Adam Cohen: Like A Man

Adam Cohen's music, tours, other news
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Adam Cohen: Like A Man

Post by jarkko »

From Adam:
The record will come out in the US in March I believe.
The idea was to come to the States with a bit of momentum and press.
Until then, there are many ways to buy the record as an import.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

jarkko wrote:From Adam:
The record will come out in the US in March I believe.
The idea was to come to the States with a bit of momentum and press.
Until then, there are many ways to buy the record as an import.
Thanks! (and thanks to the forum my copy from Canada is on it's way.)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

jarkko wrote:If our European members happen to see any reviews of the album (online or in printed media), please send me the links or a scan of the paper. I will forward them to Adam.
Tom Bognø already sent one from Norway (Stavanger Aftenblad, one full page. 5 out of 6 stars).
My review of Adam's album from Drop-d:

http://www.drop-d.ie/adam-cohen-like-a-man/21164

Adam Cohen – Like A Man

They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree and in the instance of the new album from Adam Cohen it is fair to say in this case this is an accurate description as his father’s influence is all over this record. Having Leonard Cohen as a father and lifelong influence in his life was sometimes hard for Cohen to deal with and while on his first two records he tried to move away from his father’s influence and indeed genre of music now with his new record Like A Man he embraces his heritage.

Like A Man is an acoustic album of beautiful melodies where the theme of love is omnipresent. The first song on the album is Out of Bed and from the opening line “For you I’d try to make it rain in the desert, I’d ask the mountains to kneel down” I knew that this was going to be a wonderfully emotive album full of excellent imagery. Out Of Bed is a song where the narrator is describing his love but how even though he has these deep feelings he is unable to keep his promises but that he loves her all the same. With an opening line of that calibre it is the perfect opening to the album.

Songs of note on the album include Like A Man where he describes himself as the stereotypical male even though he doesn’t want to be. However he wants her to be the stereotypical woman. It is a song of contradiction but a song that would resonate with many other people. Similar in lyrical style to this song would be Overrated where he believes love is over rated but he still wants it anyway. What Other Guy is another song of note where the narrator claims to know everything about his woman and poses the question what other guy knows her like that. It is a gorgeous declaration of love and of knowing someone so well and when mixed with sublime guitar playing it is the perfect marriage of melody and lyrics.

A song of special mention would be Sweet Dominique. Where most of the songs have the guitar as the main backing instrument to Cohen’s sublime vocals in this song there is a wonderful organ sounding like melody which has an almost religious feel to the music. It is accompanied with the most beautiful lyrics including “You opened like a flower in the heat, your beauty on my eyes like a masterpiece” and also the wonderful line “I didn’t know we could go so many kisses deep” reminiscent of his father’s song A Thousand Kisses Deep. This song also includes the brilliant line “If love was like a mountain you took me to its peak”.

Another song where the lyrics remind me of Cohen‘s father is in Beautiful. This song describes that even if there were many disasters in the world like the examples he uses including if the Hollywood sign catches fire that he would want to tell his lover “Thank you for being so beautiful”. The line “farewell New York City, farewell Bethlehem, so long Willy Shakespeare, so long Marianne” is most certainly a homage to his father’s song So Long Marianne.

My favourite song on the album is the final song Stranger. It is definitely a case for me of saving the best until last. Ironically an album of love songs it is the only song where love is not the central theme. It describes how we all live together but that essentially we are all strangers and are just passing through. This song instantly reminded me of the song Passing Through sang and arranged by his father and originally written by Richard (Dick) Blakeslee.

Looking at the album Like A Man as a whole I feel it works well and the chosen songs and placements work well together. Mixing beautiful melodies with soulful lyrics makes for a perfect combination. While I have noticed the influence of his father I do believe this is an excellent record which would appeal to anyone who likes acoustic music. Cohen’s vocals are wonderfully relaxing. On my first listen to this album I was instantly reminded of David Kitt and I would highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of his music.

The album Like A Man is available to purchase now and Adam Cohen is currently on tour promoting the album where he will bring this tour to Ireland in November playing Cork, Dundalk and Dublin on November 2nd/3rd and 4th respectively.

Drop-D rating: 9/10
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks much for the review. Hoping to get my delivery soon.

Post by 264811403188 »

Thank you for the informative review. I would like to see you put this on amazon/uk as it will surely help decide potential buyers. I purchase all my music from them and good, positive reviews always influence my decision.

This one is a must; I'm eagerly awaiting mine - although it usually takes up to three weeks to reach the outback we're living in.

Gerrida
GMKarsten
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I agree, Gerrida. This review is both positive and substantive... the latter being so important.
It needs to be posted on Amazon and anywhere else, as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks for your kind comments. As soon as Amazon send me the request to post a review I will do so. Received my hard copy of the CD from them today along with the new LC Collection and they normally send me a review link a couple of days later. My review was done from a press link I was sent a couple of weeks ago! Adam commented on my link I put on FB thanking me for it and once he liked it I am very happy :D Can't wait for his concert in Dublin in November :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

Adam will be playing live on CBC Radio 2 Drive tomorrow afternoon (October 14th). Between 3:30 and 7:00 Eastern Standard Time (you can also hear it in the other time zones at the same local time).

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

Here's a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaWluTDSE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63GjiU0BKo
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufHpDX4XUw
Exclusive acoustic live session with Adam Cohen for Like a Man.
October 25, 2011
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

mesmerizing, soothing, beautiful... thanks, Goldin
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
valentin

Post by valentin »

Verde que te quiero verde...
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

I wish Adam well with the album and tour but personally after listening to the album trailer/samples unfortunately does not move or interest me in spite of the dynasty connection.
canuck

Post by canuck »

Interesting Adam Cohen mention in this Guardian article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oc ... CMP=twt_gu
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Saw him in Barcelona yesterday.
I liked him better than I thought. Stronger sound than his record.
We had a nice tip, Javier Mas and his son Raul joined him on stage to play "So long Marianne"!
Have to say he is charming, humble and honest.
Mai Bloomfield very sweet voice.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
harald

Post by harald »

Hola Bea,
will see him in Munich, would have preferred to see him in Barcelona
will think of you and Barcelona and Marseille and Haiger
best for you and greetings to Meritxell
Harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire

Return to “Adam Cohen”