Old Ideas Tour fading out? (New songs dropping like flies?)

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
bluebell

Re: Old Ideas Tour fading out? (New songs dropping like flie

Post by bluebell »

Thousand Kisses Deep is what I would most like to have return. Never tire of hearing it
Dublin 1988, 2008,2009, Belfast 2009, Bratislava 2009, Gent 2010, Dublin 2012
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

I'm surprised he is not doing the new album in its entirety along with all the hits we so much enjoy and an obscure song or two as well.

Over the last few years, I have seen artists do entire newly released albums. I would have welcomed this with Leonard.
themucaro

Post by themucaro »

I'll have to listen back to be sure but I think he only played four songs from Old Ideas in Dublin last night
2008: Benicassim, Spain
2009: Dublin, Ireland and Madrid, Spain
2010: Grenoble, France and Tours, France
2012: Dublin x 2
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Yes, 4 most nights but 6 on the final night. (Although he had been performing "Darkness" already on the last tour, so it's hard to see that as one of the "new" songs)

It's understandable that they have to "feel their way" with the new songs, and more willl probably be included as time goes on. No sign of "Lullaby" yet, though he sang its prototype in the Point in Dublin in 2009 - much changed since then.)
They worked well live, I thought, much enhanced by Alexandru's lovely violin, although it's a pity to have them all in the first half (except for "Anyhow" on night 4 - much changed too and funnier than on "Old Ideas" !) In an outdoor venue the audience is at its most restless until darkness descends, so part 2 tends to get more attention. Still, there is a good blend of old and new, and I think most of us love to hear songs like "Night Comes On" and "I Can't Forget" live for the first time - in a way they count as "new" songs too!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

TipperaryAnn wrote:I think most of us love to hear songs like "Night Comes On" and "I Can't Forget" live for the first time - in a way they count as "new" songs too!
And Light As The Breeze :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

musicmania wrote:
And Light As The Breeze :)[/quote]

Yes, great to hear that! :D The more "oldies" the better too. Looking forward now to Joan of Arc surfacing at some concert....
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
musicmania wrote:
And Light As The Breeze :)
Yes, great to hear that! :D The more "oldies" the better too. Looking forward now to Joan of Arc surfacing at some concert....[/quote]

It should do as it is being tested in sound check. I tried recording it last Wednesday but the wind means the song can't be heard :(
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

It IS great to see the old 'new' songs! Hope these stay in the set list;

Night Comes On
Light As the Breeze

I am sorely missing 'Save the Last Dance For Me'!!!!!!!!!

Am hoping to hear 'Joan of Arc' in Paris - so appropriate.

Jacques, Fred's and Vegas Ed's cousin is waiting to join them in Paris. I know it's a poor bribe, but I'll try anything to get this to become a reality ;-) :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
yentek

Post by yentek »

I've been listening to some of the old stuff and hearing "Love Calls You By Your Name" after so long just bowled me over. Love to hear it live.

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”