Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
TineDoes

Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Post by TineDoes »

mirka wrote:
martali wrote:Maybe someone will enjoy the new Dino Soldo's album while he isn't in the tour band.
http://dinosoldo.bandcamp.com/

Dino sings about being "stabbed in the back" and being hurt, not good:
http://dinosoldo.bandcamp.com/track/arrows

Lyrics to the remaining songs aren't happy either.
What a sad end...
What End? Yes these songs are sad, but very very lovely, delicate and honest and may never have been written..... Is'nt Dino wonderful to take this turn of events and using his musicianship, creativity and drive make these songs? This is a totally different side of Dino than we saw during the concert. I wish him all the very best.
"There was a crack, and this is the light that got in". :)
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
martali

Post by martali »

TineDoes wrote: Yes these songs are sad, but very very lovely, delicate and honest and may never have been written..... Is'nt Dino wonderful to take this turn of events and using his musicianship, creativity and drive make these songs? This is a totally different side of Dino than we saw during the concert. I wish him all the very best.
Thank you TineDoe :)

My feelings are exactly the same.
I like the all "Long, Quiet Weekend" album very much indeed and also wish Dino Soldo all the best with all my heart :!:

Marta
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I miss Dino very much. He is so multi-talented and was such a personality on the 2008-2010 tour. I love the addition of the violin for certain songs that really calls for it. Surely there is room for both wind and violin.

Dino is still listed 'on standby' in the L.C. Files. :?

We can but hope.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
holydove

Post by holydove »

MaryB wrote: At intermission, I made the comment that when Alex was not playing, he seemed bored. It was wonderfully explained to me, that being the serious musician that he is, he may come across that way. I took this to heart and paid even more attention to his piercingly, aching, and beautiful sound. Then I paid attention to his 'silent' moments and it saddens me to say that those times were spent looking out into the audience, tapping his bow on his monitor, and adjusting/picking lint off his clothes. He did not seem to be involved with the beauty of the sound or the words that were transpiring on stage.
Glenn Gould, who is considered by many to be the most brilliant pianist that ever lived, has told about a time when he played with a symphony orchestra, & during an interlude when he was not playing, became absorbed with picking dog hairs off his suit. (This was also written about in a newspaper the next day, where he received rave reviews for his brilliant performance). The fact that he was picking dog hairs off his suit clearly did not mean he was not "involved" with the music, & obviously did not decrease the quality of his playing one bit. I used to play with a baroque/renaissance ensemble, & we often found ourselves doing a variety of odd things during interludes when we weren't playing. It did not mean we weren't involved with the music. Maybe it's something peculiar to the world of classical music, because the idea there is not to put on a show with one's physical demeanor/movements/gestures/etc.; it's assumed that people are at a concert to hear the music, & what a musician does when he/she is not playing, is not taken to have any significance at all, & I believe that is the world that Alex comes from. Conversely, just because someone is jumping around, that doesn't necessarily mean that he/she is more involved with the music. I would be very wary of judging a musician's involvement with the music, based on what he/she does when he/she is not playing. Does the fact that you are sitting still in your seat, at any given moment, mean that you are bored with what's transpiring on stage?

Editing: I just remembered a video I've seen, from the previous tour, where Hattie was eating & drinking something, at a moment when she was not singing. Do you think this means she was bored with the music?
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Good post holydove and one I agree totally with. What was Alex meant to do between him playing or not?

It's quite bizarre to think he should be smiling like a lunatic so that others will not think he is enjoying himself any less than Dino Soldo, who incidentally I am now led to believe is being some what critical about past happenings?

Who knows, at this rate we will have a poll put on as who should we see play; Dino Soldo, or Leonard Cohen because that is the way it seems to be going. I enjoy Leonard for Leonard's words and music, I prefer a violinist but if it was just Leonard, the girls and some other instrument players, then I for one would still attend a concert. There has been change throughout his touring days and I have yet to walk out of one and say if so and so is not on the next tour I won't be going..........but yes, I have preferences but none of them are obligatory to my attending a Leonard Cohen gig.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Vicomte, I don't recall anyone saying they would not attend Leonard's concerts if Dino or whoever was not
In the band. People seem to be expressing, myself included, their opinions about the overall feeling of the
Current shows. I for one preferred the atmosphere of the last shows. I liked the energy on stage and the
Cohesiveness of the band.

Maybe Dino did do too much "jumping around" and was at times distracting but he was definitely involved with
With the music and when not playing one could see he felt the music. He was not picking something off his
Clothes which is something I also saw Alex do in Verona. And I think your comment that would we want him
Sitting there smiling like a lunatic was unnecessary. But I don't want to see someone one stage who appears
Distracted and yes at times bored.

