Sharon Robinson's album EVERYBODY KNOWS (August 2008)

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
lizzytysh

Re: Sharon Robinson's new album with LC-related items

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tom [and Hey, Linda :D ] ~

I'm trusting your information, I'm just not seeing it. I'm referring to the encased within its own box the hummingbird hovering over the coffee cup. The hummingbird is definitely a Leonard component. And, perhaps, the coffee cup, as well... though I can't see anything else in my mind's eye for its being blocked by the remembrance of the photo of unshaven Leonard drinking a cup of coffee... looking more Dylanesque than in any other photo I can recall. However, the merging of the two and being in their own, little box seems 'new' to me. In the graphic you posted, I'm not seeing either a hummingbird or a coffee cup. Without 'reading' the link, I clicked on it, thinking it would take me to where I might find it in something, but it's just a repeat of what you put here yourself. Can you please tell or show me what I'm missing?

Thanks. [No coffee yet, that may help my vision and understanding :) ... and did you end up all night, Linda ;-) ? Forty days and 40 nights... yeah :lol: .]

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well, you're probably right, that logo from 2000 shows only "still life" composition. I am also quite not getting you, as I know this logo from before, and the hummingbird and coffee cup are obviously Leonard's (hummingbird was designed in 1979 by Diane Lawrence, as note in Dear Heather booklet credits). In my mind, Leonard drawn the coffee cup so much that this logo seems familiar to me (and apparently to Linda). As I said, I am sure now it was first time used on old Sharon's site, in 2004. In my previous post, I wrote that Sharon has confirmed it's her own logo, designed by Leonard in 2001. Anyhow, complete cover art was designed and drawn by Leonard.

Maybe just the design of the logo is typically Leonard's. I didn't find now any cup like this in Book of Longing, except 3 or 4 time repeated drawing of Leonard with the coffee cup, and My Metal Cup on page 93. I also have in mind The Book of Blue Coffee, as possible title of Book of Longing, and the famous 1993 coffee/tea cup. I do recognize coffee cup as one f Leonard's usual motifs.

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah, I agree with your posting here, Tom. The themes have become very familiar, for all those reasons. Yet, seeing them merged in a single logo like that struck me as 'new' and, somehow, unfamiliar in a 'logo' sense. It's a beautiful 'logo' [I love the way the tip of the hummingbird's wing goes outside the box] and not without humour... "Coffee ~ the nectar that enlightened hummingbirds seek" 8) . Where do I apply ~ I want to be one :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi all,

Thanks, Tom, for the link on the 'Order' design. I haven't read the Book of Mercy and I didn't realize that there was so much meaning attached. I have a detaileld drawing of that design on disc and could likely get 'something' made from it, one fine day, as it's quite big.

On the Hummingbird, I simply remember seeing it first in the Future material. Although, it likely appeared before, but The Future really gave it prominence. There was a pic of Leonard and Jarkko with the Hummingbird coffee cups, when Leonard left Mt. Baldy (I think). So many images have been seen, that the order in which they appeared is cloudy at times. Someone told me once, that it was possible to simply take the Hummingbird design (from the Future insert) to one of those shops that scans the image onto a coffee cup (you know the kind? grandkids on grandparent's coffee cups, t-shirts, etc.), and presto - you have your own coffee cup with the Hummingbird design. Heart, handcuffs and all. The HBird, I thought was designed by Hazel Field, or maybe she just took the photo for the Future stuff - the Future items being of Michael Petit's design, I believe.

But like you Tom, the Still Life studio resonated in my mind when I saw Sharon's cup. I think in that (Leonard's) world, ideas simply generate further ideas. But, yes, the Still Life studio design looks very familiar now. I hope we're not going to have to remember all this again. It gets complicated, and my mind doesn't seem to be holding onto any specific image for any length of time, anymore. :D

Did I stay up all night, Lizzy? Nah. It was me and the bots in here when I left. Right now, though, it's rainining as in a biblical downpour. I just might stay inside for the next 40 days and 40 nights, which will likely find me back in here for another look-see.

Nice talking with you all. It's Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada, so Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone. I'll have a turkey sandwich in your honour.

Linda.

I seem to have temporarily lost my spell checker - good luck in trying to decipher this.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Linda ~

Happy Rainy Day to you :D . Have you been to the Book of Mercy discussion threads? I think you'd enjoy reading through them and maybe participating there :idea: :) . It seems you may have plenty of time ;-) .

I guess Leonard's hummingbird had watched him and Jarkko drink the coffee long enough and, being tired in the wing, decided to sample some herself ;-) . It's a charming logo 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Yes, I should take a look at some of the Book of Mercy threads, as that's one book I really have very little knowledge of. And as things happen, I've seen it in the 'bargain bins' here in Canada. It didn't go over big here, as of course, most people were hoping to get a book of more 'traditional' Cohen poetry - you know? in the potential 'dance' mode. :roll:

Yes, I have a lot of time to stay indoors, but as I work on the net from home, all that time isn't free time, happily so, or I'd go nuts. Sometimes I spend the entire day online, and then I 'must' go out, rain or shine.

But I'll likely take your suggestion of giving those threads a read.

Later,
Linda.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jarkko wrote:
Sharon Robinson wrote: I'm writing to let you know that I'll soon be releasing an album of my own.The album is called "New Standards" and is an album of 10 songs, three of which are my versions of songs I've written with Leonard.

The three songs I wrote with Leonard are "Alexandra Leaving", "Everybody Knows", and "Summertime". The other songs are mostly unknown, but the titles are "Invisible Tattoo", "Party For The Lonely", "Forever In A Kiss", "Sustenance", "As It Goes By", "The High Road", and "Secondhand".

