Julie in NYC on October 29

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
dick

Julie in NYC on October 29

Post by dick »

Julie Christensen will be the musical guest and read some poetry at the Cutting Room on Tuesday night 10/29.

Doors open at 6:30 for 8:00 show. Tix $15 in advance, $20 at the door. $20 food/drink minimum as well. See club web site for more info.
Linda and I will be there and hoping that Sue Giffard and some of her family will join us. Esther also invited!.

Venue a relocated club, new location founded by actor Chris Noth ("Sex in the City" and "Good Wife." )

EVE BRANDSTEIN’S POETRY IN MOTION has a 25 year history of bringing leading actors, writers and poets together to create exceptional spoken word events. In addition to producing the series since 1988, Eve Brandstein is a published poet and has been a major studio and network executive as well as a tv producer, a film and theater director, writer/creator, and casting director. She has recently been directing NY theater productions including for this Fall season – Shut Up, Sit Down and Eat at the Players Theater and Saffron and Rosewater at the 92nd St. Y. Eve is also an artist, psychotherapist and teacher. Welcome to an evening of poetry, story, and song at the Cutting Room.

Performers include:

Nichole Acosta
Ben Brandstein
Julie Christensen
Sandy Helberg
Sylvana Joyce
Michael Lally
Miles Lally
Carole Montgomery
Nathan Pearson
Simon Pettet
Rain Pryor

Venue Information:
The Cutting Room
44 E. 32nd St.
New York, NY, 10016

http://thecuttingroomnyc.com/

Hope to see some other fans there.
dick

Re: Julie in NYC on October 29

Post by dick »

The show was consistently entertaining, and the best news was that Julie looked great, was in fine voice, and closed the show with a wonderful solo of Anthem. Brought tears to Esther''s eyes.

Very hip and popular venue.

Enjoyed getting together with Sue, seeing Crista from the April dinner, and a chance for brief interaction with Julie's handsome son. We met him before in Dublin at last Hal Willner show. Julie also made time for Esther and our group.

Julie seems happy to have completed her move to Nashville.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dick,

Thank you for this. Could you possible elaborate, ie. venue, size of venue, number of people in the audience, how long was her set, choice of songs (were they all her songs?) etc...... I do so love her work and her collaboration with LC was electric. She really 'got' him!

I've travelled long distances to see LC, but because of that, finances come into play. I wish I could have been there :(

Affectionate regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for your interest Mary.

The show was mostly poetry readings, and one pianist with a short song. Julie expected to have a full 20 minutes, but coming at the end, her's was cut a little shorter. Different shows staring at 10 and at midnight.

Started her set with a Velvet Underground song, Jesus, a remembrance for Lou Reed. A couple of her own songs on piano, followed by a couple more, including, Anthem, on guitar. All sounded beautiful. Sorry I'm not good at set lists and originals versus covers.

Most notable of the other performers was probably Sandy Heiburg, with good comedy ---- "You can only blame so much on the holocaust." His credits include films with Mel Brooks,and tv such as Mash, the Jeffersons, and Newhart. Has a new half hour comedy slated for 2014 with Jeff Goldblum.

The venue is very modern, large bar at front on the street, and smaller show room in back with excellent acoustics and a number of small tables. I'm guessing maybe 30 seats or so for dining and show -- and food was good. Some sound overflow from bar as it got really packed.

Sorry we didn't get to see you band George again.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

dick wrote:. Sorry I'm not good at set lists .
That's probably because you are just enjoying the show and are 'in the moment' :) I appreciate your detailing this show - thank you!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Related Artists”