Old Ideas Tour fading out? (New songs dropping like flies?)

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
BlizzardofIce

Old Ideas Tour fading out? (New songs dropping like flies?)

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Ghent:
1. Going home
2. Banjo
3. Darkness
4. Amen
5. Come healing
6. Different Sides
7. Crazy to love you

Halden:
1. Darkness
2. Amen
3. Banjo
4. Come healing

Why?
There are many ways a man can serve his time
TipperaryAnn

Re: Old Ideas' Tour fading out?

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Hope not, Blizzard. Those whose first LC concert this is will no doubt expect " Hallelujah" and "Suzanne", which are always included, but those of us lucky enough to attend the previous tour will hope for some new songs, and since this is called the "Old Ideas Tour", the more from "Old Ideas" the merrier!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I, too, am hoping for as many as possible from Leonard's new album.

Am already dearly missing his not reciting A Thousand Kisses Deep.
It always carried me into profound and moving realms.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Blizzard. I sort of noticed the same thing. Part of the reason may be the different length of concerts at each venue, which happens for various reasons.

The stats on all songs for the first 11 concerts (Gothenburg not up yet) can be found here: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/leonard-coh ... World+Tour
If you drill down on each song, you will see the venue names where it has played.

Come Healing ..11
Amen.............11
Banjo.............10
Darkness.........10
Different Sides..9
Going Home......6
Crazy To Love....2

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're right, Arlene.
The difference in lengths of concerts... different starting times with different performance curfews are going to result in different numbers of total songs... tough choices for Leonard to make when he clearly loves doing more if given the opportunity.
~ Oscar Wilde
paddieu

New Songs - dropping like flies ?

Post by paddieu »

Is it just my eyesight, or are the number of new songs declining very dramatically
these past 2 shows ? If so, does anyone have any thoughts about this ?

Its got me worried because my main reason for attending is to experience these new songs live -
I've seen many shows of the 'usual' material, and whether to attend Wembley is already a tough
call for me for work and personal reasons.

Thanks !
Mabeanie1

Re: New Songs - dropping like flies ?

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Interesting observation paddieu. We heard 5 songs from Old Ideas tonight in Helsinki. That's half the songs on the album of course:

Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Going Home
Different Sides

Although he sound checked Crazy to Love You most days in Ghent, it left the set after two outings. Banjo looked to have become a regular but didn't make an appearance tonight.

Both Show Me the Place and Anyhow have featured in soundchecks.

Lullaby is the only song which has yet to put in an appearance on the 2012 tour.

I think you can be certain you will hear a number of songs from Old Ideas in the live shows but it wouldn't surprise me if the set list continued to evolve over the coming weeks and months.

Wendy
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

ah thanks its my eyes and brain that deceived me in that it was also old songs played
mostly for the first time this tour, that were in the first set, that I noticed had
disappeared.

cant name them right now but will be able to tell when tonights set is posted

glad you had a good show :)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Wonderful to hear about the Helsinki concert (before all the other reviews). What I think is so refreshing about this tour, in contrast to the last, is how fluid the setlist has become. Old Ideas, yes, but also many much older "ideas" which are delighting and enthralling us! We never know what to expect but would love to forward Leonard a little note before my paltry 2 concerts this time...(please, Leonard, please, play these songs tonight).
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

ladydi wrote:What I think is so refreshing about this tour, in contrast to the last, is how fluid the setlist has become. Old Ideas, yes, but also many much older "ideas" which are delighting and enthralling us! We never know what to expect.
Yes. Partly I think it's because Leonard is still working out which songs work best where in the set and the flow and pace of the show is improving all the time. But also, with the outdoor venues, shows have been varying in length so he has been forced to skip some songs to make his curfew - then maybe add them in again towards the end when he realises he has enough time. There are also some very interesting decisions - Save the Last Dance for Me was perfect for the party atmosphere in steamy Ghent but wouldn't have been at all right for Helsinki IMHO.

As usual though there is a long list of songs which haven't surfaced yet. It's been reported that the band rehearsed 50 songs before the tour started and to date, we've heard something like 38-40 (I haven't counted!) in the shows and "open" soundchecks. that leaves a large group of possible alternate songs which haven't surfaced yet, including Joan of Arc. I asked Jarkko yet if he thought it might put in an appearance but he had no more idea that the rest of us. I can only hope that Leonard might ask him which songs people are asking for .....

Wendy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I had the same impression as Paddieu (and BlizzardofIce) before I saw last night's Helsinki set list. With Going Home dropped from #2 it became the same show as in 2008-10 up until the 6th or 7th song, and then there was 3 or 4 new songs in a row and the first is Banjo (?!). Plus I Can't Forget or Light as the Breeze disappearing from the setlist because Going Home returned but as the 2nd song before intermission (it works better at #2 and we don't have to hear 5 known songs in the usual order but new song comes immediately after Dance Me what was tradition in 1988 and 1993 tours)... I got frightened as well when I saw Gothenburg and Halden setlists which doesn't work for me and are becoming the standard best-of Leonard Cohen show from 2008 or 2009 tours.
I guess that's problems with curfews - but why not to drop the Future (we heard it 246 times in 2008-10)? Or Democracy? I hope the setlist will remain an exciting mix of new old ideas and old new ideas like was in the first week...

{ ps. I merged both topics about the same subject as apparently more than one person got worried....:) }
lizzytysh

Re: Old Ideas Tour fading out? (New songs dropping like flie

Post by lizzytysh »

Light As the Breeze... here's hoping.

If he would choose to go again with A Thousand Kisses Deep,
this woman would be over the moon.
I never liked the laughter that would surface with it [though couldn't deny the humour in the line], but always so much wanted the full recitation to go in total silence.
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

DEAR MR. COHEN,

PLEEEEEZZEE KEEP (in addition to what looks like many regulars);
Different Sides
Light As the Breeze
Night Comes On

AND!!!!
Save the Last Dance For Me

At least for the last show in Paris, last show in Boston, and the London, Ont. concert ;-)

Most Thankful regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
RICHARD ALLEN

Post by RICHARD ALLEN »

Me too for "A thousand Kisses Deep" on Saturday, it would mean a huge amount to me on what will be a very special night.

Please L.C. give myself and a very special woman the chance to hear that track live.
casaperon

Post by casaperon »

I am completely agree with tomsakic. I think it would be better if Mr. Cohen introduces some changes in setlist of the next concerts. There are 22-24 songs which are in all concerts since 2008 and some of them (maybe heart with no compasión, gypsy's wife) could be changed to leave place to others as Field Commander Cohen, passing through, Joan of arc.... In any case, i'm waiting to see Leonard and his band in Madrid and sure any setlist will be wonderful for me!
2009: León|Madrid||2010: Orense||2012: Madrid||2013:Zurich

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”