really enjoy his lyrics.

I was planning to come to 2010 Helsinki concert with my colleague, but somehow we didn’t. And then we made a promise to each others, that if Leonard Cohen ever again comes to Helsinki, we are going to that concert and nothing can stop us. Unfortunately something did and my dear colleague and friend past away very suddenly one year ago. So last Sunday I went to see Leonard Cohen not just because I wanted to see him performing, but also to keep up the promise to my dear friend. The concert felt like a religious experience and I could finally left the anger that I have been carrying since my friend died. In the concert I had this very strong feeling that I am like a pilgrim who has landed to a holy land. I think that music of Leonard Cohen can touch your soul in such unique way.

Now I just have one serious problem. I would like to quit my boring job and take my backpack and see so many LC concerts that it is possible to see :) I used to dream walking the pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela, but now I am dreaming to see Leonard Cohen performing in Verona, Barcelona or Montreal. Is this normal?
Riitta
mirka

Post by mirka »

To ridge39:
yes, it's p erfectly normal, you just contracted the Shadowing Leonard Cohen virus.
Happy travelling !
:D :D :D
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

ridge39 wrote:Is this normal?
Riitta
Welcome to the club of Cohenphilic Personality Disorder sufferers. Don't worry none of us want to be cured but even if we did there ain't no cure ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks all for the wonderful reports and pictures. We are very pleased all worked out so well for Jarkko and Eija, Rauli and Jenni, and the hard working Maarten, and the rest of the faithful.

Miss you all, but this forum is a great way to be a part of the experience.
ridge39

Post by ridge39 »

Well, I am very glad that there ain’t no cure for this.. :D

The funny thing was that even though it was quite cold day, you forgot it as soon as the concert started. The sun was shining so nicely during the day, so at first I was a little disappointed that it was almost raining. But that’s just because I am a novice and didn’t know that this wonderful wonderful man and his band can bring so much warmth, light and joy even to the coldest place.

The Webb sisters have voice like angels and Come healing really made me cry. It is very healing song, I have to say. And it was also so lovely to hear Suzanne live for the first time in my life. That song is magical.
Wan

Post by Wan »

to Riitta,
Just reading you and your friend's story made my eyes wet. Those moments when music and our life interweave together could be forever. Going to Cohen's concert is also like a pilgrim journey for me. I was getting to know Cohen's great music and poem only about three years ago. How come I listened to Famous Blue Raincoat and other covers for so many years but I didn't know Leonard Cohen before! I still remember at that time I played Live in London again and again and that voice is never enough. After Old Ideas released, I promised to myself as long as Cohen tour again I will go to his concert wherever it is and whatever it takes. So Pairs' concert will be my first. I would come all the way from China ;) And I just bought another ticket in Lisbon a few days ago. That was a sudden decision when I was planning my trip within Europe. So this is part of my story. I was wondering if it is normal before. The only thing I'm sure about is that I'll not regret and probably be regret for my life if I don't go.
I hope you'll enjoy your journey too :)

to Jarkko:
Thank you and this forum so much (deep from my heart)! I'm new here and didn't know much. Without your effort and this forum I can never make my concert trip smoothly. Thanks!!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

jarkko wrote:Image

Another great shot from Helsinki, Vesa Tapiola is the photographer!

A stunning capture of a moment of happiness .

Can't remember a better candid picture of Leonard . Kind of says it's great to be here , to be alive , and to be approaching the age of 78!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
ridge39

Post by ridge39 »

Dear Wan,

Thanks for your nice words. I am sure that your concert trip to Europe will be beyond words and
something you will always remember. I'm going to cherish the memory of my first Leonard Cohen concert
for the rest of my life. The feeling when the night in Helsinki is getting darker and weather colder and
you hear Leonard singing "And the night came on It was very calm I wanted the night to go on and on"...

I wish you a wonderful journey!

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”