Tickets

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
TipperaryAnn

Re: Tickets

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1,
Perhaps you didn't take the time to notice that the title of this thread started by Rob Hallett of AEG is TICKETS. - not concerts, but TICKETS. Any discussion of ticket allocation is therefore valid here.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Mabeanie1,
Perhaps you didn't take the time to notice that the title of this thread started by Rob Hallett of AEG is TICKETS. - not concerts, but TICKETS. Any discussion of ticket allocation is therefore valid here.
I didn't say talk about the concerts TipperaryAnn. I said maybe remember the concerts rather than bad feelings about tickets. Sligo was a long time ago and what's done is done. As for "discussion of ticket allocation" it seems to me that your comments - and some others - went somewhat further than "discussion" into something more akin to a witch hunt. No one should feel that the need to defend their actions in a "discussion".

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Sligo was a long time ago and what's done is done. Wendy
It's not just about Sligo, of course.
If you read all the posts here you would see that history is repeating itself. Lots of good tickets not available in the Dublin presale - no doubt these will turn up later, some in the hands of touts, others apparently "gifted" to various people, some of whom have no interest in LC. You can hardly blame those who pay 100 Euro or more for a ticket resenting "freebies" being thrown around like snuff at a wake!!!

People should not have to defend their actions, you say. What an odd statement! It depends on the actions, surely. Personally, if I got a free ticket, I would consider it dishonest to sell it to someone else.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

TippearryAnn wrote : Personally, if I got a free ticket, I would consider it dishonest to sell it to someone else.
I should sincerely hope that you are not accusing the late Dr. John Corish of being dishonest,
you should qualify that statement or withdraw it.
The tickets that Dr. John received for free from a family connected to the promotion of the Sligo Concerts were redistributed for free through this Forum.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Well said Wendy, lets remember the concerts.

I did not have the money to go to the Sligo concert and Carlow mike emailed me and offered me a free ticket, which i was so amazed and thrilled with the offer. Some friends put me up on the floor in their hotel, even getting me sofa cushions to lie on. And not only did Carlow mike leave me a ticket to be picked up in a local bar in Sligo, he even put twenty euro in the envelope for a drink for me and my 2 friends. A gentleman and a scholar in my book.

I hope readers of this Forum do not think all Irish contributors are as argumentative and defensive as TipperaryAnn always seems to be... She loves an argument as far as I can see from most of the posts i have come across that she has written. EAch to his own, it is a free world and a forum is of course all about free speech.

I would also like to say, I have never even met Carlow Mike, yet he had the good grace and kindness to give me the ticket for the concert in Sligo.

Thanks again,i will never forget that
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Big Like, Bernie! It is these acts of kindness, solidarity, mutual support, generosity, etc, etc, that makes the Forum what it is. For sure we should be able to discuss, disagree, argue and, above all, question but I just think we are all pretty lucky to have found this forum and this set of interactions and, most of time, if we can afford it, and if we are in the right place, at the right time, with the right karma, we end up with good tickets - whether for 1 show or more! It all levels out in the end, I think!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

tinderella wrote : EAch to his own, it is a free world and a forum is of course all about free speech.
Thank you for your kind comments tinderella, it was the late Dr. John who read your post concerning your lack of funds at the time and he contacted me to offer you the ticket anonymously for free.
Regarding the above Quote I agree fully but when allegations of dishonesty are made it becomes a different matter.
Besides what could be interpreted as a slur on John's character (not yet qualified or withdrawn by TipperaryyAnn ) there are also the residents who live adjacent to any open concert venue, they are always offered free tickets as disturbance compensation.
They may have no interest in attending the concert so they are quite entitled to sell the tickets if they wish.
This cannot be regarded as dishonest.
I live near Kilmainham and I have already sold 4 "residents tickets" for the September Kilmainham concert in the A4 Block for 95.50 each on the Forum without any Credit Card or transaction fees involved.
Are the sellers to be regarded as dishonest ?.
They could have got much more on Ebay ?.
My main concern now is with the good character of the late John Corish and his family regarding the comment made by TipperaryAnn.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Good on you for defending what is right, carlowmike... and on you for receiving such a generous and lovely gift, tinderella.

