"Positive comments only" thread.

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
TipperaryAnn

"Positive comments only" thread.

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Funny! Should we have a "Negative comments only" thread to balance this? Trouble is the only negative thing I could find to say about "Old Ideas" is that I like "Anyhow" less each time I hear it, so I usually skip it now when enjoying the rest of the album.

I have seen no evidence that Leonard, wise man, ever peruses our ramblings here on the Forum, positive or negative. ( Queries which are answered, e.g. 'tune' or 'tube', are answered not by Leonard but by ' Leonard's management' .) But somehow I think if he did decide to cast his eye in this direction he might find the threads where there is some cut - and - thrust and difference of opinion more interesting and entertaining than the totally adulatory ones!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Maulwurf

Re: "Positive comments only" thread.

Post by Maulwurf »

thank you, ann!
i was so close to posting a "neutral comments only" thread in response to the positive one.

i hope lc doesn't give a damn about what either one of us thinks of the quality of his work.
i'm sure he appreciates the positive response. but it's still his work. let's hope his comments are positive ones! :-)

just keep skipping "anyhow", ann!
i will keep skipping the other four songs that i do not enjoy too. ;-)
let's just get back to the music! :-)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Funny! Should we have a "Negative comments only" thread to balance this?
Having read the posts in other threads regarding Old Ideas, this already exists (perhaps not exclusively, but the negative comments are certainly available and in some quantity, if that's your thing).

What do people have against positivity? I love reading cheerful, happy posts about how much people love Leonard's work. Call me sentimental, but I find it uplifting. If people want to say negative things, go right ahead, start your own threads, add to the existing ones that are open for all, but I wanted to create a little sanctuary of niceness. You don't have to read it!
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

i'm sentimental, if you know what i mean, lisa! :-)

isn't the entire forum - and especially the album section - a sanctuary of niceness?

or let me ask you the other way around, lisa:
do you think the other old ideas topics aren't nice and positive enough?
i mean, i admit i haven't read all of it, so maybe you can tell me: the other threads on "old ideas", are they too negative?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Maulwurf,

I simply thought that it would be nice to have one place devoted to the expressions of people who really love the album, and who want to share why they love it and what it means to them. From the responses my post has got, I would say that a few other people like my idea very much, and also enjoy that sort of thing.

If I had not asked (politely) that people please post only positive comments, there would inevitably have been negative ones, and that would have disrupted the intention of a love-fest!

Lisa
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I think the reason some of us want to make positive comments on both 'Old Ideas' as well as all of Leonard's music is because this is the only place we have to express these sentiments. Unfortunately I do not know anyone else to share the happiness his music brings. Isn't this why Forums exist? to bring together people who share our enthusiasm.

I really don't think we have to apologise constantly. Leonard Cohen, his music, poetry and writing, is just so good, that since becoming a fan I can't find anyone else that I feel is in his league. Life is too short not to enjoy him while we have him amongst us.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Maulwurf wrote:
"i hope lc doesn't give a damn about what either one of us thinks of the quality of his work."

Agreed!

just keep skipping "anyhow", ann!
i will keep skipping the other four songs that i do not enjoy too.
Hi Maulwurf. Now I'm really curious about which 4 you don't enjoy - I bet one of them is "Banjo" ? That seems to be the least popular with several people on other threads, but I like it, especially the little New Orleans jazz style interlude, and the fact that Neil Larsen, such a great keyboard man, plays cornet on it.

Love your signature - predicting the future now? :razz: He can't very well call the next album " New Ideas", though, since several of the songs likely to be on it have been in gestation for some time, and even if LC lives until 100 or more I can't imagine him choosing the title "Final Songs" - ever!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Lisa thank you for starting this thread. I would post this on any thread but want to say the more I listen the more I hear things I didn't hear and the more I love
Old Ideas. I tend to have a long commute to work and listen a lot in the car. Some of the songs I liked right away and find myself humming or singing them at different times of the day...and the more I listen to even the ones I skipped over at the beginning the more I like each and every one of them.
Oh I hope we get to hear them live..that will be such a delight!
Cheers
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

mutti wrote:Lisa thank you for starting this thread. Oh I hope we get to hear them live..that will be such a delight!
Cheers
Leslie 8)
Hi Leslie! Thanks for your comments, but this is not actually the thread I started for this purpose, so may I ask that you please re-post them in the thread called "For Those Who Love Old Ideas..." found here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31620

And, I, too, hope to hear these songs live. That would be amazing!

Cheers!
Lisa

And, TipperaryAnn, could you please rename this thread to avoid confusion? That would be very nice of you. Thanks!
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

mutti wrote:Lisa thank you for starting this thread. I would post this on any thread but want to say the more I listen the more I hear things I didn't hear and the more I love
Old Ideas. I tend to have a long commute to work and listen a lot in the car. Some of the songs I liked right away and find myself humming or singing them at different times of the day...and the more I listen to even the ones I skipped over at the beginning the more I like each and every one of them.
Oh I hope we get to hear them live..that will be such a delight!
Cheers
Leslie 8)
you see, lisa:
even a negative thread like this attracts the positive comments! ;-)

hi ann! :-)

this wasn't meant to be a display of negativism. but yes, "banjo" is one of those songs.

my signature is just a joke. i have no idea what the future will be. i know it is murder, but i cannot imagine lc calling his next album "murder" - but i would love that! maybe i will add it ;-)
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Maulwurf wrote: i have no idea what the future will be. i know it is murder, but i cannot imagine lc calling his next album "murder"
Now there's an idea - would give great scope for interesting art work...
Anyway, whatever he calls it, let's hope it gets a positive reaction.

Poor "Banjo" - I'm very fond of it, but it has got a more negative reaction than the other songs. Just shows how tastes differ, which is the joy of a Forum, a place of public discussion of differing opinions.

Now I'm off to enjoy St.Patrick's Day and the week-end that goes with it !
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Personally, I really do like "Banjo".

As ever, L.C bungs on one song that can be rather like Marmite (sorry for those of you across the pond who may not know about but Marmite is something that is loved or hated by folks in the UK) for me, it is a focal point of Old Ideas. When LC performs the songs he choses from Old Ideas, in the next inevitable tour ;-) my money is on Banjo being very popular sung live and a song to lift the mood, something in the mould of Closing Time.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote:Personally, I really do like "Banjo".

my money is on Banjo being very popular sung live and a song to lift the mood, something in the mould of Closing Time.
Yes, strange, isn't it - "Closing Time" began life as a rather sad, slow tempo song, but later became a rousing concert ender!
"Banjo" has serious origins, too,( the death and destruction in New Orleans), yet the effect is cheerful and uplifting.

Typical LC, really, who has said that he knows he will die but likes to do it to a beat! :!:
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Drifting away for the moment from the OP, it now looks likely (more than likely, sorry) that L.C is about to tour and jarkko is set to announce it on Monday next (26th March) so let's hope a venue will suit both of us and we can raise a glass or two ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Here's to that! :D
Yes, looking good, isn't it - there won't be much interest in any of these "ordinary" threads from now on !

Return to “OLD IDEAS”