LEONARD COHEN ARTICLE IN ABC (SPAIN)

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Chema

LEONARD COHEN ARTICLE IN ABC (SPAIN)

Post by Chema »

http://www.abc.es/20120120/cultura-musi ... 00203.html

Rough Google translation added by Jarkko:
Comply 78 years in September. His last tour lasted three years, and gave 247 concerts that connect you to a whole new generation of fans, including a memorable three-hour session in Baracaldo (Vizcaya) that made ​​him two days after collapsing on his performance in Valencia. He quit smoking, but it has been proposed to recover the service 80. So in 2014 expects to be on the road with his latest album, "Old Ideas," which ABC has listened to premiere this week in London. View waning enter a Leonard Cohen in the small auditorium of the Mayfair Hotel, shaved and dressed in his trademark black hat and dark pinstripe suit, you can fool the senses. His demeanor is light, as if to go through life with as little noise as possible. His attitude is humble. Always attentive to each of journalists gathered to hear him his new job, the first since he published "Dear Heather" eight years ago. "Do not worry, I will look on stage as you, so do not see your faces", said before the hearing. But unwittingly filled the scene with its aura of gentle contours and sense of humor illustrated.

"Old ideas" produced by Pat Leonard (Pink Floyd collaborator or Madonna) Cohen synthesizes the best ten songs that spirit has turned up the volume of his lyrics, his voice serious and sometimes more naked than ever. "Contrary to what people believe, is what happens when you stop smoking. I thought it would ruin my reputation and my voice become soprano, "he explains. "But I plan to return to smoking at 80" .

His latest album is perhaps the best example of Cohen goldsmith of words and the whispers of love, and its Spanish edition includes a booklet with lyrics written by Joaquin Sabina. "I know you never loved me, but I do not want some anyway," says "Anyhow" . It also includes impressive litany of religious rage as "Amen" over seven minutes, a long prayer "for when you're clean and sober" in asking God to let you know "when the victims are singing, when the laws of remorse have been restored. " In "Healing Come," Cohen raises a "penitential hymn" which discusses recipient. "Who is appropriate penance for God or man? Who is to blame for this catastrophe? "He asks. But stops when Jarvis Cocker, Pulp singer, he tries to delve into the spiritual realm chat. "We must be very careful with this sacred than mechanical, I do not want anything happen to prevent me from writing," he says with his everlasting smile on your face.

The disc includes a stunning dark-toned blues, 'Darkness', with drops of ironic self-portrait, as the whole album - "I have no future, I know I left a few days' -. In "Crazy to Love You" plays guitar Cohen himself, always shy about his talents in an art which, as explained in the ceremony of the Prince of Asturias Prize, learned of a flamingo that found on the streets of Montreal . And he closes with "Different Sides" a subject "coheniano" pure, with the piano and keyboards very much on the disc, and the jovial rhythm sunny Sunday as his classic "Do not go Home with a hard on" . A hard fruit of a disciplined verses composed in these years of work in their black books. "I live in constant fear of losing them, I lost many, some masterpieces ...», says, returning to this unpretentious irony in another of his self-portraits in the album" I'm a lazy asshole who lives in a suit ".

Cohen is in fact an avid craftsman of music, envious of artists who work "in an atmosphere of abundance." "I've always felt like scraping the bottom of the barrel every time you compose a song" he says. And he is reverential to their sources of inspiration, as when he confirms his "intimate relationship with Lorca since I was 15 when I found one of his books in a secondhand bookstore in Montreal." A question from ABC says listen "much to Duquende, Enrique Morente and always." Spanish Muses humble a poet with this record confirms the state of grace recovered creative world tour from 2008 to 2011. "He had a very energetic to me before that he had done nothing for fifteen years, I felt like Ronald Reagan in its decline, remembered only played the role of president in a movie," he confesses.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”