Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Maarten

Re: Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
This cover comes from the front page of the “removable appendix on culture, media and science” of one of the most respected Belgian (Dutch) newspapers: De Standaard (Feb 9 2012).

The translation goes:

Cohen gets Del Rey on her knees
Old singer prevails over young artist in the charts

Cohen-Del Rey (web).jpg

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
dick

Post by dick »

Linda and I delighted in showing the Times Square billboard to Esther Cohen! Saturday, Feb 25.
lc bill and ec.jpg
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Slovenia, article in magazine POGLEDI. Pogledi are biweekly magazine for the Arts, Culture and Society.
Article about "Old Ideas" by Jure Potokar

http://www.pogledi.si/kritike/stare-ideje-novi-verzi

Google translate

"Old Ideas is an elegant, intimate disc, perfect for those who are familiar with Cohen, who ga for years or decades, going into his lonely, dark room and he was entrusted with secrets, sometimes not even myself."

Can begrudge a man in seventyseven? Man who says: "I have no future, little is still my days?" Man who sings, "will pronounce these words of wisdom as a philosopher and seer, although he knows no more than a brief hint of songs?" A man who himself says that "Article bastard, living in a dress?"
If this is the man the name of Leonard Cohen, then definitely. Hardly would the whole history of art will find a man who has the most venerable poet of his country (Canada) changed into a genuine global pop superstar, and this one that for him it was not necessary to never compromise personal and artistic integrity. On the contrary, over the years, the sage and his position "prophet," one that "communicate directly with God" (whatever that is already), only intensified. Actually, I believe that Cohen is the best poet, when his songs himself interprets the (scarce), with music and female voices. And when we do such a master offers a new installment of "old ideas" about love, lust, betrayal, longing, death and God, we listen.
Well, it really is not about envy. Rather, it means respect for the pleasure to know him and listen. Although it is impossible to say what is most important: simple, slow and catchy melodies, witty poetry, often (self-) ironic and amazing images of plants or flawless execution with sharp voice, which is complemented by the angelic choir of female vocalists. All this works as a whole has twelve panels and good for forty years, even better, at concerts, such as a year ago in Ljubljana can convince many. And believe me, it works well on new, highly anticipated panel with a meaningful and at the same time ironic title Old Ideas. It works flawlessly! Ten songs, ten new Living Miniatures Cohen has created as we can only wish. With great supporting musicians and singers, but with the facilities that are minimalist, but without ballast and unnecessary fillers. With a voice that is the life of blunt, but full of wisdom and understanding, but also funny, as if to say: listen and learn, my dear, but everything you do not need to take one hundred percent serious.
All the songs - except perhaps the final Different Side - are slow and bring the atmosphere, which is most reminiscent of an intimate gathering to what a small club, among friends, and this deep into the night, when it is too late to go to bed, and early to stand up. When thoughts creep in various, not always most welcome ideas that are not normally given to breathe. When we remember all the missed opportunities, warm bodies, which we slip through your fingers, hands, they are not compressed. It seems that even in Cohen still remained unsatisfied passion. In the song Amen asks: "Tell me again, and I own and listen to / hear so taut that it hurts." But the more I think about those of his passions on this neizživeti love, which is present in more or less half of his new songs , the more it seems to me that it is not speaks to women or girls, which was once (or today) knew, even though it holds a reputation ženskarja (enough to listen to the panel, Death of a Ladies' Man - not really enough, but essential! ), but it addresses only one who has served all my adult life, is the muse, or poetry. Before it falls to his knees, throws it at her feet, and hopes that it will not leave you. Confession of boundless (and perhaps one-sided) love reaches its peak right in the middle panel, the song Had to Go Crazy, the only fully acoustic song in which Cohen is accompanied on acoustic guitar as the very beginning of his career, the song is certainly among the more unique in his oeuvre and who will get his place among his best: "I had to freaking out that I loved you / I had to hell / I had to live in a tower / moledovati his folly to discount." Well of course not go away , and the last is apparently lasted until his death. Also, because "craze knows the location where the hide, / which are deeper than any reputation," as the verse says any further.
Old Ideas is an elegant, intimate disc, perfect for those who are intimately familiar with Cohen, who ga for years or decades, going into his lonely, dark room and he was entrusted with secrets, sometimes not even myself. These are old ideas made endless repetition and enjoy every twist phrases in any angelic female pripevu to be precise sounds here and there, in any instrument that from time to time be summarized simply catchy tune in every word that you pronounce Grand Master. Because what gives a long, very personal prayers and hymns (Show Me the Place of the plate is one of the top), with such power and ability to be popular with many people and become universal. As is fitting for an old idea.
Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

MaryB wrote:Jeremek,

A million dollars? In my record store experience, none of the record companies have ever asked for a return on their promo products :shock: Is the store manager female? Perhaps she wants him for herself ;-) I suggest you become friends with the store manager - maybe at some point in time he/she would be willing to give him up for half the price , only half million dollars :lol: .

