In Amen trumpet replaced by a guitar.

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
gbt

In Amen trumpet replaced by a guitar.

Post by gbt »

I love this song Amen :( . But I am sad to see that Dino Soldo´s trumpet after minute 3:42 is replaced by a guitar. WHY? It was one of the best brass solos I ever heard. Please, Leonard, bring it back!!! I am going to see you in Lisbon on October 7.
sturgess66

Re: In Amen Dino Soldo's trumpet replaced by a guitar.

Post by sturgess66 »

gbt - I don't think that is Dino.
Until recently - I had actually thought it was Neil Larsen - I had read that somewhere :shock:
And was hoping that Neil had packed his cornet :roll:

But - I believe that is incorrect - it isn't Neil.

There is some discussion here -
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31408&start=15#p296662

And maybe by now - there is a definitive answer
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

But anyhow trumpet or cornet are better than guitar, the only disapppointment in an unforgettable and yes even better than ever show...
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just so everyone knows who did what and how -
Old Ideas - who did what and how.jpg
If needed, click to enlarge to read.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
gbt

Post by gbt »

Thanks B4real.
It seems the trumpet is synthed, not a real instrument, so it can´t be played live. What a disappointment!
And I had some romantic times with my girlfriend fantasizing over that lovely sound! It is beautiful all the same.
It starts subtle creates tension until it resolves in the end (very sensual in my view).
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I love this song Amen . But I am sad to see that Dino Soldo´s trumpet after minute 3:42 is replaced by a guitar. WHY? It was one of the best brass solos I ever heard. Please, Leonard, bring it back!!! I am going to see you in Lisbon on October 7.
Shouldn't we just be happy that the song is being performed on the tour? Or maybe we should just be happy that Leonard, at nearly 78, is touring at all.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Yes - thanks B4real - but unless I am missing it - there is no specific mention of that long cornet solo in "Amen."

There is, however, mention that Neil Larsen played cornet in "Banjo."
So maybe I can still wish that Neil has packed his cornet. :)
Would be fun to see him playing yet another instrument

I love the cornet on the album (love everything on the album) -
but actually have gotten quite used to the tour arrangement -
And am loving all the arrangements - and staging - i.e., Democracy arrangement, staging in The Partisan, and arrangements and staging in other songs
Everything :)

ETA - editing to add - Marie - yes - I am extremely grateful that Leonard is touring again. Extremely. :D
And I'm also appreciative for the video that people have uploaded to YouTube.
And looking forward to seeing Leonard and the band LIVE when they come back to the USA/

And forever hope that Leonard and the band might come back to Philadelphia - and that Leonard will sing Lullaby - if it be his will.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Speaking of staging songs on this tour. I think 'The Partisan' is really beautifully done. Ryan Patrick Murphy has done a wonderful job with the lighting on this song. It is like looking at an early American Masters Painting with the smoky background and coloring. Perfection.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

MarieM wrote:Shouldn't we just be happy that the song is being performed on the tour? Or maybe we should just be happy that Leonard, at nearly 78, is touring at all.
Just the right words, as usual, Marie.

Whatever the instrumentation, Amen & the other songs from Old Ideas really come alive in the tour set. Leonard & Roscoe have done a fine job with the arrangements. My husband is not keen on the album but he did enjoy hearing the songs in Ghent.

I confess I would like to see Neil play the cornet - but I'm not going to be picky as he is playing some incredible piano solos. Wonderful stuff.

Wendy
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

:neutral:
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Amen sounds better live than on album... Mitch Watkins guitar solo is one of the best moments of the show.

And imagine, instead of using Dino's trumpet during album's sessions, Leonard programmed the sound of trumpet himself in the ProTools... Can you imagine why? He has as some claim the great sax and trumpet player around and then he is programming it by himself. I do have my thoughts...

I guess everybody's praise of trumpet in the studio version of Amen is a praise for Leonard, who - by the way - programmed saxophone as well, in 2004 for Dear Heather's track "Undertow". Clean and straight, as it should be done.
sturgess66

Re: In Amen trumpet replaced by a guitar.

Post by sturgess66 »

Rolling Stone Interview
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20120130

Exclusive Q&A: Leonard Cohen on New Tour, 'Old Ideas'
'Touring is like taking the first step on a walk to China'

By Andy Greene
January 30, 2012 2:40 PM ET

How long did it take you to record the whole thing?

Well, we came off the tour and we didn't do very much for a little while. Then I bumped into Pat Leonard. I was listening to my son's record, which I thought was very beautiful, and Pat had done some lovely work on that, especially some string parts that he'd written. And I thought I'd ask him to do some string parts on some other songs of mine. That didn't work out, but we started to write together, and then it went kind of swiftly.

We recorded it in my backyard. I have a little studio over my garage – Pro Tools – and Ed Sanders, who is my engineer, he has a lovely little studio. So we were in very small studios, with Pro Tools. But we ran it rough analog, which is where you get warm sound. It didn't take much more than a year to record, working off and on.

Your touring band plays on it?

They're playing on one track, but mostly it's just Pat and I. I'm playing guitar by myself on "Crazy to Love You." I'm playing all the parts on "Amen," except for Sharon Robinson playing a synth bass and live strings, and I'm playing the synth on "Different Sides" with Neil Larsen playing on top of it. So I played a lot myself, and Pat played a lot himself.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”