(...)

I'll be making the album available through a new online distribution company called NovaTunes. They'll be doing a beta launch on October 16 and a full launch on November 15. It will also be available on iTunes and CD Baby or Amazon. I don't have dates for those as yet.

There's a new website started and still in progress at http://www.sharonrobinsonmusic.com where I'll also be making the record available soon, along with some streaming audio.
As you can note, the dates has passed by, and it seems that it's hard to get distribution and promotion so quickly. Also, NovaTunes isn't launched yet. So, today Sharon has confirmed this:
Sharon Robinson wrote:The release of my album is going to be postponed until next spring in order to give it a more thorough promotional campaign.

Thanks so much for announcing the release and I'll keep you posted on new developments, dates, etc.

All my best,
Sharon
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

Tom Sakic wrote:My Metal Cup on page 93.
Was it... Heavy Metal?

Also: Summertime? What? Which album is this on?
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

'Next Spring'? Gee. There seem to be an awful lot of delays in the Cohen camp. Well, I suppose they know what they're doing, and the product we get (if we ever get it), will be of the best they have to offer.

I presume 'My Metal Cup' is a poem in The Blackening Pages, I could be wrong, and I get to check to see if I am.

Thanks, Tom, for keeping us all abreast of the comings and goings of all Cohen-related people/projects. Even though I wasn't big on her 'production' contributions (so very audible now that she's not involved -if you know what I mean), I always loved her voice. That deep smoky voice so very much like Leonard's own. I've never heard her sing one note outside of Leonard's own work, so this will be something truly new to me.

Ta,
Linda.

I just got an old album of Della Reese tunes before she went gospel, and I can see Sharon doing some of those old classics like Stormy Weather or the traditional version of Summertime - she has that fine, deep powerful voice. I don't imagine she'll be going that route, but her style just lends itself to that 'era'.

*** Oh, and as I didn't read the entire thread (as usual :oops: ) that would be page 93 of Book of Mercy, not from the Blackening Pages as I originally 'assumed'. I MUST get a copy of that book. There are a few oldies that have been re-released here. Let us Compare Mythologies being one. Maybe it was in print this entire time, but I didn't see it until just the other day. Hopefully, Leonard's recent activity will motivate McLelland/Stewart to release a fair number! (meaning: lots) of his older books of poetry. As it is now, it's difficult to get anything aside from the most recent.
Last edited by linda_lakeside on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The one thing I can assure you, Axel, is that with Sharon, it's not light metal, medium metal, or heavy metal ;-)

I agree, Linda, that "Summertime" by Sharon should be sublime.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Wouldn't it though? It's such a powerful song, and her voice could take it straight through the roof. I don't like all these 'American Songbook' albums a la Rod Stewart, but a good standard by a good vocalist, is a treasure.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Girls, "Summertime" which Sharon recorded is not the classic old tune, but her and Leonard's 1980 song written for Diane Ross. Plus, Linda, Let Us Compare Mythologies has indeed been reprinted in 2006 (new cover art with a young LC photo, soft cover) and in June 2007 in US (hardcover, exact reprint of 1956 edition). That was "the 50th anniversary reprint". ;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Boy, boy o'boy... WHAT "Summertime" written for Diana Ross by Sharon and Leonard? Have we heard this??

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi guys,

Tom, I'm with Lizzy on the version of 'Summertime'. I didn't think it was the old standard, but I have no idea what song it might be. Where can we find it???

Ah. So Let Us Compare...is a 'find'??? I just saw it the other day at Chapters. There were quite a few, but I guess I better move on it. It's the soft cover I want, right? The original cover design? Good - I'll do that tomorrow. I sure hope they release the rest - they're almost impossible to find. They had a nice big version of Dance Me ... you know? Just the song and the artwork. It's a lovely book, but pricey for so little - although the artwork is beautiful. So, I guess I should get Let us Compare....first, as the rest (BOL, Stranger Music, Book of Mercy) will be around for a while. Why, oh, why didn't I buy it at the time? I bought a Margaret Atwood instead, that's why. She's always around, Leonard is far more difficult to find. Oh! They had a beauty of a Pablo Neruda. I'm always in such a quandary when I go into those bookstores/record stores.

Tks for the info. Keep us tuned in. ;-)

Linda.
50th anniversary? Sounds like forever. Yes, I better move on it - or I'll be left out in the cold, bookless, (again).
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I thought it was the old standard. Guess I'll go a You-Tubin' and Googlin' ~ I'll let you know, Linda.

Well, here we go, Linda... however, was Johanne Sharon's maiden name, or is it her married name?

http://www.rhapsody.com/dianaross/great ... yrics.html

I like the song [singing and lyrics]. Here are the lyrics [whoops ~ it won't let me copy them... back in a minute]. Okay, this place would and here we have it with Leonard getting top billing and their using Robinson as Sharon's last name:
(Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson)

Summertime when will you come
I wanna put my light things on
I wanna put my winter life away
Summertime I need a sunny day

I want those peaches on the table
I want the watermelon red
And the warm sun creeping through the window
To ease me out of bed

I want the sand out there to lie on
And the sea out there to swim
So my heart can take a holiday
From breakin' over him

And I want to drive forever
Wanna roll the windows down
Get the breeze back on my body
Get my feet back on the ground

I want the sand out there to lie on
And the sea out there to swim
So my heart can take a holiday
From breakin' over him

That's from here: http://www.sweetslyrics.com/177105.DIAN ... rtime.html

Interesting, eh, Linda? We both learned something tonite. This is really going to be gorgeous sung by Sharon. For one thing, she knows the 'original' intent and feeling of it [not that there's much confusion on either, but still... ]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Related Artists”