Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Adam Cohen's music, tours, other news
lorca00

Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Post by lorca00 »

Not sure if this idea has been discussed already but it seems to me that the last two albums which Adam released are the notes/journals/drafts of songs and verses from his father. Anyone else have this same suspicion? We know that Leonard kept and collected boxes full of his “yellow” notepads. Could it be that Adam is using these notepads for material to record the unreleased songs of his father? I believe he is which is fine. However he should admit the words are his father’s and I honestly believe they are. I’m grateful to hear any unreleased writings of Leonard but there should be some dignity and credit to go along with it. As Leonard would have said "Caveat emptor" or "Let the buyer beware".
HugoD

Re: Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Post by HugoD »

Why would you suggest such piracy? One would think you have more than a wild guess to pose such an accusation.
Please produce some evidence before making such claims, for now they seem highly inappropriate.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

There is one song on Adam's last album which was written by Leonard and credited to him. All the others are (as far as I know) Adam's own work and, although may have a slight influence in some parts from his father's work, are completely different to anything produced by Leonard.

In my opinion, Adam is a very good songwriter and singer and his work is somewhat overshadowed by who he is rather than judged on its own merits.
lorca00

Post by lorca00 »

HugoD wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm Why would you suggest such piracy? One would think you have more than a wild guess to pose such an accusation.
Please produce some evidence before making such claims, for now they seem highly inappropriate.
What type of proof are you looking for besides the obvious rhyme patterns, the phrasing of the lines and the words used...there are many more subtle references that are very obvious but this would turn into a paper for a master’s thesis which I don’t have time to write. I would suggest that most of the songs that appeared in the last two albums of Adams are Leonard’s unrealised B-Side songs/notes of lyrics/unfinished poems...etc... from the time of New Skin for the Old Ceremony and Death of a Ladies of A Man. I am only suggesting the words are Leonard's...not the musical arrangements. I also believe on the second album We Go Home, Adam become more bold than the first album in regards to recycling Leonard’s drafts and using them for himself.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

lorca00 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:17 am
HugoD wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm Why would you suggest such piracy? One would think you have more than a wild guess to pose such an accusation.
What type of proof are you looking for besides the obvious rhyme patterns, the phrasing of the lines and the words used...there are many more subtle references that are very obvious but this would turn into a paper for a master’s thesis which I don’t have time to write. I would suggest that most of the songs that appeared in the last two albums of Adams are Leonard’s unrealised B-Side songs/notes of lyrics/unfinished poems...etc... from the time of New Skin for the Old Ceremony and Death of a Ladies of A Man. I am only suggesting the words are Leonard's...not the musical arrangements. I also believe on the second album We Go Home, Adam become more bold than the first album in regards to recycling Leonard’s drafts and using them for himself.

Dear Moron Troll, this is such a friendly place that your trolling seems so silly. Despite your ridiculous post we welcome you MT. Nice to see you again with a new name.
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
lorca00

Post by lorca00 »

solongleonard wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Dear Moron Troll, this is such a friendly place that your trolling seems so silly. Despite your ridiculous post we welcome you MT. Nice to see you again with a new name.
Are you referring to me? I still stand by my claim that Adam is using the notes of Leonard's journals for his recent songs.
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

lorca00 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:46 am
solongleonard wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Are you referring to me? I still stand by my claim that Adam is using the notes of Leonard's journals for his recent songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E
THEY MUST LEAD
MarthaG

Post by MarthaG »

What type of proof are you looking for besides the obvious rhyme patterns, the phrasing of the lines and the words used...
Being Leonard Cohen's son, Adam Cohen grew up with his father' words being spoken to him every day. It seems clear to me, that by being member of the same family,the rhyme patterns, the phrasing, the words became his own language, too. That's non-material inheritage, I'd say.
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

Personally, I would love to hear more of Leonard's poetry set to song; if Adam did it that would be great (and I think we would have heard if he latest albums were Leonard-penned on the lyrics side). If other people do it, that's great too. ( https://youtu.be/8kPtecVU5Hs?list=PL1WG ... 7OlsFwJGbY ) Heck, I wouldn't mind hearing all of Leonard's poems set, respectfully, to music.

Adam isn't quite a subtle as Leonard, but I do see how there could be some confusion. There are time when Adam seems to really channel a bit of his father's brilliance and humor - I especially love the way he puts himself on par with his pal "Willie Shakespeare" by the simple trick of calling him by a nickname. That's a Leonard move if I've ever seen one. So funny. I laugh every time I hear it. The only other artist that makes me laugh every time I hear a song, no matter how many times I hear it, is Leonard himself. My g-d that man was funny.

Here is hoping Adam continues to grow as an artist; to both channel his inner "old man" and find his own way. And if some of Leonard's poems come to us in musical-form via. Adam, then I think that's a great thing for all of us...
solongleonard

Re: Is Adam Cohen signing the unused cheques of his father?

Post by solongleonard »

That would be Fraud and I can't believe that!
THEY MUST LEAD
Violet

Re: Is Adam Cohen signing the unused cheques of his father?

Post by Violet »

solongleonard wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 am That would be Fraud and I can't believe that!
Agreed. I can't believe posters here are so nonchalant about this. I don't know a great deal about Adam, but my impression of him is that he would never do that. That doesn't mean he might not be influenced by his father, but if he were to set an existing, unpublished poem by his father to music, he would of course credit it as such. It's a matter of professionalism as well as artistic integrity. Also, one imagines it would be terribly obvious. Of course, if it's true there are similarities then again that shows influence not stealing. I mean, we're not talking about Bob Dylan here. (That was a little Dylan joke -- kindly ignore if you're a Dylan devotee.)

Anyway, it's perplexing that someone would bring this up without copiously backing it up.

[??]
Violet
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

I’ve had it up to here with Adam! Have you noticed certain lyrics from his new vinyl release, “Songs stolen from my famous Father”. I know nothing of the Law but isnt stealing technically bad?

Some of Adam’s lyrics are amazing and I spot no Leonard influence at all- “Suzanne takes me down to her place by the Publc Library”, “Dance me to the middle part of love" “There is a war between America and Mexico”.
THEY MUST LEAD
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I'd like him to record some of Leonard's unfinished songs and release them as that.
He did such a great job producing the final album too.
London 25/7/1985
London, Royal Albert Hall 30/5/1988 & 10/5/1993 :
Manchester Opera House 20/6/2008 : Vienna Konzerthaus 24/9/2008 :
Cardiff 8/11/2008 : Manchester 30/11/2008 : Berlin 2/7/2009 :
Lille 25/9/2010 : Paris 29/9/2012 : Rome 07/07/2013 :
Bournemouth 26/08/2013
mutti

Post by mutti »

I would love to hear Adam sing his own songs or any of Leonard's songs as I think he is good in his own right. I look forward to whatever comes forth in the coming years from Adam.
Cheers!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
The Brucester

Post by The Brucester »

~~ comments withdrawn ~~

(decided unnecessary)
Last edited by The Brucester on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Adam Cohen”