CONCERTS OF THE OLD IDEAS WORLD TOUR IN EUROPE

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
its4inthemorning

Re: OLD IDEAS WORLD TOUR: CONCERTS AND TICKET INFO

Post by its4inthemorning »

Gee Vicompte,

I am sure you are a very nice person and a loyal fan, but at least in my opinion your comments are way over the top. Artists do, I think, have an obligation to their fans, but only in a very general sense. They should acknowledge their fans, treat them with respect, and try to accommodate them in terms of "work output" to the extent their creativity, health, and personal lives allow. However, none of this can be construed as meaning an artist should ever feel obligated to (a) accept less pay to be "fair" to his fans, (b) force himself to create or perform if his "artist self" has serious reservations about doing so, or (c) endure grueling multi-continent, multi-country, multi-year tours to make sure every fan gets to see him in a convenient venue.

Barely months ago we were all cautiously hoping Leonard would do another tour. Never mind his age or the rigors of the travel, we wanted to see more performances, and no one then was quibbling about specific countries, dates, and venues. How short our memories are!

I think we should all count our blessings: Leonard has put out a terrific new album this year, he decided to commence a new world tour this year, he will perform in at least 16 countries on two continents in 2012 (and rest assured every one of these concerts will be a memorable event), and he has offered very clear signals that the new world tour will continue in 2013 and will be followed by another new album. Is that not enough to wish for?
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

its4inthemorning wrote:Barely months ago we were all cautiously hoping Leonard would do another tour. Never mind his age or the rigors of the travel, we wanted to see more performances, and no one then was quibbling about specific countries, dates, and venues. How short our memories are!

I think we should all count our blessings: Leonard has put out a terrific new album this year, he decided to commence a new world tour this year, he will perform in at least 16 countries on two continents in 2012 (and rest assured every one of these concerts will be a memorable event), and he has offered very clear signals that the new world tour will continue in 2013 and will be followed by another new album. Is that not enough to wish for?
Hear hear.

W
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Goodness me, read my post again and please do not patronise me with "I am sure you are a nice person" and do not call me a "loyal fan". Yes, I like Leonard's music a lot and have done for around 45 years but my own loyalty revolves around my family and dear friends, not around artists, whoever they might be.

My post was actually mostly in jest. Do you really think I would actually call for the head of Rob Hallet and seek him out to the ends of the Earth if he doesn't get UK concerts arranged, do please be serious. It was a joke, as Rob had told us not long back on this forum that AEG had not finished with the UK but there was to be only one gig in 2012 (therefore putting the assumption that more gigs would be arranged in 2013) I think your own points about his not being obliged to tour the UK are well OTT. The UK is where LC really started his career, he has a long time "fan base" there, if any country deserves LC concerts (if that is the right word), then it is in the UK and personally I think AEG will be arranging concerts there next year. Just because we read on here of people on here traveling all over the World to go and see him in concert, far more people in the UK cannot possibly afford to do the same and they are the people I am talking up for.

You may have been cautious but if you look back at my views on another tour, you will see I was 100% certain he would tour again. A few of us had mock court trials where we gave our side of yes, or no, to a tour and you will see my reasons as to why LC would most certainly tour again. So please don't include me in your 'how short memories are" etc etc statement, that may have been your thoughts, they were not mine, nor some others.
Why do you tell me to rest assured about any of LC's concerts being memorable? You are treating me like I have never seen LC in concert and I have yet to see him. Well sorry, that is certainly not the case, my being at LC concerts go back a long time and believe it or not, I have even spoken to the chap a few times :lol: As for the album, yes it is a very good album but asking me to count my blessings, oh please!
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

V

;-) :D
harald

Post by harald »

I think you could call me a fan of L Cohen since nearly 40 vears

I really support its4inthemorning´s statement, thx for that
but I would go further
L Cohen, like any artist (and he is not ANY artist), does not have the tiniest obligation towards me
why should he? he doesn´t even know me

I appreciate what "my" artist offers (or sometimes might not appreciate it)
I would never think I had any right on him
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote:
My post was actually mostly in jest.
Of course it was! Unfortunately some people don't seem to recognise humour or irony - unless it has lots of laughing smilies after it as a helpful guide?!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Thank goodness at least that you and anneeshipley saw behind what I was saying. ;-) I am increasingly convinced some people are on a constant look out to be outraged, insulted and to take umbrage.

Why though shouldn't the good people of the UK feel that they are "deserving" of some concert dates, especially as this is now more than likely to be Leonard's last tour? I personally think he will. See even I am now in doubt of a further World Tour after the Old Ideas tour. I don't see a "Return LC tour" a "Final return LC tour" " Or even, "An LC farewell tour" as that's been done to death already by Cream and others :lol:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
its4inthemorning

V, I have never met or spoken to you or read your prior posts, I was merely responding to your comments in that post as you wrote them. Obviously, my interpretation was not what you wanted to convey, I guess my sense of humor has gone awry. BTW, I envy that you have met and spoken with Leonard in the past, those must have been very memorable occasions! Here's hoping we both get to see Leonard this year and in 2013.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

OF COURSE VICOMTE WAS JOKING - but its4inthemorning's message also contained a very important reminder of just how lucky we are that we have a new album and new tour, etc. There has been far too much moaning about the tour plans, particularly lack of UK dates and complaints about the UK date we do have and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fed up of reading them.