And referring to the cohesiveness of the band I am a bit put off by Mike Scoobie suddenly appearing like an
Apparition out of nowhere and playing the harmonica or Charlie picking up the clarinet for a few notes
Which I never I heard anyway. Both of these thing to me are not necessary and if it was felt that these
Instruments were needed then keep Dino in band. Earlier tours have included both the violin and horns.

And Vicomte of course you are correct in saying that we go to these show to see and hear Leonard and not
Individuals in the band. But band members do contribute to the overall feel of the band. Everyone here has a
Right to respectfully express their opinion and I feel people from both camps have very valid things to say about
These new shows.

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

friscogrl wrote:Vicomte, I don't recall anyone saying they would not attend Leonard's concerts if Dino or whoever was not
In the band.
Well there's a coincidence then, I don't recall saying that people would, or wouldn't go if Dino, or whoever played, I spoke only of myself that would attend. Please read what I write, not what you think I have written, thank you.
And Vicomte of course you are correct in saying that we go to these show to see and hear Leonard and not
Individuals in the band. But band members do contribute to the overall feel of the band. Everyone here has a
Right to respectfully express their opinion and I feel people from both camps have very valid things to say about
These new shows.
Well Marsha if you care to read my posts, you will find I am a great believer in people being allowed to offer their own opinions, indeed on this very thread (or the spin off from this thread) I stated that very fact, which of course means myself as well as others.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Vicomete you implied that people may make a choice if a poll was taken Dino vs Leonard.
Also I did not say that you didn't respect the rights of others to voice their opinions. I indeed do know
That you have made this statement more than once.

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mirka

Post by mirka »

TineDoes wrote: What End? Yes these songs are sad, but very very lovely, delicate and honest and may never have been written.....

Sad end to a Fairy Tale "A perfect Band in a perfect Harmony". I feel for Dino, something must have happened during rehearsals that really hurt him, this is what I hear/read in his songs.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
TonVH

Post by TonVH »

friscogrl wrote:Vicomete you implied that people may make a choice if a poll was taken Dino vs Leonard.
Also I did not say that you didn't respect the rights of others to voice their opinions. I indeed do know
That you have made this statement more than once.
M
In my opinion the idea of a poll Dino versus Leonard is completely absurd.

If people find the music without Dino not good anymore then they have the logical option to (1) not go to any Leonard concert and (2) go to Dino concert.

The tour and concert are called "Leonard Cohen" and not "Leonard and Band" or certainly not "Dino and leonard". With the exception of a few everybody loved the concerts. The present group is just as "A perfect Band in a perfect Harmony" as the group used to be.

Besides it is Leonard choice who he takes on a tour. And he takes those that he thinks are the best.

One last point: all those preferring Dino are guessing on the "why no Dino". What's the importance of all this guessing? Dino is not on the tour and probably will not be on the remainder. Maybe on the next tour, maybe not on the next tour.

And remember: The concert is called "Leonard Cohen" and all the others are part of the troupe with each his/hers special capability.
mutti

Post by mutti »

I really loved Dino when he was in the band
and from what I can see on the you tubes I am loving the addition of Alex B. Soon I get to see him live.

The point to me is I am there to see and hear Leonard sing and weave his magic with the band of his choice.
This is a forum so everyone's opinions are welcome in my opinion, but I have to say this to all of you -

People start appreciating Leonard now in this moment because anything can happen and change
and he could be gone tomorrow or decide to stop the tour at anytime.

Leslie PY 8)
Last edited by mutti on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

friscogrl wrote
Vicomete you implied that people may make a choice if a poll was taken Dino vs Leonard.
What I posted was :

Who knows, at this rate we will have a poll put on as who should we see play; Dino Soldo, or Leonard Cohen because that is the way it seems to be going

It was in jest, those who thought it was deadly serious, my apologies. Who would vote for Dino over Leonard for goodness sake and who would take it as serious, this is the Leonard Cohen Forum isn't it ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

mutti you are certainly right about our need to appreciate Leonard now. I for one do, as we all do, and cannot imagine a time without him. :(
I think the observations about the choice of wind instruments versus violin are just peoples personal preference as to which of them showcases Leonard's songs to the greatest advantage.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hi Cheshire Girl
Yes I realize and appreciate that its just preference...but at one point I personally got so fed up and wanted to say
" quit your belly aching everyone..."
just be grateful for what we have now.

Cheers
Leslie PY 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Hi mutti,

Your are so right. :lol: :lol:

But don't we do it anyway. :D

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”