The New Yorker streams "Going Home" and prints the lyric

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Tony Crosbie

Re: The New Yorker streams "Going Home" and prints the lyric

Post by Tony Crosbie »

I love to speak with Leonard - he's a sportsman and a shepherd - he's a lazy bastard - living in a suit.

Up there with some of the best lines he has ever written.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Hartford Courant -
http://courantblogs.com/sound-check/leo ... ew-yorker/
The New Yorker Streams Song From Leonard Cohen’s New Album
By Eric R. Danton On January 16, 2012 · 1 Comment

It’s actually a perfect fit: The New Yorker and Leonard Cohen; a venerable magazine with a long-standing interest in poetry, and a songwriter who was a published poet long before he wrote his first song. Starting today, The New Yorker streams the opening song from Cohen’s forthcoming album, “Old Ideas.”

Leonard Cohen's new album, "Old Ideas," is due Jan. 31 on Columbia.

The song, “Going Home,” is a subtly playful meditation on inevitability: of aging, of duty and, to get all abstract about it, a lightening of being. Cohen purrs out the lyrics in a voice grown deeper and richer, and you can almost see the hint of a smile flickering about the corners of his mouth when he sings, “I’d love to speak to Leonard/He’s a sportsman and a shepherd/He’s a lazy bastard living in a suit.”

In addition to streaming the song here, The New Yorker is publishing the lyrics as a poem in its Jan. 23 issue (on newsstands today, a press release informs us).

“Old Ideas,” Cohen’s 12th studio album in a career stretching to 1967, is due Jan. 31 on Columbia. Listen here to “Show Me the Place,” another song from the album.
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

here is page 62-63 of current issue of new yorker
Attachments
nylc.jpg
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From PrefixMag.com -
http://www.prefixmag.com/media/leonard- ... ome/60577/
On Jan 31, Leonard Cohen issues his first new album since 2004, Old Ideas, and it's sounding pretty great already. The last single, "Darkness," was one of the better Cohen songs, period, and now here's a new one called "Going Home" that's pretty great too. It appears this week in the New Yorker in poem form, but this version renders the poem as a prayer like devotion, complete with backing singers at the end. Old Ideas is turning in a dark horse performance here for best album of January, and we've only heard a few songs. You can stream the song below via the New Yorker.
Violet

Re: GOING HOME FIRST LISTENING!!!!

Post by Violet »

.. hi I.F..

.. on the "tube" front.. not to forget the wave-particle duality found in Show Me The Place, we may be in subatomic particle territory.

quoting from Wikipedia on this:

Electrons are at the heart of cathode ray tubes, which are used extensively as display devices in laboratory instruments, computer monitors and television sets.[174] In a photomultiplier tube, every photon striking the photocathode initiates an avalanche of electrons that produces a detectable current pulse.[175] Vacuum tubes use the flow of electrons to manipulate electrical signals, and they played a critical role in the development of electronics technology. However, they have been largely supplanted by solid-state devices such as the transistor.[176]
Violet
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

According to the CD booklet, "tube" is correct,
"But the brief elaboration of a tube"

Dana Glover is the background singer. Other credits for this song:
Patrick Leonard wrote, produced, arranged, engineered, programmed, and performed the music. Jesse String provided additional engineering.
Bela Santelli on violin.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

That's a violin??
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

On the not being able to hear the end of lines front, in Show Me The Place, "wave" sounds like "way" and I can't hear the "v" in behave.
ProfNowlin

Post by ProfNowlin »

Jarkko: Thank you for the info about the lyrics as they appear in the CD booklet. I suppose I best change my tune, as it were, about "tube." Violet, your suggestion about subatomic particle territory is an intriguing one. It also seems to me that "tube" could be, among other things, a playfully self-deprecating way of metonymically referring to the human body, which would in fact fit with the overall tone of the song/poem and with its inspired shedding of "costumes." Regardless, I trust that the puzzle of "tube" is fully intentional, and I'll take it, like I take the song as a whole, as a gift. What's that old Sufi injunction? Something like, "Sell your cleverness. Buy bewilderment."

Brian
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I read tube as in test tube baby- something constructed- analagous to his official personna.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I read it as the brief coming to life of nothing more than a bunch of chemicals mixed together which is really what the human body is after all.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
phillip

Post by phillip »

The new songs are amazing Leonard sure is a genius can not wait for the new album 2 weeks to go yay :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

One comment on the problems on hearing what LC sings, just try imagine what Bob Dylan sings, no one understands a word of his mumbling
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
st theresa1

Post by st theresa1 »

When I listened and thought I heard 'a brief elaboration of a tube', my mind filled out the idea of a channel (since he has no choice in what he says).
He has previously said he has no idea where the good songs come from and I want to respond "I do" but only in the abstract of course. Being a human being of course, he is a bit more elaborate than a tube, but I love the way he throws in 'brief'.
holydove

Post by holydove »

st theresa1 wrote:When I listened and thought I heard 'a brief elaboration of a tube', my mind filled out the idea of a channel (since he has no choice in what he says). .
Hi st theresa1,

That was one of my first thoughts too - that Leonard is like a vessel (that's the word that crossed my mind - same as channel) - through which the messages flow, in the form of poetry/art/music, from that mysterious source (where the good songs come from).

Return to “OLD IDEAS”