Old Ideas for Old Ideas?

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
scocoh

Old Ideas for Old Ideas?

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnkyface

Re: Old Ideas for Old Ideas?

Post by mnkyface »

I'd like to hear the whole album in the concerts too. :)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Vicomte »

Personally, I would also like quite a change in the set list, including most, if not all of the new CD. LC has a large list of songs, no need surely to bring out more than 50% of the last general set list this tour? Some of the last tour songs have been well recorded on a couple of CD's and I just feel it would be quite nice to break away from the general list in 2008-10 and see a very refreshed tour this time, even if just to ensure a distinct separation and not to let the two tours converge as one extra long tour.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
literman

Post by literman »

well i will rather some older ideas anyhow in my opinion banjo, darkness, crazy or lullaby could be somehow nice.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I would like hear "Different Sides" included...in fact, the way things are shaping up they should perhaps re-title this the "Different Sides Tour"!
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

My New Ideas for the Old Ideas Tour :)

PART ONE

1. Dance Me To The End Of Love (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
2. Going Home (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
3. The Faith (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
4. Darkness
5. Born in Chains
6. Lullaby
7. The Window (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
8. Alexandra Leaving
9. A Thousand Kisses Deep (the song, not recited)

PART TWO

10. Crazy to Love You (Cohen Solo)
11. Thanks for the Dance (Cohen Solo)
12. Suzanne (Cohen Solo)
13. The Gypsy’s Wife (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
14. Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye
15. The traitor (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
16. Joan of Arc (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
17. Tonight Will Be Fine (with Alexandru’s burning violin as in Live Songs 1973!)
18. Amen (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)
19. Banjo
20. Different Sides

1ST ENCORE

21. So Long, Marianne
22. First, We Take Manhattan

2ND ENCORE

23. Famous Blue Raincoat
24. Closing Time (with Alexandru’s burning violin!)

3rd ENCORE

25. Bird on the Wire
26. Do I Have To Dance All Night?
(Instead of Cohen telling us "I Tried to Leave You", he could tell us "Do I Have to Dance (and sing) All Night? ;-)
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
Kenadian

Post by Kenadian »

John Etherington wrote:I would like hear "Different Sides" included...in fact, the way things are shaping up they should perhaps re-title this the "Different Sides Tour"!
I am excited to hear any of the new songs with the Webb Sisters adding their exquisite vocals... the way the album should have been recorded. From the first listen, 'Different Sides' cried out for their voices.

Cheers,
Ken(adian)
2008: Kitchener|Hamilton x2|Toronto x3|Montreal x2|2009: New York|Detroit|New York x2|Hamilton|Kingston|Ottawa x2 |Colmar|Vienne|Nimes|Philadelphia|New York MSG)|Cleveland|Nashville|2010: Sligo x2|Lisbon |Caen|Grenoble|Strasbourg|Marseille|Tours|Lille|Victoria|Vancouver|Oakland x2|Vegas x2|and more.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Ken - Absolutely! I'm looking forward to hearing the Webb Sisters sing "Come Healing". I propose that it might be their new show piece.

scocoh - I was thinking that "Different Sides" might replace "Closing Time".
B4real

Post by B4real »

Dreamermusic, I love all your ten suggested songs with Alex B's violin playing in them. :D

And that's a good set list but I would:

1. Keep A Thousand Kisses as a recitation or another poem in it's place - maybe one from The Book Of Longing - I wish he would recite more poems like he used to.
2. Replace Lullaby with Show Me The Place.
3. Replace Banjo with Hallelujah.
(I know it is an Old Ideas Tour but it's difficult not to include this classic)

........ and of course all with Alex's violin now that makes twelve or maybe thirteen with the poem. :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

scocoh wrote:How many of the Old Ideas songs will we hear in concert? My hope is that they play all or almost all of the new songs. I love the album and think adding the new songs will bring a lot of excitement to the fans who have seen the recent tours.

Your thoughts?
During the 1993 Future Tour, in Detroit, I heard 5 out of the nine songs. Tacoma Trailer, we wouldn't have heard him singing and Always, not written by him - so,I don't count these two, so I guess I heard 5 out of 7 songs. Pretty good ratio.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

To follow up on MaryB's suggestion, I've heard a few recordings from the I'm Your Man Tour in 1988, and Leonard sang every song from that album, although I Can't Forget and Jazz Police were not performed at every concert (but they were performed here and there). So, that bodes well for Old Ideas! I'd love to hear all ten of the new songs played live!!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

New Skin for the Old Ceremony and I'm Your Man are the only albums with every song (11+8) being perfomed at least once.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Well, we can hope that Old Ideas will be added to that list!

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”