I would like to believe that Ann will do what is right, as well, on this matter.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jeney

Post by jeney »

I hope it is just a case of Tipperaryann using a word that she did not intend to use "dishonesty" was an unfortunate choice, even if she was expressing her personal opinion, one has only to read her previous posts on tickets to see that there is a agenda at work. It appears that another member joined in this "witchhunt" all of which appears to be based on begrudgery for any person receiving or entitled to a free ticket.
I live in Maynooth John was a doctor here, he was respected by all, his many kindnesses to others can be checked out on boards.ie. Tipperaryann should do the decent thing and apoligise, annemarie should also explain her comments.
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

On reflection it may be best to drop this issue regarding the late John Corish, it saddens me to talk about the situation when he is no longer with us.
His reputation speaks for itself.
We should allow members to get back to talking about "Tickets".
I think the issues raised by annemarie and TippearyAnn regarding free tickets and cheap tickets have been addressed.
I would like to point out that many outdoor events such as Agriculture Shows, Rolling Stones concerts ( next July ? ) and Leonard etc. could not take place without the approval and support of residents in the area, they have to be compensated for the inconvenience of traffic, noise, litter etc.
Free tickets have always been part of the approval process for outdoor events
I disapprove of corporations buying tickets, usually good seats, for clients who may have no interest in the artist but feel compelled to attend anyway and chat all through a concert.
I have experienced this at many concerts, and at Leonard's concert in the 02 where I asked the couple in front of me why they had paid such a high price for tickets and then chatted throughout ( laughing through "some of the songs ) they replied that they "never got" Leonard but they were awarded tickets from 02 and felt they should attend.
I felt it would have been better if they had sold their tickets to people who would appreciate what was happening on stage.
In that instance I felt it was "dishonest" of them to attend.
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

:D Mike--yes enough said---should get back to what is important (stones july?)

Anne
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

jeney wrote:I hope it is just a case of Tipperaryann using a word that she did not intend to use "dishonesty" was an unfortunate choice, even if she was expressing her personal opinion, one has only to read her previous posts on tickets to see that there is a agenda at work. It appears that another member joined in this "witchhunt" all of which appears to be based on begrudgery for any person receiving or entitled to a free ticket.
I live in Maynooth John was a doctor here, he was respected by all, his many kindnesses to others can be checked out on boards.ie. Tipperaryann should do the decent thing and apoligise, annemarie should also explain her comments.
Yes, I will explain my comments. I presume you mean I'm one of those involved in a "witchhunt"??? I don't know Ann and have never met her, but I tend to agree with some things she says.
To explain my comments, I just reiterate that tickets were floating around Sligo all that weekend and names were mentioned. I felt (and still feel) it denigraded the whole idea of a fan presale, nothing to do with begrudgery for someone getting a free ticket :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
We've lived with the politics of sleaze here for so long, nod and a wink, brown envelopes, digouts etc perhaps some of us have become rather cynical.
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

carlowmike wrote:
I think the issues raised by annemarie and TippearyAnn regarding free tickets and cheap tickets have been addressed.
I would like to point out that many outdoor events such as Agriculture Shows, Rolling Stones concerts ( next July ? ) and Leonard etc. could not take place without the approval and support of residents in the area, they have to be compensated for the inconvenience of traffic, noise, litter etc.
Free tickets have always been part of the approval process for outdoor events
I disapprove of corporations buying tickets, usually good seats, for clients who may have no interest in the artist but feel compelled to attend anyway and chat all through a concert.
I have experienced this at many concerts, and at Leonard's concert in the 02 where I asked the couple in front of me why they had paid such a high price for tickets and then chatted throughout ( laughing through "some of the songs ) they replied that they "never got" Leonard but they were awarded tickets from 02 and felt they should attend.
I felt it would have been better if they had sold their tickets to people who would appreciate what was happening on stage.
In that instance I felt it was "dishonest" of them to attend.
I had no idea that local residents get free tickets, but makes sense I suppose. I know someone who lives right beside Croke Park who has never got free tickets for gigs there.
So that could account for some of the people I've met at concerts who barely knew who was playing :?:
Unfortunately it doesn't explain the large number of good tickets which never make their way to the real fans, ie those of us who have been around since the 60s. :!:
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Leonard's management doesn't give free tickets, but many local promoters do - mostly to press, musicians on their labels, politicians, celebrities, their own family, workers, etc. as it goes in the whole world.

The BIGGEST success of Leonard's presales were that FIRST ROWS never went to local politicians and celebrities who don't care for Leonard's music (nor Lenard ever heard of them) but were sold in advance to real FANS. Leonard wanted it that way, and I will always be grateful to the tour management and AEG Live they did that effort.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

tomsakic wrote:The BIGGEST success of Leonard's presales were that FIRST ROWS never went to local politicians and celebrities who don't care for Leonard's music (nor Lenard ever heard of them) but were sold in advance to real FANS. Leonard wanted it that way, and I will always be grateful to the tour management and AEG Live they did that effort.
This may not have been universally true but it is certainly the case for the majority of concerts for which there has been a pre-sale over the last few years and I have already expressed my gratitude to Leonard, his management and AEG LIve for the wonderful opportunity they have given us with the pre-sales.

I would like to think that Tom will have the final word on this topic ........

Wendy

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”