'Going Home' - One Of His Best

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Tony Crosbie

'Going Home' - One Of His Best

Post by Tony Crosbie »

For me, and I suspect for many 'Dear Heather' was not up there with the best of Leonard's Albums. However with 'Old Ideas' Leonard Cohen has given us a gem of an album. I listen to the album daily since I purchased it at the end of January 2012 and each song on the album is a joy to listen to. Now, I think in time, 'Going Home' will come to be seen as one of Leonard Cohen's most popular songs. It is my favourite on the album.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
lizzytysh

Re: 'Going Home' - One Of His Best

Post by lizzytysh »

Congratulations for being able to choose a favourite, Tony.
I'm always amazed when people are able to do that.
I just can't... !
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I cannot pick a favourite song, either. I think that Old Ideas ranks as one of Leonard Cohen's best albums, ever! I also listen to it daily, never tiring of hearing those delightful songs, the range and variety is breath-taking. I have come to think of Old Ideas as "Best Of Leonard Cohen Vol. 3," because each and every song is perfect and unique, each one is a highlight, and they all fit beautifully within Leonard's impressive catalogue of greatest songs. It is a superlative album.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

For me, one song usually sets a highest standard. Now it's Amen, on Dear Heather it was superb The Letters, and on Ten New Songs A Thousand Kisses Deep. Amen is 10/10, up there with greatest Cohen songs ever.
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

It's harder to name a favourite from Old Ideas than it was from Dear Heather.... I like Go No More A Roving, To A teacher, but abhor Dear Heather, Morning Glory. I love all the new songs except Banjo - and have absorbed them quickly. The three I find myself singing all the time are Going Home, Amen & Come Healing.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I like Going Home but I wouldn't consider it one of his best. I'm not sure that I would consider any of the songs on Old Ideas his best. Better than Dear Heather as a whole. But I feel that a few songs on DH are better than anything on Old Ideas.The Letters,There For You and The Faith.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

I think Going Home is one of the better songs on Old Ideas.
A noteable coincidence happened when I was in the record shop picking up my copy of Old Ideas I also bought another "Going Home" - A Jackson Browne DVD. :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”