HOP FARM SHOWS TO WEMBLEY ARENA

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
John Etherington

Re: URGENT: HOP FARM SHOWS TO WEMBLEY ARENA

Post by John Etherington »

Wendy - I've checked Google, and all I can establish from it is that Leonard changed venues (without any official explanation) and that Vince Power seemed to have some financial problems due to not being able to book certain names for the earlier Hop Farm event. However, things still don't seem to fully add-up, even though I think that Wembley is a better venue for the concerts. There was a fairly large add for LC at Wembley in the Evening Standard today, which suggests the need to sell more tickets.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

I'm so looking forward to Wembley; the first proper indoor show of the tour so far :D
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

LHHUNTER wrote:I'm so looking forward to Wembley; the first proper indoor show of the tour so far :D
Me too, but seems the weather would have been ideal for an open air concert this weekend.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

lightasabreeze wrote: Me too, but seems the weather would have been ideal for an open air concert this weekend.
Ah, there's a delicious irony here. Agree, would have been perfect in this "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness".

Still, Wembley will be wondrous and electric in equal measure.
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
bean

Post by bean »

Very excited now as the date draws near :D
mjteacup

Post by mjteacup »

Hi all,
I just received this email and while it won't really affect me, it might be useful to know for those of you who booked tickets through other sources or need to make plans for travel/meet-ups:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your ticket purchase at EVENTIM UK for the following event:
LEONARD COHEN in LONDON, Wembley Arena, 08.09.2012 18:30
These tickets were sold by EVENTIM UK on behalf of the Event Promoter.
The Event Promoter has informed us of the following change to your event:.
Please note that Leonard Cohen is due on stage directly at 7.30pm and that there will be no support act. If attending by car, please be aware that Engineers Way will be closed between Empire Way and Rutherford Way. There are two diversion routes around the road closure, either via Fulton Road and Rutherford Way; or along South Way and First Way. We hope you enjoy the show!

Yours sincerely,
EVENTIM UK Ltd.
disapointed

Post by disapointed »

Total scam! I asked Lastminute.com for a refund as I can't get to Wembley on Saturday. Today I received the tickets for one of the worst £85 blocks - S13 - As of 9pm Wednesday, there are still better tickets than this to be bought from the offical website - I think they are dumpring worst tickets they can't sell on people who bought Hop Farm tickets.
disapointed

Post by disapointed »

Possible reason for move from Hop Farm - This news probably made LC management nervous

Tuesday August 7th, 2012 12:35
Music Festivals plc confirms loss likely for 2012
Vince Power’s publicly listed music festivals company, Music Festivals plc, has told its shareholders that the company expects to make a loss this year, in no small part because of disappointing ticket sales for this year’s Hop Farm Festival, which made a loss overall. In a statement to investors, Music Festivals plc said that its other flagship event, Benicassim, was profitable this year, but at a lower level than 2011.
The statement reads: “The Group’s two main festivals were held in July 2012 and as set out in the announcement dated 3 Jul 2012, tickets sales at that date led the Directors to believe that the Group’s financial results for the year ending 31 Dec 2012 would be significantly lower than market expectations”.
“The Group was particularly impacted by weaker than expected ticket sales at Hop Farm Music Festival which was loss-making. The Benicassim festival continued to be profitable but at a much lower level than 2011. As a result, the Group currently expects to report a material loss for the year ending 31 Dec 2012 and is exploring ways of raising additional working capital”.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

Interesting, If this is the reason for the switch of venues then I hope Vince Powers goes after AEG for all the financial compensation he rightly deserves for the cancellation at Hop Farm.
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER »

Having seen pics of the other venues so far Wembley is by far the best. I was at Copenhagen, great show but no seating as AEG/promotor wanted to pack in as many folks as possible to maximise profit. To get a good spot you had to be there early, typically 1-2 hours before showtime. This means that you are standing on the same spot for 5-6 hours in total which is not comfortable for everyone - some older people left. Also if you moved at the interval you risked losing your spot.
Furthermore the atmosphere outdoors is not so good as the first set is performed in daylight and so the stage lighting has no effect whatsoever. Sound quality is also generally better indoors.
Wembley will be better and more comfortable, I'm sure ;-)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Wembley is by no means my favourite venue, with the trek from Wembley Park Station to the arena (and first-timers - note that it's the arena, NOT the Stadium). However, I saw Bob Dylan there, a few years ago, and they have improved the surrounding area and the intererior area where the loos, bars, and (junk) food stands are.
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

A pilgrimage to Wembley arena
should I bring along my concertina?
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

If anyone is still looking for tickets to see Len at Wem at the weekend (Sunday gig), then
this flashed up on my screen earlier (via FB)

‎"2 people have dropped out from my party so now have 2 spares in A3, 10 rows from the stage. Great seats. Face value £100 a ticket (£95 + fee). Contact me if interested..."

You can find this under the post for the 24th August (left hand side of page)

Best,
Alexis
(Oscar Wilde)
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

I have mixed emotions as the time of the concert nears.

Of course my heart is singing with the anticipation of Leonard touching it, but at the same time I am saddened that we will not be experiencing the wonder of Leonard under the light of the stars, with a warm breeze and a chorus of crickets accompanying the poetry on stage.

A real shame. The last chance to see Leonard perform outdoors has slipped away for me I fear
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

songwriter wrote:I have mixed emotions as the time of the concert nears.

Of course my heart is singing with the anticipation of Leonard touching it, but at the same time I am saddened that we will not be experiencing the wonder of Leonard under the light of the stars, with a warm breeze and a chorus of crickets accompanying the poetry on stage.

A real shame. The last chance to see Leonard perform outdoors has slipped away for me I fear

I sort of feel that way. When it was first announced The Hop Farm I thought , Oh No, another wet evening like Weybridge.
But now it seems the weather is going to be perfect, and an afternoon and evening outside seems more attractive.
But I like The Arena and it is much better than if they had decided on the 02, which I would have hated.

- Just a couple of days now -
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”