NB This is a general comment and not in any way not aimed at you Vicomte or indeed at anyone else in particular.

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

TipperaryAnn wrote: Unfortunately some people don't seem to recognise humour or irony - unless it has lots of laughing smilies after it as a helpful guide?!
Interesting comment Ann. I very rarely use smilies (too old and set in my ways?) and have had comments misunderstood because I haven't added the appropriate smilie to make my meaning plain for all to see. :oops:

Because we are, despite the various spats, a pretty close community most of the time, I think we often forget that there can be cultural and language barriers between us :roll: which the use of smilies helps to overcome.:) So, yes, lots of laughing smilies may just be required. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wendy
stargazer61

Post by stargazer61 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:OF COURSE VICOMTE WAS JOKING - but its4inthemorning's message also contained a very important reminder of just how lucky we are that we have a new album and new tour, etc. There has been far too much moaning about the tour plans, particularly lack of UK dates and complaints about the UK date we do have and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fed up of reading them.

NB This is a general comment and not in any way not aimed at you Vicomte or indeed at anyone else in particular.

Wendy
Have to agree with you. I am just grateful that I have had the chance to see possibly the greatest singer/songwriter of the last 50 years (and this from a massive Dylan fan!). I am absolutely sure that, (all being well with Mr C's health) next year we will be sitting at our computers, with several windows open, praying for the presale to several UK concerts to open. I don't think the UK is being ignored especially given the massive fanbase here, merely that it is not included in this year's schedule. Am just grateful for the Hop Farm even if it is outdoors (as are the Dublin concerts!). Time for a few positive vibes!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Bizarre really because no one on this thread has been negative about whether LC will be playing in the UK, including me who had not only great belief that LC would tour again but have said often enough he will play in the UK next year (this was of course strengthened when Rob Hallet made his post on the subject) Anyway I am not going to search through this thread to see if there was any negativity but yes, I have seen the negativity elsewhere and that is probably where it should have been stated.

I tend to agree that humour from some places will not travel too well but to our American Cousins, I find that in general they understand irony and that slant of humour, look at TV shows like Cheers, Taxi, Seinfield, Frasier and so on, it is pretty common and you can bung in the Simpsons as well. So kind of surprising that anyone from over the Pond didn't see it but there you go.

its4inthemorning, the only thing I remember talking to LC about in any conversations and can actually still recall, was asking if he would be playing in Barcelona on his 80th Birthday, just as he had on his 75th and he replied, yes and he would also be taking up smoking again.....Please don't take that as serious, Leonard obviously likes a bit of irony himself ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
its4inthemorning

V,

My response to your "explanation" was well-intended, but I guess you are one who feels he must always have the final word. So to make you feel better and validate your studied opinions on humour, I will humbly admit here that all my family, friends, and acquaintences here this side of the Pond constantly remind me that I have no sense of humour and say that I would not recognize irony if I stumbled over it. And furthermore I will come totally clean and reveal that I never really "got" those programmes on the telly like Cheers, Seinfeld or Frasier, or worse, those from the Beeb like Monty Python or the truly puzzling Fawlty Towers. And blimey, does ANYONE actually understand The Office?

Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

What have I said now!! What's with the "Final word" ?????

Sorry but you said you were envious about my having spoken with LC, so I made light of it, as quite honestly, I really cannot recall anything else, bar the cigarette part. I expect my OH will know every single word when she has spoken to LC, or any of the band.

Cripes, you are right, if none of those shows float your boat, then I have to agree with you, your family, friends, and acquaintances. Humour is possibly my greatest need, nay want, a crack with friends and family is one of my deepest loves in life, it really is. As for the Office yes, loved it and totally understood it, even better was Extras but for sure not everyone liked both or any of those two but hey, surely that's what comedy is about, some you like, some you don't but not all "don't" like, that surely makes for a right grim time ;-)

Can I ask if you have the Live in London DVD? If so, when Leonard starts on Tower of Song, then he says he doesn't want to alarm anybody as he knows you won't have seen one of these before, do you laugh or tell the person next to you that you have indeed seen one of those things that plays itself? If you didn't say anything and laughed, or even smirked, did you understand he was being ironic? Then again a little later when he tells the audience they are very kind and then goes on to say he was born with the gift of a golden voice, if you laughed again, then sir, you did recognise irony, even if you did stumble over it ;-) :lol:

But then, if you didn't even grin, then, I am lost for words and bow to your grimness ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

[quote="its4inthemorning"]V,

My response to your "explanation" was well-intended, but I guess you are one who feels he must always have the final word.

It does kind of look that way doesn't it?
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”