Gotten your pre-order CD yet?

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
A.Sukitu

Re: Gotten your pre-order CD yet?

Post by A.Sukitu »

I have a red face ... I was too excited to see Old Ideas on offer with a litho so I ordered it immediately - but, but, but - I ordered a VINYL .... so yes, I'll be one of the many buying yet another cd of Old Ideas ...
It arrived today with £16.97 surcharge:
Import Duty = zero
Excise Duty = zero
VAT = £8.97
Royal Mail International Handling Fee = £8.00
(ie total = £16.97).

Lessons? Next time, read carefully. Wait to see what other lithos might be available. Stick with Amazon.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
BlizzardofIce

Post by BlizzardofIce »

I got mine yesterday.
Was looking forward to get the cd, open it and listen through with the lyrics in my hand, but now the cd is so "old"
So I just looked through the cover and put it away.
Have heard the album 200 times, and still more to come, but the joy of opening the cd and hearing it for the first time is destroyed completely.
Looks like this was my last bought CD. Don't even know where to put it, all my other cd's are stacked away.
Sad thing, but thats just how it is.
There are many ways a man can serve his time
crystal

Post by crystal »

I got mine yesterday as well. Surcharge 9.16 € VAT. That was not too bad. the litho is beautiful so for me it was worth waiting for although I also didn't rush to listen to the CD I have bought it as download, too and have heard it often. Yes, the excitement about getting a new much awaited CD was gone. But still it was great to have it in hands, look at the cover (and listen to the MP3).
Christel
dreamermusic

Post by dreamermusic »

I've just received my copy HALLELUJAH!
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I got the card through the letter box this morning. £15.97 to pay for a CD and lithograph, made up of £7.97 customs charge and £8 presentation fee. Total cost for CD + lithogragh: £58.95. I feel utterly and completely fleeced by Sony. I suppose I should have expected it from them but somehow you seem to forget these things where Leonard is involved. In retrospect, I would probably have been better off waiting for a copy of the litho to show up on eBay.

Wendy
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loulou

Post by loulou »

arghhh furious !

same experiecne as Kali, Macbeanie and others
ordered cd & litho in November from what i perceived to be LC directly
nothing until today a notice with £15.97 to pay (i am in london, uk)

really really pissed off and feel that it should have been pointed out about customs duty apply outside of country x,
where they were shipping from etc

has anyone tried to get a full refund from them as i am in no mood to pay the extra £16 on top of the £38 i.e. let customs sned it back to sender ? - never mind the long delay

are MAD MAD MAD about this !
desire the horse
depression the cart
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

loulou wrote:really really pissed off and feel that it should have been pointed out about customs duty apply outside of country x,
where they were shipping from etc

are MAD MAD MAD about this !
Alas loulou, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The information was there when I ordered in November and it's still there now on the Checkout page:

Important Message!
Ships from the U.S.
Taxes and duties may be due upon delivery

Of course, it doesn't help that the shipping method they use hands the goods straight to Customs on arrival in the UK ..........

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Mabeanie1 wrote: Of course, it doesn't help that the shipping method they use hands the goods straight to Customs on arrival in the UK ..........

Wendy
Interesting point Wendy. Now I think of it the only time I have ever got caught for customs with stuff from the US was when I bought some Bruce Springsteen merchandise and he is also on Sony's books. I have bought loads of stuff from Amazon including books which came in a huge sack and have never had to pay customs with them so it seems it is the method Sony and their comrades use.....
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Why did some people in the UK buy the CD from abroad and not use Amazon UK?

We have had ours well over a week now and it was sent from the UK to France.

Genuine question.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Vicomte wrote:Why did some people in the UK buy the CD from abroad and not use Amazon UK?
2 reasons why I (and others) ordered from Sony:

1. The CD and litho package was ONLY available from Sony

2. Sony offered an exclusive downloand track (Show Me the Place) if you pre-ordered from them. At the time, we didn't know they would start streaming the track on the website or that they would eventually preview the entire album before its release date.

BTW I also ordered a copy of the CD from a UK site but I used Zavvi rather than Amazon who were a few pence cheaper and have historically got new releases to me a few days faster than Amazon. The only reason I didn't have a CD in my hand on the release date was that I was 300 miles away from home that week!

Wendy
loulou

Post by loulou »

ah thanks for your reply Wendy,
i did not notice it (Important Message) there at the time :oops:
Last edited by loulou on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
desire the horse
depression the cart
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Seems like Sony have stitched people up to me. I wonder what Leonard Cohen would say about that?

I might be alone in thinking his management team aren't as great as some will have us believe. I remember the fiasco when LC hurt his back during the last tour and the way it was kept quiet. People were still buying tickets and reserving hotel places, when they knew full well that Leonard would not be able to perform. I knew Caen was cancelled well before we were told but as I respect Jarkko for all he has done for LC and this site, I sadly had to keep it quiet until the official announcement.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
loulou

Post by loulou »

'Seems like Sony have stitched people up to me.'

someone commented on twitter today about what Sony did since Whitney died - put up the price of her music on itunes
desire the horse
depression the cart

Return to “OLD IDEAS”