Old Ideas - touching, warm and funny!

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
meglos2000

Old Ideas - touching, warm and funny!

Post by meglos2000 »

Well after a day of playing Old Ideas continually, I really think it is one of his best.

I knew the lyrics and melodies would be incredible, but what has surprised me is that it has a wonderful sense of musical playfulness and looseness. The mix of keyboards and warmth of real instruments is perfect - and gives a broader musical landscape than say Ten New Songs. I like the flourishes, such as the picking in Banjo and the sleazy shuffle of Amen.

It sounds like someone full of ideas and at their peak - and I really hope that energy gets us to the next album sooner than before. It also has a real sense of mischievousness and fun - with some great one-liners. Going Home seeming to be a perfect response to having a huge reputation going before him when releasing new songs into the world.

I imagine all these songs would sound incredible with his live band too. Fingers crossed we get to see that happen this year!
innerturmoil

Re: Old Ideas - touching, warm and funny!

Post by innerturmoil »

Agreed. Shows the mastery of his craft quite well.
http://www.natepottker.com
-
2009 - Coachella
2012 - Los Angeles
TipperaryAnn

Re: Old Ideas - touching, warm and funny!

Post by TipperaryAnn »

meglos2000 wrote:Well after a day of playing Old Ideas continually, I really think it is one of his best.

it has a wonderful sense of musical playfulness and looseness. The mix of keyboards and warmth of real instruments is perfect - and gives a broader musical landscape than say Ten New Songs. I like the flourishes, such as the picking in Banjo and the sleazy shuffle of Amen.
I think you chose three appropriate adjectives to describe "Old Ideas", meglos - that's the way I hear it too. Yours is one of the best descriptions of the album I have come across. :D
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...

Return to “OLD IDEAS”