The other option - you could nonchalantly pick him up and make it look like he is walking out with you :lol: :lol: :?:

Best luck regards,
Mary

MARY, SUCCEEDED !!! :D :D :D
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

My little home promotion

Great Guest :)
Great Guest :)
1.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 22597 times
Old Ideas
Old Ideas
2.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 22597 times
Old Ideas and home gallery
Old Ideas and home gallery
3.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 22597 times
more here :
https://picasaweb.google.com/1100317321 ... directlink

I love Maciek from SonyMusic !!! Thank you :D :D :D (I have hope that he won't read it, or him the boss) :lol:

All friends, I am sending greetings !
Last edited by jeremek on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

These photos are great! Congratulations on you success! I knew there had to be a way to get him in your home.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

MaryB wrote:These photos are great! Congratulations on you success! I knew there had to be a way to get him in your home.
Yes. Sometimes not much need, when people are friendly.

Mary, thank you for cheering.
dick

Post by dick »

Wonderful experience and pics....many thanks for sharing them!

And, of course.......CONGRATULATIONS!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

LOVE IT! :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
tina

Post by tina »

Here are two articles I found in the main newspaper of Cologne, Germany:

"Sportsmann, Hirte, fauler Sack" (sportsman, shepherd, lazy bastard)
http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1327500711747.shtml

"Melancholisch: Neues Album von Leonard Cohen" (melancholy: new album of Leonard Cohen)
http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1323357360971.shtml
Brugge July 2008 // Oberhausen November 2008 // Cologne July 2009 // Ghent August 2012 // Mönchengladbach September 2012 // Oberhausen June 2013 // Brussels June 2013
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

The good old Cohen, returning an excellent album, "Old Ideas"

This is the newspaper article in Krakow; GAZETA KRAKOWSKA

http://www.gazetakrakowska.pl/artykul/5 ... ,id,t.html

google translation

It is a lazy bastard, a guy who does not parted with his suit. He loves talking to himself and dreams of writing songs of love. All this of Leonardo Cohenie we can learn from the song "Going Back Home," which opens his latest album entitled "Old Ideas", or "old ideas". A significant title suggests that we are not counting on any surprises. 78-year-old Cohen remains unchanged and faithfully walked the newly cleared path. Only his voice is changing, becoming lower and more hoarse, sometimes reminiscent of Tom Waits. It is, moreover, only one of the advantages of Canadian bard. A few years ago, it seemed that Leonard Cohen did not raise up after the blow, which gave him his own manager, and a trusted friend - Kelley Lynch. Woman robbed pension singer, contradicting the artist belonging to the $ 5 million. Cohen sued Kelley to court, where he fought a hard fight with a woman. This meant that at that time lived a very difficult time. He lost not only money, but faith in people. And it seemed that nothing can break him. In the end he spent up to five years in the Zen monastery on Mount Baldy, California, where he took the name Jikan, which is silent. He got up at 2.30, preparing meals for his master Zen - Roshi, and then devoted himself to meditation. Leonard Cohen was there because he felt the need of spiritual renewal as an artist and as a man. The monastery on Mount Baldy was the ideal place to find inner peace, which it sought. Leonard Cohen's career, initially only as the author of novels and poems, flourished because of the turbulent sixties. He then led active social life. He changed gloves and a woman as he experimented with drugs, including LSD. So hard to spend time on it has left an indelible mark. He felt lost and began to look for signs of life. He found them in the monastery, with its conductor, Roshiemu. With new life Zen master thanked the lines that were in the volume entitled "The Book of Longing".
Time spent in the monastery made​​, as he said that he became a different man. Took power and after ten years of artistic inactivity, gave one of the most important albums in his career, the "Ten New Songs". It contained such legendary songs as "In My Secret Life", "Alexandra Leaving" and "Boogie Street". On his latest disc, "Old Ideas," Cohen, the poet sings and melorecytuje. It does, of course, accompanied by contrasting with the angelic voices, belonging to the great female backing vocals. The great "Different Sides" artist introduces listeners to a melancholic mood. He invites us not only to meditation, singing a sad story of lovers whose shares difficult to cross the border, but also to dance.
"Old ideas" Cohen can also, however, many by surprise. In "Darkness," the artist allows himself because of an innocent flirtation with the blues, taking a break for a moment from the folk, jazz and classical, rock balladowego where this species has mastered and is associated with them by the audience. Although the only surprise at the "Old Ideas", the album listens like a perfectly sophisticated lullabies for adults. This mesmerizing album, the essence of creativity good old Cohen.

