Tickets

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
TipperaryAnn

Re: Tickets

Post by TipperaryAnn »

real-alan wrote: I will admit to getting a bit pissed off at the number of first time posters asking "how I do I get the presale tickets?" Back to the free for all I reckon.....
Yes, and they were the ( comparatively ) innocent ones! The cute ones never announced their brief flirtation with the Forum, just to get tickets.

Anyway, happy Easter, everyone ! ( Won't be so happy for those who had already booked their flights to Verona...)
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

RobH wrote:it has come to my attention that the 'hidden' ticket link we sent to Forum members for the pre-sale were posted on online forums where the general public can view it, fans and non-fans alike, then it seems like an easy target for touts? Facebook was one , amongst others. If you do this you are only cheating real fellow fans out of the best tickets. Please stop this practice immediately and tell your friends to do so also, otherwise what is the point of us going to all of the trouble to help you?
Rob Hallett
The 'hidden' ticket link has always been visible to all.It was even advertised in advance on Ticketmaster that there would be a pre sale.
Who exactly is Rob trying to help? The people who have been forum members for the longest, those with the most posts, or those that go to the most concerts or meet ups?
I do really appreciate the pre sale tickets that I have managed to buy . I joined the forum just before the world tour started in 2008 and I admit that I initially joined to make sure that I didn't miss the pre sale, 800 posts and 4 years later I am still here!
Inspite of the problems I don't think the pre sales should be abandoned.I think that a decision needs to me made as who exactly the pre sale is for,then a link or password needs to be sent to any qualifying forum members by PM or email.The presale certainly should not be advertised. It maybe that there are fewer tickets in the presale and maybe not every qualifying member gets a link to every pre sale... Should I be able to buy USA pre sale tickets? I would rather have the chance for good seats in the UK.
Rob obviously is unhappy with the current arrangements but I don't think the problem lies with the genuine fans.
Hidden links need to be hidden.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

Who exactly will decide who the chosen forum members are who qualify to get pre sale tickets. I am disgusted that just because I dont feel the need to post everyday I dont deserve to qualify for a pre sale. I post when I feel I have something constructive to say I do not spend all day every day on the forum I have a life.
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

anneeshipley wrote:Who exactly will decide who the chosen forum members are who qualify to get pre sale tickets. I am disgusted that just because I dont feel the need to post everyday I dont deserve to qualify for a pre sale. I post when I feel I have something constructive to say I do not spend all day every day on the forum I have a life.
The presale for Helsinki was initially by email before if appeared on the forum in full view of google.
I don't know who got tickets - but it wasn't the touts.
A pre -sale by it's very nature has to be restricted or else it is a public sale.
How it is restricted should be decided by either the people supplying the tickets to the forum or the people who run the forum.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

Well I do not want to be part of a 2/3 or 4 tier system regarding getting priority notice of dates. By its very nature surely a forum is for all memebers. Incidently the pre sale for this tour does not affect me as I cannot make any dates announced so far. If a date is announced that I would like tickets for I am willing to take my chances along with the majority who do not belong to this forum.

Anne
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

anneeshipley wrote:Well I do not want to be part of a 2/3 or 4 tier system regarding getting priority notice of dates. By its very nature surely a forum is for all memebers. Incidently the pre sale for this tour does not affect me as I cannot make any dates announced so far. If a date is announced that I would like tickets for I am willing to take my chances along with the majority who do not belong to this forum.

Anne
I think we've reached a situation where the benefit of a pre-sale is marginal at best.... it is so widely flagged (inadvertently and deliberately) that the world and his wife know about it.... hence the number of new "members" signing up to get the better tickets (whether for themselves, or for eBay) - it's impossible to identify the "real" fans in these, so I think what Ann & others are suggesting is not a two-tier (or any other number of tiers) system, rather a straightforward public sale.....
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Might I disagree with the poster above who questions the value of presales and continuing them?

Every "system" has its flaws, but by and large, I think the presales here have benefited genuine forum members, not abusers. There are many here who will gladly travel far distances to see Leonard, and without the presales, I think it would be virtually impossible to obtain decent tickets to venues in distant countries. I was able to get good seats for Paris and Barcelona using the presales by merely observing the opening times (and in the case of Paris, monitoring the forum for ways to bypass the glitches). Absent these presales, I don't think I would even have tried public purchases.

Ending the presales punishes all Leonard fans here as well as the few abusers, and I hope that idea, or the idea of allowing only certain forum members to participate, are never implemented. The one "reform" that might make sense would be to freeze new memberships for a time; for example, in the current instance, new memberships could have been suspended from the date of Jarkko's "big news on Monday" post through the time that presales had taken place.

Curt
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

real-alan wrote:[I think we've reached a situation where the benefit of a pre-sale is marginal at best.... it is so widely flagged (inadvertently and deliberately) that the world and his wife know about it.... hence the number of new "members" signing up to get the better tickets (whether for themselves, or for eBay) - it's impossible to identify the "real" fans in these, so I think what Ann & others are suggesting is not a two-tier (or any other number of tiers) system, rather a straightforward public sale.....
I notice that most of the comments of this ilk appear to be coming from our Irish members - or, at least, people who were looking for tickets for the Dublin shows. For whatever reason, there seems to have been particular problems with the tickets for the forthcoming Kilmainham shows. I did OK with my purchases of single tickets but I am well aware that a lot of people were bitterly disappointed.

