Curfews

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Boro

Re: Curfews

Post by Boro »

Does anybody know if there is going to exist Curfew limit in Bergen concert?

Thanks in advance
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

jarkko wrote:In Helsinki the curfew will be 11 pm. That's why the concert begins at 7 pm.
I hope this will apply also to Dublin and other venues where the curfew is 11 pm.

Who decides when a concert starts - the venue, the local promoter or LC management?
You know what time the Helsinki concert will begin, Jarkko, but several posts asking about the starting time of other concerts have remained unanswered because nobody knows!
Odd - this is pretty basic information. Are they hoping people will come earlier to the venues and spend more money there or what? :?

Presumably too it is "somebody's" duty to liaise with local promoters and find out if there is a curfew, so it shouldn't come as a nasty surprise as in Amsterdam.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
Who decides when a concert starts - the venue, the local promoter or LC management?
the "usual" process is a negotiation between the local promoter and the tour management.... although sometimes it will be stipulated in the contract. I would hope the local promoter would be aware of (a) curfew time and (b) the length of the show.... none of this should come as a surprise... 8)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

last night’s curfew was in place at the running request of local residents, who are not fans of late-night music, and understandably so. But, last night, there were calls to the mayor, or city, or council, or whoever has their finger on the mystery-button, asking for the music to be turned up! So tonight, we have a fifteen minute extension on the curfew. Thanks residents.

(...)

A reader could be forgiven, thinking that someone like LC could simply play on past a curfew and get away with it. So often, musicians and artists believe so strongly in themselves, they act as if the rules and guidelines don’t apply to them. By way of my witness, Chris, technician of bass and lots of other things, I’m told that Leonard simply wants, ‘to be invited back.’ That’s a little way of making a big difference — humility grants you the extra 15 minutes; arrogance steals it.
Source: no ideas - the only Leonard Cohen backstage blog. Written by guitar technician, LB. http://dragonhelm.tumblr.com/
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

I read and enjoy Leif's backstage blog, (and due credit to LC, being the professional he is, for being able to extract some humour from the situation in Amsterdam!) but quoting from it does nothing to address the original question posed by Paul Zagreb:
Paul Zagreb wrote: The question, then, if curfew times are known in advance, why not start concerts earlier?
Paul
As simple as that.

( And preferably tell Ticketmaster etc. the agreed starting time so that they can tell the punters who pay for the tickets! )
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Wan

Post by Wan »

Hello everybody, I already got a ticket of Pairs' show months ago.
Now I'm considering since I'll travel within Europe, maybe I can go for one more concert in Lisbon.
But I just noticed on the blueticket's website, it says "show length: 120 minutes".
I've never been to LC's concert before, don't know it's just saying on the website or it'll be true. :roll:
Also I noticed the concerts in Spain and Portugal all start late at 9pm, wondering curfew times in those cities :?:
would be grateful if anybody has any ideas! thx!
NEW_IDEAS

Post by NEW_IDEAS »

A Cohen show is better when it´s dark (and seated). So I´d actually hoped for concerts in concerts halls instead of the outdoor shows. As Jarkko wrote, the weather here in Scandinavia can vary alot (well, for many more countries). A 3-4 hour show in heavy rain ain´t exactly very funny (unless, of course, if you´re wearing a Famous Blue Raincoat... :D )
And of course Leonard will tour again, so let´s hope for inside shows and let them start earlier so there won´t be any problems with the people catching buses and trains!
L.C. - Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Copenhagen 2008. Malmö 2010. Copenhagen, Gothenburg 2012. ????????? 2026 :=)
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Wan wrote:Hello everybody, I already got a ticket of Pairs' show months ago.
Now I'm considering since I'll travel within Europe, maybe I can go for one more concert in Lisbon.
But I just noticed on the blueticket's website, it says "show length: 120 minutes".
I've never been to LC's concert before, don't know it's just saying on the website or it'll be true. :roll:
Also I noticed the concerts in Spain and Portugal all start late at 9pm, wondering curfew times in those cities :?:
I remember the 75th birthday concert in Barcelona 2009 started at 9pm and finished at 12.45 am . Don't know whether that was a curfew or just when they decided to end .It was very great but made for some transport difficulties as the 10000 plus people left the venue .
If there are no curfews in spain and leonard continues to want to play long concerts could be a marathon .
Perhaps our local spanish friends can clarify
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Wan

Post by Wan »

cohenadmirer wrote:
Wan wrote:Hello everybody, I already got a ticket of Pairs' show months ago.
I remember the 75th birthday concert in Barcelona 2009 started at 9pm and finished at 12.45 am . Don't know whether that was a curfew or just when they decided to end .It was very great but made for some transport difficulties as the 10000 plus people left the venue .
If there are no curfews in spain and leonard continues to want to play long concerts could be a marathon .
Perhaps our local spanish friends can clarify
Thanks for your information! 9pm is a bit late for a marathon concert though
Hope I can still find cheap flights to Lisbon at this time :P
twickmag

Post by twickmag »

Wembley

Customer service at Live Nation have indicated that the curfew for the Saturday concert is 2300.
The ticket says: Doors 6pm-Show 7.30pm
2008 London O2
2009 Weybridge
2010 Zagreb, Las Vegas
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

twickmag wrote:Wembley

Customer service at Live Nation have indicated that the curfew for the Saturday concert is 2300.
Why have they a curfew at an indoor concert? Surely it could start and finish whenever Leonard wishes?
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

musicmania wrote:

Why have they a curfew at an indoor concert? Surely it could start and finish whenever Leonard wishes?
Sometimes legal (licensing) reasons; sometimes to do with the time the staff are contracted to work until - they have to get home after the show as well.

I am not remotely surprised that the Wembley shows will finish at 11.00 pm. That's the norm rather than the exception for an indoor arena and it's really quite naive to think that the concerts can start and finish whenever Leonard wants. I think we'll be very lucky if we see any more shows as long as the openers in Ghent but 7.30 - 11.00 pm will still give us 3 solid hours of music. That's much more than most concerts.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
musicmania wrote:

Sometimes legal (licensing) reasons; sometimes to do with the time the staff are contracted to work until - they have to get home after the show as well.

I am not remotely surprised that the Wembley shows will finish at 11.00 pm. That's the norm rather than the exception for an indoor arena and it's really quite naive to think that the concerts can start and finish whenever Leonard wants. I think we'll be very lucky if we see any more shows as long as the openers in Ghent but 7.30 - 11.00 pm will still give us 3 solid hours of music. That's much more than most concerts.

Wendy
Well all I know is for The O2 in Dublin concerts start and finish at the times requested by the artist in question. Some concerts I've attended there have finished well after midnight and some well before. I'm not suggesting or expecting Leonard to play concerts as long as they were in Ghent but surely he would have an input into starting and finishing time of his gigs indoors within the venue guidelines and legal guideline of course.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

musicmania wrote:Well all I know is for The O2 in Dublin concerts start and finish at the times requested by the artist in question. Some concerts I've attended there have finished well after midnight and some well before. I'm not suggesting or expecting Leonard to play concerts as long as they were in Ghent but surely he would have an input into starting and finishing time of his gigs indoors within the venue guidelines and legal guideline of course.
Probably licensing laws are different in Dublin? But I think you provided your own answer Gwen when you said within venue and legal guidelines.

W
James T

Post by James T »

I have never known a concert go past 11pm Indoor in the UK, and the only outdoor ones would be huge festival shows. Going past 11 on a Sunday in Wembley would be a nightmare for most of the attendees. People gotta get home!

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”