Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Adam Cohen's music, tours, other news
lorca00

Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Postby lorca00 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:29 am

Not sure if this idea has been discussed already but it seems to me that the last two albums which Adam released are the notes/journals/drafts of songs and verses from his father. Anyone else have this same suspicion? We know that Leonard kept and collected boxes full of his “yellow” notepads. Could it be that Adam is using these notepads for material to record the unreleased songs of his father? I believe he is which is fine. However he should admit the words are his father’s and I honestly believe they are. I’m grateful to hear any unreleased writings of Leonard but there should be some dignity and credit to go along with it. As Leonard would have said "Caveat emptor" or "Let the buyer beware".
HugoD

Re: Is Adam Cohen singing the unreleased songs of his father?

Postby HugoD » Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Why would you suggest such piracy? One would think you have more than a wild guess to pose such an accusation.
Please produce some evidence before making such claims, for now they seem highly inappropriate.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013
HelenD

Postby HelenD » Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm

There is one song on Adam's last album which was written by Leonard and credited to him. All the others are (as far as I know) Adam's own work and, although may have a slight influence in some parts from his father's work, are completely different to anything produced by Leonard.

In my opinion, Adam is a very good songwriter and singer and his work is somewhat overshadowed by who he is rather than judged on its own merits.
lorca00

Postby lorca00 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:17 am

HugoD wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm
Why would you suggest such piracy? One would think you have more than a wild guess to pose such an accusation.
Please produce some evidence before making such claims, for now they seem highly inappropriate.
What type of proof are you looking for besides the obvious rhyme patterns, the phrasing of the lines and the words used...there are many more subtle references that are very obvious but this would turn into a paper for a master’s thesis which I don’t have time to write. I would suggest that most of the songs that appeared in the last two albums of Adams are Leonard’s unrealised B-Side songs/notes of lyrics/unfinished poems...etc... from the time of New Skin for the Old Ceremony and Death of a Ladies of A Man. I am only suggesting the words are Leonard's...not the musical arrangements. I also believe on the second album We Go Home, Adam become more bold than the first album in regards to recycling Leonard’s drafts and using them for himself.

Return to “Adam Cohen”