At the end of the day, how successful you are in a pre-sale depends on two things: demand and/or which tickets the promoter decides to put in the pre-sale in the first place. Promoters often keep the very front seats for the "great and the good". If they are not allocated to anyone, the tickets are then put on sale to the public. That's why it's often possible to buy great seats shortly before a concert. That's how Tony and I ended up centre front at the two London O2 shows in November 2008 - I just happened to be at a conference in the Indigo on the day of the first concert, took a comfort break roughly about the time the box office opened and got very lucky (our existing indifferent seats on the side remained empty ...) I may have misunderstood but I got the impression from some comments Rob H made on Facebook that AEG may not have been entirely happy with the way the local promoters handled the Kilmainham pre-sale.

So far as demand is concerned, because of the reputation of past Irish shows, there was particular "excitement" about the forthcoming Dublin shows, both from the existing membership of the forum worldwide and from "new" members who may have joined to take part in pre-sales. This all increased demand exponentially so many, many people were chasing the best seats at the same time. Of course, it doesn't help that Ticketmaster advertised that there would be a fan club pre-sale but Ticketmaster always lists details of the various On Sale dates for all artists, not just Leonard.

I think we are in grave danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water by focussing solely on the problems with the Dublin pre-sale and saying as a result that there may as well not be any pre-sales in the future. Other pre-sales have gone well in so far as forum members have reported that they have great front row seats for many shows e.g. Ghent, Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Verona, Lisbon etc etc despite some problems with the mechanics and timing of the pre-sales themselves. Such success with these and past pre-sales may have raised expectations for the Dublin shows which proved to be unrealistic because of the way the Irish promoter has played it. They won't be the first promoters to (apparently) save the best tickets for themselves and they won't be the last.

Mark - I think your idea of cascading passwords down via e-mail is great in theory but totally unworkable in practice. There must be 1,000s of active forum members who would be interested in them and even if you could find a way of letting so many people know by e-mail there is a great danger that someone would get missed out, for example where a forum member uses a different e-mail address for the forum from their everyday address (as many do). Also we must remember that Jarkko and the other moderators have lives outside the forum. Jarkko's life must get swallowed up by forum matters at times like these. It is time consuming enough for him that he has to liaise with AEG and post the various links on the forum at the right time without the added burden of having to organise cascades of e-mails. E-mail only worked for Helsinki because it is a relatively remote location and there would be limited numbers of forum members wishing to go to the show. Even then it must have meant a lot of work for Jarkko.

I for one am very grateful for the pre-sales and I hope Leonard's management and AEG continue to offer them to us in the future. They may not be perfect, we may not always get the tickets we want but when it works the pre-sales are an amazing facility which we should value and be careful not to abuse.

Wendy
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
Well at least AEG Live or Sony Music Entertainment (or whoever is responsible for the content of the official LC page) have been great trying to mislead people to think that there were no presales at all! ;-)
http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/tour/presales

Any "normal" fan would go to the official artists website and check that page, thinking: "Mmmm, no presales yet, but it looks like they will be announced here! I'll check this place frequently from now on!".
:-)

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Maarten wrote:Hi,
Well at least AEG Live or Sony Music Entertainment (or whoever is responsible for the content of the official LC page) have been great trying to mislead people to think that there were no presales at all! ;-)
http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/tour/presales
Maarten
Perhaps, it is time for the official site to go back to the drawing board.
It might be prudent at this stage to remove the pre-sale tab altogether?

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

"I notice that most of the comments of this ilk appear to be coming from our Irish members - or, at least, people who were looking for tickets for the Dublin shows. For whatever reason, there seems to have been particular problems with the tickets for the forthcoming Kilmainham shows. I did OK with my purchases of single tickets but I am well aware that a lot of people were bitterly disappointed."

I totally agree, most problems seem to be with the Irish gigs again and with good reason :!: :!:
We had the same problem with Lissadel, got better tickets in the general sale. It was particularly annoying to find that good tickets, ie near front in flat seating area, were floating around Sligo that weekend. They were not being touted either :!: They were being either sold or just given away by a FORUM Member :!:
Personally I feel my anger is justified.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

annmarie wrote: It was particularly annoying to find that good tickets, ie near front in flat seating area, were floating around Sligo that weekend. They were not being touted either :!: They were being either sold or just given away by a FORUM Member :!:
I think so too, annmarie. I hope you made the name of that " FORUM Member" available to Jarkko - it would seem an abuse of membership. Did he/she get those good tickets for nothing, I wonder, since he/she was being so generous with them? And if so, from whom and why?
We all know how corporate bodies buy up tickets for sporting events, for example, and then dole them out to favourites or as rewards for favours received, but that kind of thing wouldn't happen on the LC Forum, would it...? :shock:
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

annmarie wrote :
We had the same problem with Lissadel, got better tickets in the general sale. It was particularly annoying to find that good tickets, ie near front in flat seating area, were floating around Sligo that weekend. They were not being touted either They were being either sold or just given away by a FORUM Member
I am not sure annmarie, but you may have been referring to meself ?
if so there is an explanation.
Two households in the Lissadell area passed some tickets to me which were issued free by the promoters to residents, they requested that I sell them for face value.
They were sold for face value (no Credit Card or Fee charges ) either through the Forum or in Sligo.
Also a friend of mine, John Corish, a life-long Cohen admirer, was gifted near front row tickets via his profession,
after reading some comments on the LC Forum he gave me three tickets to distribute for free to individuals,
this I done and same was acknowledged on the Forum.
On 31st December 2010 John died in a house fire, he was aged 44 and left a wife and 3 year old daughter.
He practised as a Consultant Psychiatrist for many years and acted as GP in Maynooth at the time of his death.
I posted Appreciation on page 66 of the Sligo-Help thread at the time of his passing.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's almost 2 years since the Sligo concerts. Isn't it about time to stop bitching about the ticket allocations and remember what were by all accounts two fantastic concerts instead?

Wendy

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”