Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
jim devlin

Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Post by jim devlin »

just to put your mind at rest - intro to ANCFL played by electric guitar in all 3 London RAH concerts in 1988.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

So Bob Metzger then.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
xbgedx

Post by xbgedx »

Just saw the Detroit show from front row center orchestra pit (I won the Red Arrow Auction) and while STILL an awesome show I was VERY disappointed Dino was not there!! He was such an integral part of the tour a couple years back that many of the songs WERE missing his distinct sound! I love Cohen, but not to include Dino on this tour is a huge part missing!
casterbridgecohen

Post by casterbridgecohen »

I attended 26 of the 2008 -10 concerts and have just attended the two Montreal and Quebec concerts - the first of the current incarnation.

Like the last post I initially thought something was missing both energywise and musically - it is Leonard's music and Leonard's choice but I thought that whetever one thought of Dino's showmanship - and I had no problem with it - his sax added something to many of Leonard's songs and a lot to the concert experience.

My wife had a similar feeling - and we dont agree on much!

However without a shadow of doubt the arrangements featuring the violin also added something (different) - notably in Suzanne. And after three concerts we did not miss Dino quite so much.

Our conclusion was some songs were better with the sax, others better with the violin so the obvious (?) conclusion is to get a bigger red carpet for the group and have both!

I missed the forum for a couple of months when I was in Russia and China - was there ever a definitive conclusion as to whether Dino was dropped for artistic or other reasons? I have not got the time to wade through 16 pages of posts!
1970 IOW 2008 Dublin - Manchester - Glastonbury - Berlin - Cardiff - Bournemouth 2009 Vancouver - Victoria - Koln - Nimes - Bratislava - Budapest - Barcelona - L Vegas - San Jose 2010 Salzburg - Basel - Strasbourg - Lille - Victoria - Vancouver - L Vegas(2) 2012 Montreal - Quebec - NYC 2013 London - Amsterdam
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Do we think Dino will join the band for the 2013 summer concerts?

It is my sincere hope that he never performs with the band again. I feel the music is greatly enhcanced by his absence.

sincerly yours
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Songwriter,

Are all your posts so negative - you don't like the Webb Sisters singing on their own and now I see you don't like Dino either! Would you have Leonard standing alone on the stage with his guitar for 4 hours? Don't you appreciate that these people complement Leonard's performance?
gaby&paul

Post by gaby&paul »

It is our sincere hope that Dino will perform with the band in 2013. (Although, after listening to the great "Long Quiet Weekend" carefully, we doubt he will.)

Anyway, Dino, we wish you a peaceful Christmas and a really happy New Year. And thanks again for so many magic moments during the 2008-2010-tour.

Gaby & Paul
2008: Munich, Frankfurt, London RAH. 2009: Minneapolis, Chicago (2x), Cologne, Madrid. 2010: Wiesbaden, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Las Vegas. 2012: Ghent, Paris. 2013: Vienna.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I would give up any hopes of that happening.

Whilst mentioning other artists, Soldo doesn't even give any credit to Leonard Cohen on his own website history page, seems a little strange wouldn't you think? He also goes on to describe how he likes to be an entertainer and how he learned to react with an audience, anyone who has come to know LC would know a little of that is OK (cartwheels for the girls for instance) but trying to turn a LC gig into a Bruce Springsteen (great gigs), or a Lionel Ritchie gig (yes we know, he is on tour with said man) is just not in the style of Leonard Cohen.

http://www.dinosoldo.com/dinosoldo.com/history.html

And why would you wish greetings to Dino Soldo on a Forum that has nothing to do with him? I find that bizarre and somewhat disingenuous to L.C to be honest.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

That is the strangest thing Vicomte. After looking at Dino's website, not to have seen any mention of his time with L.C. I must admit I had been hoping to see him back with the band in the future. I cannot imagine Alexander B. staying too long with the group. I love his violin but do not see him being satisfied to be part of a band and not a 'star'. I hope I am wrong as he is great, but so was Dino.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