youtube clip added to Article
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saMZaooAbE
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

"Polska jest pierwszym krajem, w którym album "Old Ideas" zyskał status Platynowej Płyty".
"Poland is the first country where the album "Old Ideas" has gained platinum status".

SOURCE SONY MUSIC POLSKA

http://www.cgm.pl/aktualnosci,21546,leo ... ,news.html

google translation:

Here is the information we received from Sony Music Poland:

"Poland loves Leonard Cohen! Another proof is the fact that his new album" Old Ideas "went platinum, and Poland was the first country in which the 78-year-old artist has visited this art. Album appreciated and reviewers and fans - Master has once again proved that the poems sung before him, carrying the message ponadpokoleniowy and promoted values ​​- love, truth and modesty - never cease to be in fashion. So far, the promotion of the album "Old Ideas" provides two tracks - Show Me The Place and Darkness, and this week the latest radio hits: "Different Sides". His intriguing text in the Polish translation of Daniel Wyszogrodzki can be read on the official website of the artist - we encourage you to read and a moment of reverie with a Platinum album "Old Ideas". "
Last edited by jeremek on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

maybe this is a good reason to visit Poland, which is not in the schedule ? ! ?
:(
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

jeremek wrote:Poland is the first country where the album "Old Ideas" has gained platinum status.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31441&p=296890#p296890
tomsakic wrote:Platinum in Canada, says Sony Music Canada on its Facebook page.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Wraca Leonard Cohen. Stare pomysły są dobre. Leonard Cohen returns. Old ideas are good.

http://www.factoryofevents.com/index.ph ... 4%85-dobre

Title of the first album in eight years Leonard Cohen suggests that the old master will look to the past. But who is afraid that cuts the Canadian bard of the "Old Ideas" coupons from their legends, will be pleasantly surprised

