Setlist wish: Different Sides

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
MattW

Setlist wish: Different Sides

Post by MattW »

Is anybody else a little disappointed that Leonard Cohen seems to have dropped "Different Sides" from the setlist? It's my girlfriend's and my second-favorite song from the new album and we were really hoping to hear it in Berlin. We'll get another chance in Verona later in September, so if anyone with the ability to whisper in Mr. Cohen's ear is reading this... :) (oh, and "Light As The Breeze" would be a dream come true for us as well).

I was very pleased that quite a few new songs from "Old Ideas" were played for the first concerts of the tour, but now the only new songs seem to be "Darkness", "Amen", "Come Healing" and "Going Home". Could be worse, but with such a great new album, do we really have to hear the same songs we've been hearing for the last tours again and again? Don't get me wrong, the Berlin concert was wonderful, I love and cherish each and every song and I'm still amazed that Mr. Cohen perfoms with such intensity and passion for three hours, so I don't want to come across as ungrateful.

All I'm saying is I'd trade in one or two of the other songs for a couple of additional songs for the new record. I know that most concert goers probably only see one show and come for the well-known classics, but they'll still get 23-25 of them with 5 instead of just 4 new songs.

Matt

EDIT: typo
Mabeanie1

Re: Setlist wish: Different Sides

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hi Matt

Don't lose hope! Leonard has sound checked Different Sides twice this week in Dublin so I don't think the song is forgotten. It's just that he has to leave something out where a strict curfew means a shorter show.

Also Light as a Breeze has reappeared - it was performed at the first 2 Dublin shows.

Wendy
Leax

Post by Leax »

He did Different Sides in Dublin tonight and left out Going Home
Kilmainham 2008, Berlin 2008, O2 Dublin 2009, Kilmainham 11th & 14th Sept 2012, 02 Dublin Sept 2013
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

My ideal set list would include ALL 10 songs from Old Ideas. I also hope that Light as the Breeze and Save the Last Dance are still in the set list when he reaches the US (not too long now!). While I love Everybody Knows, The Future, etc., I feel like we've heard them enough in the 2008-2010 shows. I'd replace several songs to make room for songs from Old Ideas (there, I've said it). Of course there are the irreplaceables like Hallelujah and Dance Me. Well, every fan has their own opinion of what songs should always be included - as does Leonard!

I'd give up an entire 3 hour concert for 3 minutes of him singing Memories again. Well, not really. :lol: But oooooh wouldn't it be grand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNvDjWdyeJ8
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Different Sides was again included in the set on Sept 15. We also heard the tour debut of Anyhow (with new lyrics). So yesterday, we had 6 songs from Old Ideas:

Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Different Sides
Going Home
Anyhow

Banjo was played at sound check but was not included in the set.

That's pretty close to hearing all of the songs off Old Ideas I'd say. My only thought is that the introduction of the new songs is rather unbalanced with all but Anyhow coming in the first set. The second set is settling in to a predictable pattern, with most of the set changes coming in the first set and/or encores, which is a great shame IMHO.

Wendy
holydove

Post by holydove »

mnkyface wrote:My ideal set list would include ALL 10 songs from Old Ideas.
Me too, mnkyface! I especially can't wait to hear Show Me The Place live! I asked Roscoe when they are going to do that song, & he said, "I don't know. We've rehearsed it & soundchecked it, but. . ." & I said, "I can't wait to hear that one live", & he said, "I can't wait to hear it either!" (LOL!) And then Roscoe said, "I'll put in a plug for you for that one". (How sweet of him - he is such a lovely man!). I also truly hope Leonard brings back Crazy To Love You; it disappeared after the first 2 Gent concerts, but he's been doing it in soundchecks, so I guess maybe he wants to change it somehow. . .(though I thought it was wonderful as it was, & I just hope it will come back to the setlist & stay there!). Lullaby is the only Old Ideas song that has not shown up anywhere yet, so I am hereby putting in a plug for that one too!
MattW

Post by MattW »

Well, didn't happen in Verona either :(

Life goes on. There's always hope for an official live recording of "Different Sides" down the road. Maybe an iTunes Live EP to shorten the wait?

I'm a bit jealous of all the folks who got to hear one of the best new Cohen songs live on this tour. Lucky you.
Tonyo

Post by Tonyo »

Yes, I agree. We want to listen this song in Barcelona next week.
casaperon

Post by casaperon »

Next friday i will be in Madrid concert and i would like to hear different sides, for me the best song with amen of old ideas lp. I wonder why it only have been played very few times during last concerts. I hope too to other songs leonard have been checking last weeks, specially field Commander Cohen. :)
2009: León|Madrid||2010: Orense||2012: Madrid||2013:Zurich

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”