To be fair, Dino's History page on dinosoldo.com hasn't been updated since about 2007 (before LC started touring). That website as a whole has never been the most current of his sites. His Facebook page mentions LC - both in his profile blurb (Master of Breath quote) and in his most recent posting to fans in which he includes wishes for Old Ideas receiving a Grammy nomination. (which didn't happen ...grrrrr...but that's another post for another section of this forum!)
https://www.facebook.com/DinoSoldo

gaby&paul - you have intrigued me with your comment about Long Quiet Weekend. I guess I haven't listened to it "carefully" enough. :lol: How did it give you insight into the possibility of Dino touring/not touring with Leonard again?
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by songwriter »

HelenD wrote:Songwriter,

Are all your posts so negative - you don't like the Webb Sisters singing on their own and now I see you don't like Dino either! Would you have Leonard standing alone on the stage with his guitar for 4 hours? Don't you appreciate that these people complement Leonard's performance?

Helen

I love every single member of the band, and they bring a rich and beautiful sound to proceedings.

However, I much prefer the sound with Alex rather than Dino, and as such hope Dino never performs with leonard again.

I love the webbs with my whole heart, but wish leonard would sing with them. These are not negative points!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

No they are not songwriter, although I kind of disagree about the Webb Sisters, even though several of us have seen other earlier backing singers who some of us might prefer (me included) they don't take up much time with their own "solos"and to miss Sharon singing "Alexandra Leaving" would be just plain awful, it is a masterpiece. Yes LC quoting/singing "If it be they will" as he used to, is excellent of course and it would be nice if he took that song back on occasion, preferably when I am lucky enough to be present ;-) As for Dino, my thoughts on him not being in the line up are well documented on here, so agree with you on that score.
Neil from The Young Ones
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

songwriter wrote:
HelenD wrote:Songwriter,

Helen

I love every single member of the band, and they bring a rich and beautiful sound to proceedings.

However, I much prefer the sound with Alex rather than Dino, and as such hope Dino never performs with leonard again.

I love the webbs with my whole heart, but wish leonard would sing with them. These are not negative points!
I suspect you are maybe talking specifically about "If It Be Your Will" ?
But Leonard does sing with them - i.e. - with Hattie in "Take This Waltz"
Charley - in "Waiting For the Miracle"
And - well - other songs ...
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Vicomte wrote:No they are not songwriter, although I kind of disagree about the Webb Sisters, even though several of us have seen other earlier backing singers who some of us might prefer (me included) they don't take up much time with their own "solos"and to miss Sharon singing "Alexandra Leaving" would be just plain awful, it is a masterpiece. Yes LC quoting/singing "If it be they will" as he used to, is excellent of course and it would be nice if he took that song back on occasion, preferably when I am lucky enough to be present ;-) As for Dino, my thoughts on him not being in the line up are well documented on here, so agree with you on that score.

indeed vicomte. I am an older gentleman and have been lucky enough to see leonard and his band in several different forms. I dont think it would be fair to compare the webbs to perla and julie for example, as perla and julie were clearly allowed much more freedom of expression on stage. That being said, I do think perla and julie could never be bettered (though I do know several people who couldnt stand their antics!).

As for sharon singing alexandra leaving that is indeed wonderful. But sharon singing a solo I can understand given her long and illustrious links with leonard, and particularly that song. I just dont really understand the link between the webbs and if it be your will (and coming back to you) for them to get the honor of performing it solo night after night. But it is not a big problem for me and has been discussed in depth in another thread elsewhere on the forum
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

songwriter wrote:
indeed vicomte. I am an older gentleman and have been lucky enough to see leonard and his band in several different forms. I dont think it would be fair to compare the webbs to perla and julie for example, as perla and julie were clearly allowed much more freedom of expression on stage. That being said, I do think perla and julie could never be bettered *(though I do know several people who couldnt stand their antics!).
Goodness me songwriter, name, names and we'll have them certified. I can recall the playfulness and the jokes where Leonard joined in, indeed I think it was he that started the "antics" most of the time ;-)

No, like you, even the "incomparable" Sharon and the superb Jennifer were beaten on points by Julia & Perla (in my opinion of course)

*My bold put in.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”