'' Old Ideas'' Leonard Cohen, Sony Music

- I already do not have too many new ideas - smoked a few days ago in London, explaining the title of a new LP (the official premiere on Monday). In conducting a meeting with the journalists, people from the record company chose Pulp leader Jarvis Cocker. He was famed for his intelligent sense of humor, every now and then tossing another lined Leonard delicate irony questions. Therefore, conversation between two artists took the convention brilliant talk show.
Cohen probably good that day was playing. Relaxed, detached, with the freedom and referring to his work, and the biography. He was a bit like an actor in a stand up comedy. - The British press has never treated me too well - he said. - I once wrote here about me that I only know three chords on the guitar. And it's not true, I know five.
Of his voice, which recently even dropped him (hear it on "Old Ideas"): - I gave up cigarettes, so I was afraid that suddenly start to sing soprano, which after all would ruin my position. Meanwhile, sounds even deeper. I'll see what happens next, maybe the eighties I will have to start smoking again so I could hear at all.
It is difficult to say whether he felt just fine this type of convention meetings. Crumbling caller jokes definitely buy media more readily than the weary life, serioznego artist. Or decided to scoff the expectations of journalists? He - the master of mood and melancholy, as few men capable of a few lyrical verses talk about the hardships of love and death.
"You're not too old for this?"
Although it is not such a master of camouflage, as another great poet Bob Dylan pop culture, but in his career, scored after at least a few rapid phrases that make the character is neither so clear nor so conventional, as you might think after listening to his most famous composition.
Born in Montreal in August 1934, less than half a year later the world came to Elvis Presley. It's good to show what the Cohen tribe. And how different from their peers by follow.
Raised in a well-to-do Jewish family remembers what impressed him the information that belongs to the Kohen family tradition derived straight from God's anointed high priest Aaron. - I was for this reason rather messianic childhood - he says. As a teenager he had other fascinations - poetry and folk music. He read Lorca, Yeats, Whitman. He began writing while still a student he won first prize in literature. Then he clutched at odd jobs, and only disappointed by the lack of literary success in the mid-60s decided to return to the second passion - music. He moved to New York, wrote songs for others (as has become the hit of "Suzanne," which she sang Judy Collins), and finally in 1967 he entered the scene. His publisher said, "You're not too old?". Because it boils around the counterculture, which for years had a password to give the Paris student revolt of the lines of "Do not trust anyone over thirty." Meanwhile, Leonard had 33 years of experience and significant luggage. Although it was accepted by the hippie audience that the heat took it to a few folk festivals, and then bought his debut album, which, together with "Suzanne" included "So Long, Marianne" and "Sisters Of Mercy". For several years Cohen has become a favorite rebellious audience. He probably, however, he realized how fragile is the state, since 1972, when above someone asked him what success he replied without hesitation: "Success is survival."
Platinum in Norway
:D
Country legend Kris Kristofferson (written by Janis Joplin singing "Me and Bobby McGee") says that on the tombstone tells the engraved lines of Cohen's song "Bird On A Wire". Lou Reed called it one of the most influential living songwriters. His fans are musicians Nick Cave and the Pixies. Despite this, Cohen never won mass popularity.
This may seem surprising from our perspective - in Poland is the star of the late 60th and 70, when (for example due to enthusiasm and Matthias Zembatego brilliant translations) fell in love with him the next. Meanwhile across the Atlantic, none of his CDs were never to take that zamieniłoby it in a massive star. For many in the discography had only one platinum album, and it is received in. .. Norway. When the economy is over, his nostalgic themes and poetic texts were recognized only with connoisseurs. In 1984, Columbia would not even make the album "Various Positions". - We know that you're great, but if you're good? - Asked him the head of Walter Yetnikoff. And that's on the album's songs, which today is regarded as the flagship work of Cohen - "Allelujah".
This well-known of the many performances of song brought back memories of a wider Kanadyjczyku. The need was so exotic alliance of Jeff Buckley (his version has gained huge popularity among alternative listeners), "Shrek" (the soundtrack album and there are but two different versions) and the "Idol", where participants were inflamed with love for this song. Apparently Cohen fans bombard him with requests that forbade her to sing on the TV show. - For a moment I hesitated, but like why would I protest?
Buddhist saves finances
As well as his artistic path, bumpy personal life is also a Canadian. It has a reputation as a womanizer, he was associated, among others with Joni Mitchell and actress Rebecca De Mornay. His fling with Janis Joplin described in detail in one of the songs (which indeed is later ashamed). He has two children but never married.
Throughout his life looking for, not only the life partner. Fascination with Judaism, was flirting with Scientology, has been a serious stalker to a Buddhist religious practices. In the mid-90s holed up for several years in a monastery in California. Until the embezzlement came to light his accountant who cleaned Cohen of the savings account. The musician, who considered the full retirement, declared bankruptcy, and had to return to the stage to save their finances. And what seemed to be an unpleasant necessity, turned out to be the ticket to another success. Scheduled for nearly 250 concerts attracted crowds route. - It was like a revelation - says Cohen. - Playing to the vertical left me after 15 years of doing anything in particular.
I must have gone mad to love you, and now I'm too tired to go.
Cohen is now 77 years old. It happened a few years ago that collapsed at a concert in Spain, but now provides that a long time did not feel so good and now burns with the new route. Reportedly has a lot of new music and will release another album later this year. For now, fans got ten songs that show a bit more raw, natural face of Cohen. The angle went synthetic keyboards, which were the foundation for his later interior panels. "Old Ideas" is the first sound of acoustic instruments. Discreetly jazzy rhythm section, like the gospel piano, violin and banjo alive, removed from urban folk, sometimes country, which is associated with the harmonica. It's all the time, Cohen, curiously breaking convention but their songs. The most in their own way, almost like the first disc, is the ballad "Crazy To Love You". But in this "Amen" and "Show Me The Place" rubs against the aesthetics of Tom Waits, and "Lullaby" and "Darkness" surprises references to the blues, which in his work to date has not been much. Against this background, singing, and actually melodeklamuje, sometimes even muttering texts, which are back again, typical of his motives. "I want to write a love song / hymn of forgiveness / book of life after the defeat" - reported in the opening number, "Going Home" conversation with a man who just happens to it's name is Leonard.
"I had probably crazy to love you / and now I'm too tired to go" - he says in "Crazy To Love You". "You want to live where there is pain / I want to get out of town / live on both sides of the line / that no one drew a" - sings in "Different Sides".
In London, Cocker asked him what is meant by "penitential hymns," which appear in the text "Come Healing". - I do not know - he said. - Who actually should repent? The man, or rather God? Who is guilty of all this disaster and suffering? This leaves us with the attitude of Zorba. When things take a bad turn, I just raise a glass and dance.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”