Old Ideas song snippets

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
MattW

Old Ideas song snippets

Post by MattW »

I don't know if this has been posted yet (a quick search didn't turn up anything), but for those with poor self-control, the German Amazon site has song snippets up of all the songs from "Old Ideas" at

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0067LY4WG

Listen at your own risk; I took the tiniest (auditory) peek and then closed the tab immediately. I don't want to be spoiled.

Matthias
jerry

Re: Old Ideas song snippets

Post by jerry »

Not what I thought it would sound like at all. Sounds a lot like a cross between Dear Heather and 10 New Songs to me at first listen.
Last edited by jerry on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dear Matthias,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I don't have your self control - I listened to all. OH MY! I won't review what I've heard because I don't want to ruin it for those here that are waiting to get the completed piece in their hands. But, suffice it to say, GOOSEBUMPS, some songs GOOSEBUMPS ON TOP OF GOOSEBUMPS (I will say that after a quick first listen, Different Sides is my favorite).
What a fantastic first posting from you Matthias!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Matt and welcome to the forum :D

Well, I don't have any self control at all when it comes to Leonard so of course I listened!
On hearing it just the one time (and you know I will do this again+++) there appears to be a very soulful feeling over all the songs. No band just "The Voice" with harmonic help. I need to hear all the songs in full to comment any further. Maybe if I knew what jerry knows.....
jerry wrote:The FULL ALBUM is out there if you know where to look!
and where would that be jerry :razz:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
JudasPriest

Old Ideas song snippets

Post by JudasPriest »

Interesting. A very mellow feel. Darkness the most uptempo of the lot. That track sounds better than I was expecting in fact.
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

This sounds absolutely great. My stomach began working imediatly again, my hair seems to be growing at last and the shedding is over. I will jump in the ocean of joy tomorrow and think of naked women...lots of naked women
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
jerry

Post by jerry »

B4real wrote:Thanks Matt and welcome to the forum :D

Well, I don't have any self control at all when it comes to Leonard so of course I listened!
On hearing it just the one time (and you know I will do this again+++) there appears to be a very soulful feeling over all the songs. No band just "The Voice" with harmonic help. I need to hear all the songs in full to comment any further. Maybe if I knew what jerry knows.....
jerry wrote:The FULL ALBUM is out there if you know where to look!
and where would that be jerry :razz:
Just type Leonard Cohen Old Ideas MP3 Download into Google. It must have leaked. Many sites have it for download.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

ah Jerry,
that was mainly a rhetorical question :)
I will wait and get the official one from my local record shop. Besides, I want to know exactly what the two drawings have to do with this CD!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

I agree, Jerry... not what I expected, either.

Was hoping for a fuller sound like "The Future"... or at least full band arrangements. A lot of these do have the synthesized feel that plagued 10 New Songs.

But hard to call from just 30 seconds.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

don't worry, anyone who comes on here and downloads the bootleg MP3s will also be buying the official version
JudasPriest

Old Ideas song snippets

Post by JudasPriest »

Anyone who has now heard the full album care to offer a review?
mutti

Post by mutti »

not listening to one snippet.
Waiting patiently to savour the whole album once it arrives at my home.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Patience is a virtue I do not have. I listened ... and listened again ...and again.

I agree with MaryB - goosebumps is the word to use.

I also tried to find a download of the whole thing on the basis that I already have 3 copies of the album on pre-order. Alas, I couldn't find a link that worked for me so I will just have to wait until January / February with everyone else.

Wendy
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I'm with you Leslie. I want to wait and listen to the whole album at once. I haven't even heard
Show Me the Place yet :shock:. Listening to snippets now would be for me like opening Christmas
Presents early!

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
jerry

Post by jerry »

You should listen to all of the snippets at least once. Unless you're going to listen to the snippets hundreds of times if you listen to them even a few times you will barely remember what you heard. I've listened to them several times and I can't even hum a song or remember any of the lyrics. It won't spoil anything if you give in and listen.

PS. This is a fairly short album. 41 minutes.
Leonard Cohen

Return to “OLD IDEAS”