is it ok to bring my 7 year old to a Cohen concert

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Andrew (Darby)

Re: is it ok to bring my 7 year old to a Cohen concert

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

I don’t want to sound like a stuffy old prude (because I’m not), but a word of caution from my not so happy experience during the course of running a Cohen event for 16 consecutive years: I was implicitly criticised one year by a man who suggested I should have had a warning to parents about the lyrical content of Cohen (as in lines like “giving me head…” or “give me crack and anal sex”) and their children being exposed to this. However, the latter example has already been toned down by Leonard in concert and I have not seen Chelsea Hotel on any of the set lists so far. ;-)

I could sort of see where he was coming from, as a switched on curious child (of 7 years) may well ask the awkward question, but I was still taken aback at the time! :shock: I think I had made the assumption that Cohenite parents are likely to be able to handle such situations quite appropriately and unflappably, with some degree of deflection, or even frankness, depending on their parenting style etc. However, he was not a Cohenite, but one of the ancillary workers assisting on the night.

Anyway, I thought I should just flag this, as nobody here has mentioned it and it may well be a decision making consideration for some parents, though I’m not categorically saying it need be a "problem". For parents, it may just simply be the case of having a contingency spiel in readiness, if they are ultimately undaunted by the prospect of such a circumstance arising and still desirous of their children enjoying Leonard in whatever way they do. I'm also cognizant of the fact that, for many Cohenite parents, they may have already "crossed this bridge" with their more perceptive inquisitive children, this having perhaps occurred pre-emptively in the family home. ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Interesting points, Andrew. I've got in the habit of distracting my kids with a spurious question whenever the relevant lines are about to be heard! When one of them printed out the lyrics to "The Future" and stuck it on her bedroom wall under a photo of Leonard, I was a little concerned in case her mates saw it and asked for clarification as to those lines from their own parents on returning home! To my mind it's a question of balance really - Leonard's use of language is such a wonderful thing that I'm happy to share that and take the risk with the very few lyrics that may be considered "unsuitable". In any case, they grow up so darned fast that, for better or worse, it's not an issue for long. We are so lightly here ...
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

Just as a follow up to the discussion I'll try and highlight how bringing my 12 year to the concert in Dublin went.
It was her first ever concert and unfortunately our tickets were for row DD in the central block. She had real difficulty seeing around a tall gentleman in front and we had to do lots of shuffling around.
The toilet queque was crazy and we stood for the entire interval to get to the toilets. In these enlightened anti smoking days i'd forgotten how it is to be around large groups of people smoking and being asthmatic she really struggled with it and is on her inhalers today.
It was a great experience overall and the people watching was nearly as interesting as watching Leonard. The friendliness of the crowd really impressed her and it's a bit sad for me that she reflected on how complete strangers don't usually strike up lengthy conversations with you. I should have had snacks with me as it wasn't possible to get to the loos and get food.
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Interesting point re the loos: At Wembley, I had a text from my 11 year old while she and her younger sister were queuing for the ladies' loo, saying "Lady trying to queue barge - we are standing our ground!". It was a total zoo. But a small price to pay. Very glad your youngster enjoyed it on balance.
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

There was a child in the row behind us the other night. He seemed to be doing ok,probably a little cold and he looked a bit bored at some points but because it's an outdoor concert and its a bit louder and more relaxed than an indoor one I'd say the 7 year old will be grand! enjoy!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

Hi
Well he really enjoyed the concert last night, we probably got their a bit to early so he was a bit restless until Cohen went on stage. He got tired towards the end of the first section. We stayed until before take this waltz. The killer in the end was the cold. So he got to see most of it. He was wrecked though, funnily enough he woke up this morning crying and wanting to go see Cohen again. I am glad I brought him...

Amcgee
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Glad you got on well Amcgee. The cold was really a killer on Tuesday too. Your sons (presumably?) first concert was a pretty high class affair, he'll have to do well to top that when he grows up! :)
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

I am happy that your 7 Year old had a great experience and sorry that you had to leave early because of the cold. I am sure, that it will be an unforgettable evening.
Maybe you can do it again with warmer clothes or indoor :)
Yours, Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”