Sharon Robinson at Bush Hall (Report)

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
John Etherington

Sharon Robinson at Bush Hall (Report)

Post by John Etherington »

Sharon Robinson's first London concert, this evening, was a huge success. Arriving at 7.30 pm, I was still able to get a good seat in the third row. However the seats soon filled-up, and the venue appeared to be almost full. Sharon took to the stage simply-dressed in a loose black top and black slacks. She wore sparkling silver earrings and looked beautiful and radiant. She played the first few songs alone on the piano, but after a few numbers she was joined by two young male musicians, both smartly dressed in suits. One had shorter hair and played trumpet, while the other (who Sharon later announced was her son) had more of an afro hair style and took over the piano from her for most of the evening. Sharon herself either stood and sang or played a keyboard at the front of the stage. The evening was divided into two halves as follows.

Strong For Me
Caffeine
In My Secret Life
Summertime (written with Leonard)
Safe
Everybody Knows
Love Itself

Walk Away From You (?)
One More Song
Sustenance
A Thousand Kisses Deep
The Harder You Look For Love
Boogie Street
Driftwood

Encores:
Alexandra Leaving
Lucky (also written with Leonard)

It was lovely to see Hattie Webb there and chat with her. However there were only two regular Leonard concert goers that I met during the evening, namely Andy Barnes and Chrissie-Anne. After the show, Sharon came to the merchandise desk for a signing, and I got my copy of "Ten New Songs" signed (she sang half of the album, at the concert). I also bought one of the beautiful mugs that they have made to promote Sharon's new album "Caffeine". They're royal blue with a small hummingbird logo (as on "Recent Songs"). Overall it was an absolutely wonderful evening. I urge anyone to make an effort to see Sharon live. I won't hesitate to buy a ticket next time she tours.

All good things, John E

As an afterthought, it has occurred to me that I may be the only person on the planet to have seen the first major London concerts by Leonard (Albert Hall 1970), Adam Cohen (Water Rats 1998), Anjani (Pigalle Club, Piccadilly Circus, 2007), Neema (Bush Hall, 2011), The Webb Sisters (Green Note Cafe, 2011) and now Sharon at Bush Hall!
A.Sukitu

Re: Sharon Robinson at Bush Hall (Report)

Post by A.Sukitu »

Great review, John.
It was all this and more - Sharon is spell-bindingly wonderful - and I don't think she knows this. May she tour for ten years. I'd sign up. I could listen to her voice forever - soft, deep, warm, dreamy - and so alive. Loved the concert.
Hi to Nefelly and to Wendy too.
Lucky Glasgow tonight ...
Sharon has such grace.
"Haste ye back".
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

PS
Joining Sharon:
JJ Kirkpatrick on trumpet + vocals
Michael Gold (Sharon's son) on piano + vocals.
Dream gig for all three. Perfect. Effortlessly (... it seemed ...) cool.
("that's jazz!")
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
John Etherington

A.S. I totally agree about Sharon's voice. As son as I heard the two new songs at the beginning, I had similar feelings. It's good to know that a few people from the Forum were there.
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

John, wonderful review of a lovely evening, thank you. I enjoyed every minute and really appreciate you putting the running order here.

Having bought Caffeine last night I just know it will be as listened to as Everybody Knows and Ten New Songs.

Lucky Glasgow tonight!
John Etherington

Thanks, Jane! Please note that Glasgow is tomorrow night (Wednesday, April 8th).
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Ooh yes, getting ahead of myself, thanks John
Nefelly

Post by Nefelly »

what a sublime concert. Very classy and elegant Sharon really does have a superb voice as well as magical musical skills. Loved every moment and yes I would go back and see her again and again. Lovely to see Chrissie and to meet Wendy and thanks to A.Sukitu for her good company. A most perfect evening.

Return to “Related Artists”